The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 12:49 PM   #26
BikerRN

Interesting scenario, and for some will provide much "food for thought."

I've never been in the "Shoot them all" camp, but I am somewhat distant and cold to people I don't know at times. It all depends upon the situation. With that said, she can argue all she wants, but she is not gaining further entry in to the house and 911 will be called, even if I have to take the phone off the hook, dial 911, and set the phone down.

There are a lot of variables here and how the situation plays out will depend upon the instigator of the actions, the female. Since I always have a gun accessable to me when I am at home, my hand may or may not be on my gun. They say "Looks can kill" and maybe her's can. She may be a diversion and her co-horts are waiting just outside the door, or she may be just what she is, an intoxicated female that has to pee.

People tend to get stupid when they get drunk. Male ot female, I don't like dealing with intoxicated individuals. Like I said, I don't believe she will be gaining further entry in to the house and 911 will be called. Beyond that I can't tell you what I would do, as the situation is not happening yet.

Biker
Old May 15, 2009, 12:56 PM   #27
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
There may be a reason that this has never happened to me, and I doubt that it ever will: dogs.

In this scenario if she really had to go, after hearing and seeing the dogs, one way or the other she would not have to any longer.

So no, no need to kill her. And I for one am not in the mindset of "killing" anyone. Loaded question! (Pun intended.)

Now, go figure...
Old May 15, 2009, 12:58 PM   #28
BlueTrain

You folks would make the best neighbors. I grew up in a small town near the railroad and answering the door to people asking for handouts. I guess times change.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:03 PM   #29
erwos

Um, no?

Where has this woman presented anything remotely resembling a clear and present danger to you?

You can make up a hundred imagined scenarios about "the guys waiting in the bushes" or "the knife in her bra", but there's not a chance in hell that would hold up in court without any of them actually playing out. Grab your gun, sure, call the cops, definitely, but shoot her? There's simply no moral or legal justification .

College wasn't so far off for me; I remember this kinda thing happening all the time, guys and girls. You always learn to lock your door in a college party town.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingEdward
This scenario really reminds me just how important immediately locking a door can be.
Yes, indeedy. I come home, go inside, let the dog out if she hasn't been with me -- and the door gets locked, even while she's out in the yard.

If someone comes to my door at that hour (or any other, for that matter -- I don't let strangers into my house), I'm not letting them in, regardless of gender, regardless of reason she or he "needs" to come in. If it's a woman in fear of her life and I have some reason to believe that she's in danger, I'll gladly call the cops, stay on the phone with them, and keep an eye out, but even (especially) if she has trouble after her in the form of a big guy with a weapon -- sorry, but I'm not going to make myself his target also.

If she gets in, the one time I don't lock the door (no one's perfect), she gets "You need to leave now" in my very best command voice, and if she doesn't leave right goshdarn then, I'm on the phone to 911. But no weapons are coming out unless she actually threatens me; if she doesn't comply with an order to leave, I may be out the door myself until the cops come, after a look around to see if she has "friends" anywhere nearby -- I see no reason to expose myself to risk by staying in the house with her if she's refusing to leave, and I have no investment in proving how tough I am. And if it's a guy, not much changes in this scenario, except that given the likely disparity in strength between me and pretty much any guy, I'd be even more likely to get the hell away.

But, um, no, I'm not going to kill her, or even show a weapon. Nothing in the scenario, as given, would remotely justify it.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:36 PM   #31
kazanski612

Quote:
What is this obsession with answering the door?

I look though the peephole and I don't know you? Sorry, Im back to the couch...
That's my favorite response yet. Perfect. If she persists, that's what 9-1-1 is for.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:49 PM   #32
madmo44mag

I said I'd send her or anyone that came in my house uninvited back out at gun point.
I never said I'd shoot her without due cause.
My reasoning is simple.
If she is a BG tool to distract me, recon my house or whatever, I just sent a very strong message that I will not tolerate unauthorized intrusion into my living space.
Being the victim of violent crime myself I can only say that experience has taught me that until you know for sure there is no treat do not ASSUME all is well.
I did once and it dam near cost me my life!!!!!
Old May 15, 2009, 01:54 PM   #33
Wildalaska

KILL HER KILL HER

SHE IS IN YOUR HOME. FOLKS WHO ENTER YOUR CASTLE SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY SHOT. NO EXCEPTIONS!

