The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Ruger SRx and Beretta PX4, 9mm or .40 S&W
Ruger SR9 and Beretta PX4 9mm 68 73.91%
Ruger SR40 and Beretta PX4 .40 S&W 24 26.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
labhound

Poll on new purchase, 9mm or .40S&W

I'm going to buy two stainless/polymer pistols and have narrowed my choices down to these two but haven't decided on the caliber. The Beretta PX4 (when the Inox becomes available) and the Ruger SRx. Whats your opinion, SR9 and PX4 9mm or SR40 and PX4 .40 S&W?
Old July 24, 2011, 05:34 PM   #2
TheJ

My opinion would be that you should rent them and try them all out before you purchase. I would typically chose the 9mm over the .40 but YMMV.
Old July 24, 2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Noreaster

I just went through this and purchased the PX4 in 9mm. Just my opinion but I believe the 9mm is about at good at the 40 S&W with less recoil and cheaper ammo. Nothing wrong with the 40 S&W at all, but the current ammunition available puts 9mm, 40 S&W and 357 sig in the same ball park. Check out this link to Winchester LEO ammo and make your own choice;
http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf
Old July 24, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
labhound

I have previously owned an SR9 and have rented the PX4 in 9mm but have not shot either in .40 S&W, thus the reason for the poll.
Old July 24, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
AustinTX

I can't speak to the SR40, as I've only shot the SR9 and SR9c, but I did enjoy the platform in 9mm in my limited experience with it. I don't know how the SR40 shoots, and I also haven't talked to anyone in person who has shot it yet. I can't say I know what the internet consensus on it is, either.

I typically favor 9mm (or .45) to .40 by a little, but I also think that .40 is where the recoil-dampening effects of the PX4 platform's rotating-barrel action really shine. The PX4 pistols (aside from the Subcompact) are softer-shooting than any other comparable polymer-framed service pistol in each of its respective calibers, in my experience, and I think the difference between the PX4 and others is most noticeable in .40. When I get around to buying a PX4, it will most definitely be in .40 (and then later in 9mm ). I still think it's awesome in 9mm, though.

So, I would vote for the SR9/SR9c and the PX4 in .40.
Old July 24, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
zombieslayer

I prefer .40, but thats just my preference. Which do you prefer? I dont notice much difference in recoil. But then, I work with my hands.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:01 PM   #7
labhound

^ Right now my preference is 9mm and .45. Don't own a .40 YET thats why I just looking for opinions from anyone that may be familiar with both of these pistols.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:09 PM   #8
zombieslayer

Ive not shot either of the guns in .40, but its my SD caliber of choice. Its really not the recoiling beast the internet would have you believe. I also own guns in 9mm and 45acp so i have shot all three rounds extensively. Id say try out one .40 and decide if you like it rather than buy two guns in a new caliber. Just my 2cents. But I like just about every gun i shoot.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:11 PM   #9
postmaster

cheaper is better

The 9mil is strong enough to do any duty and much cheaper. Also less recoil. I use a glock 26 and its super.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:20 PM   #10
BigShep85

one .40 and one 9mm

I would purchase and 40 in one and a 9mm in the other, that way you have one in each caliber and dont regret not buying a 9mm or not buying a 40. You could switch it up in carry and at the range that way you never get bored with either caliber. Just my opinion.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:23 PM   #11
jaysouth

Who is buying ammo?

If you are buying your own ammo, go for the nine. If you work for an agency that provides your ammo, go for the .40, if that's what they issue.

Expand your choices to include guns with more aftermarket parts, better holster selection and good customer support. Does anyone make drop in trigger jobs for Ruger or Beretta? Glock and M&P score big on aftermarket parts.

Do you reload cast bullets? Make sure your new choice does not have a polygonal barrel. Glock and H&K come to mind. Check them out.

Whichever you buy, shoot one first.
Old July 25, 2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Aristides

Px4 Inox...?

Is the Px4 coming out in Inox? I didn't know this. Are you "hoping" for the Inox, or is it established fact? I haven't seen one in any of our local stores.

I'd like to have an Inox Px4 in a compact version.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Jim243

I think you are doing it wrong, you should get a SR9c 9mm and a Px4 in 40 S&W.

That would be a good combo.
Jim
Old July 25, 2011, 10:30 PM   #14
pvt.Long

9mm is great for target, but if your going to have to use it for protection, its not very good. the 9mm travels so fast and runs a high chance of over penetration, and does not get a chance to do what its designed to do. The 40 is the prefect combo of the .45 and 9mm its not as loud and doesn't kick as hard as a 45 but is a little larger and hits harder then the 9mm.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:31 PM   #15
LockedBreech

I have the PX4 in .40 and it shoots like a 9. 9s I have shot for reference are the Sig 226, Beretta 92, Walther PPS, Stoeger Cougar, and Glock 19. I shoot the .40 PX4 as fast as all, faster than a few.

Of course, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the "harsh recoil" and "snappiness" of the .40 must be in the opinion of folks with 1" wrists. To me, with medium/large hands, the 9, .40, and .45 feel virtually identical with only tiny differences in follow-up shots.

I actually agree with Jim243 and Austin here. As a PX4 .40 owner I am close to picking up a SR9c I think.
Old July 25, 2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Get R Done Guns

Quote:
9mm is great for target, but if your going to have to use it for protection, its not very good. the 9mm travels so fast and runs a high chance of over penetration, and does not get a chance to do what its designed to do.
Do you know how many LE officers are carrying this in your opinion "inadequate" round? Well more than 50%. The 9mm is a top choice in all regards. Both are great rounds, both will perform well, and both are "fairly" affordable to shoot.

As to the question at hand? I would get the SR9C as well. Gives you the best of both worlds as far as size goes. As for caliber that is completely up to the shooter. 9mm would get the vote here, but both will do.
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old July 25, 2011, 11:51 PM   #17
AustinTX

Quote:
Of course, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the "harsh recoil" and "snappiness" of the .40 must be in the opinion of folks with 1" wrists. To me, with medium/large hands, the 9, .40, and .45 feel virtually identical with only tiny differences in follow-up shots.
Like you, I've always been a little puzzled by the .40's reputation for surly recoil. I have to pay close attention to tell the difference in recoil between 9mm, .40, and .45, but then again I was shooting hot .41 Mag at age 11 and loving it. Nevertheless, it's clear that .40 really does bother a lot of people, especially in a polymer-framed gun. My assessment of the PX4's recoil in .40 has a lot to do with seeing a good number of people who hated shooting .40 in other polymer pistols say "hey, that wasn't bad" when shooting the PX4.

Quote:
9mm is great for target, but if your going to have to use it for protection, its not very good. the 9mm travels so fast and runs a high chance of over penetration, and does not get a chance to do what its designed to do. The 40 is the prefect combo of the .45 and 9mm its not as loud and doesn't kick as hard as a 45 but is a little larger and hits harder then the 9mm.
No offense, but there's a lot of bad info in that post.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:48 AM   #18
Falcon642

In many cases, a .40 S&W pistol can be converted to 9mm or .357 Sig with a barrel change (and in the case of 9mm different magazines). It doesn't work as well going from 9mm to the other two.

The SR pistols are fairly new, but shortly someone will make a conversion kit so you can convert your .40 into a 9mm or a .357 Sig. So buying the .40 version of both guns really gives you three calibers instead of just one.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:16 AM   #19
kozak6

Cheap ammo means a lot to me, so that means the 9mm. With a premium JHP, it's also adequate for defense.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:12 AM   #20
bitttorrrent

the conversions always sound good on paper, but when they come out they are always very expensive and don't work well.

i have the px4 in 9mm and it is a great gun. looked at sr9, but the beretta won out as is smoother with the rotating barrel and the ruger is so new.

just from the forums i was expecting my px4 9mm to shoot like a 22. Had been shooting .45. But it is still a powerful weapon and those discounting the 9mm should think again. No, it won't stop an elephant, but 17 rounds in one spot will sure do something that i would not want to be on the other end of.
Old July 26, 2011, 04:11 PM   #21
GWS

My brand new Ruger SR40 is my favorite handgun already. I've shot 400 rounds out of it so far, 100 rounds per weekend, and had zero malfunctions. I cleaned it for the first time last night.

I didn't have to touch the sights....accurate enough to raise the eyebrows of my conceal carry instructor (we're shooting buddies) and it feels better in my hands than my Kahr, Kimber or any other pistol I've held.

Shooting the gun is a dream. Easy to shoot fast. Recoil is not a negative factor in this gun. The web of the hand slides up next to the slide like a Glock and makes it very controllable.

This last weekend a brother-in-law and I shot it together with his new Glock 22. His take on the two was that they were comparable except the Ruger had in his words, "a wonderful trigger." Can't say I was jealous of his Glock. Mine was just as accurate, just as reliable, and a hell of a lot better looking...with a good trigger to boot.

I'd been waiting for Ruger to make this gun. I don't personally care for the 9mm for self defense, so I never bought an SR9 even though it felt great in my hand. 15+1 rounds is impressive for a gun with that power, especially when you are used to an 8-round .45 and a 6 round Kahr.

P.S. The price is impressive for what you get.

Last edited by GWS; July 26, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:21 PM   #22
GWS

Quote:
I dont think the difference in recoil is worth the difference in stopping power than the 9MM.
That may be a factor with some pistols, but not with the SR40. You will be pleasantly surprised when you try one....my Springfield 9mm XDm carrying friend was. He couldn't believe my Ruger SR was a .40.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:53 PM   #23
Patriot328

C'mon I thought the 9 vs 40 debate was settled a long time ago... 9 won...

(I did pick 9, though. Somewhat less expensive to shoot for practice and I wouldn't want to get shot with either a 9 or a 40)
Old July 27, 2011, 12:09 AM   #24
labhound

Well the poll pushed me over the ledge. I bought the SR9 today. I had one about a year ago and for some unknown reason I sold it to my friend down the street. Now I just waiting for the PX4 Inox to arrive in the states. I can rent a PX4 in .40 S&W and see if I like it but I am pretty sure I'll go with the 9mm. Thanks to everyone that participated in the the poll.
Old July 27, 2011, 12:31 AM   #25
Jamas

Hope you enjoy it... when is the inox px4 due?