KILL KILL KILL. THATS WHY YOU WEAR YOUR GUN 24/7. FOR STUFF LIKE THIS!!! ITS A HOME INVASION!!!

KILL KILL KILL...JUDGED BY 12 INSTEAD OF CARRIED BY 6!!!!!!!!!FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS! SHES A GOBLIN! WHAT PART OF SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?

WildlethtatbealessontothemassesAlaska ™

*INSERT SARCASTIC SMILEY*

Last edited by Wildalaska; May 15, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:57 PM   #34
curt.45

no comment after WA's post.

(meaning I have no idea what to say other than I wouldn't kill her)
Old May 15, 2009, 02:02 PM   #35
Savage99

I am quite disapointed in the language of the title of this topic and of some of the inflamitory commets by others.

If this happened to me I would call the police right away.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:07 PM   #36
markj

Kill her and feed her to the pigs, they will eat almost anything...

Last summer 2 gals got out of their car in my drive, it is 1/4 mile to the next house. They were dressed in low cut tops and very short skirts, said they wanted to talk to me about Jesus. dressed as they were I assumed they wanted to do something else..... they left when I asked them to. No need to shoot either of them....

Another, you need a good dog thread
Old May 15, 2009, 02:09 PM   #37
apr1775

Oh great. I can just picture it now: some anti-gun person is reading this thread and telling their friends "those gun nuts are discussing shooting a girl who just wants to use the bathroom".
Old May 15, 2009, 02:11 PM   #38
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If I were single it would depend on what she looked like.........
I am married so it becomes a matter of is mrs.meanie... errrr I mean my beautiful bride, mrs.hogdogs home with the youngins' if not how long... Seriously though...
The gotta pee thing gets no where far in my house. My wife is finicky about junior's girlfriends using the guest bath so NO WAY! Out ya go dolly! On yer ear if no peacefully!
Brent
Old May 15, 2009, 02:12 PM   #39
ZeSpectre

This girl busts in because she's gotta go to the bathroom, what do we do?

Answer...

Depends

(pun completely intended)

Doing my best to help this worthless thread get closed down.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:15 PM   #40
KingEdward

To David,

when do we find out what happened after she push the officer and tried to proceed?
Old May 15, 2009, 02:16 PM   #41
OuTcAsT

On the up side, if you point a gun at her she may not need to come inside any longer...

Might need a new doormat though..

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old May 15, 2009, 02:18 PM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I grew up in a small town near the railroad and answering the door to people asking for handouts.
Different times!
Quote:
One of the more romantic elements of American folklore has been the criss-crossing rail system of this country steel rails carrying Americans to new territories across desert and mountain, through wheat fields and over great rivers. Carl Sandburg has flavored the mighty steam engine in elegant prose and Arlo Guthrie has made the roundhouse a sturdy emblem of Americas commerce.

But, even the most colorful dreams have their dark sides.

For nearly two years, a killer literally followed wheatfield Americas railroad tracks to slay unsuspecting victims before disappearing back into the pre-lit dawn. His modus operandi was always the same he struck near the rail lines he illegally rode, then stowed away on the next freight train to come his way. Always ahead of the law.
From this link...
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...z/track_1.html
Brent
Old May 15, 2009, 02:26 PM   #43
Erich

No one can get to my door without first getting past a 5' wall with a locked gate. Anyone inside that gate is viewable from two separate windows with a crossed field of view. I don't guess I would have opened the door, though I might have gone around behind from the back to learn why someone was inside the curtailage of my house.

That said, I can't imagine shooting a woman based on the scenario set forth. The OP asked if the circumstances would change depending on the person's dress or gender - well, of course it would. And, without seeing the precise factual situation, I couldn't tell you what I'd do.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:38 PM   #44
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Geeze David! Even though I'm sure the title of this was meant to attract attention, it's still disturbing.

Given the scenario as presented, that option shouldn't even be on the table, let alone in the title.

Add to this mess the inevitable collection of folks that advocate shooting someone for spitting on their sidewalk and this becomes a literary train wreck.

I'm closing this because even the title doesn't put us in a good light, let alone some of the responses.

If you want to discuss this scenario as presented, restart it, but let's leave the Final Option off the table, OK?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread