The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 15, 2015, 06:36 PM   #1
testdepth

TriStar Raptor Youth bolt release too stiff to operate!

I bought my 11yr old daughter a new TriStar Raptor Youth 20ga. The bolt release on this gun takes two grown men and a boy to jump up and down on it to operate it! I have never seen a bolt release this difficult to operate.

I have the gun completely field stripped with spring and bolt removed and the button is still difficult to press and impossible for a young girl or woman.

I have Googled the problem and came up with nothing. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?
Old October 16, 2015, 01:15 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. That screams manufacturing defect.
It still under warrantee? Has a 5 year warrantee.
http://www.tristararms.com/customer-service/
Old October 16, 2015, 02:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Poor fitting of bolt to the receiver. Send it back.

ETA: OK, just found out it is a semi-automatic shotgun. I'll need a parts diagram to go further.
Old October 16, 2015, 04:42 PM   #4
testdepth

Called TriStar and was informed that it is the industry standard for me to pay to ship them their faulty manufacture defect shotgun to get them to fix it. This gun is a few months old and purchased new. Doesn't anyone provide customer service any more. Done with them and I'll fix it myself. If manufacturers make youth model guns then they should ensure the gun can be 100% operated by the youth!

Thanks guys!
Old October 20, 2015, 04:02 PM   #5
testdepth

Just a follow up about this gun. A friend has a 13yr old daughter with the exact same gun and she also has the exact same problem with the bolt release.

If you intend to buy this gun for your "YOUTH" have them try the release first.
Old October 20, 2015, 09:53 PM   #6
mete

It's designed to be "safe" --If it can't be fired it's safe!!! That idea for kids goes way back. If your kid is a responsible type get it down to a reasonable real kid situation ! I had a similar situation as akid along time ago .But then we got a 22Mauser from the 30's -- pure heaven .Still have that one !
Old September 8, 2018, 11:03 PM   #7
ValricoWill

Tristar Raptor Bolt Latch Release is Stiff- no doubt

tagging in after searching if anyone else had the same issue. AND- adding this to the thread to update the next person:
Yes, the bolt latch release is stiff as a dickens. I had to hit it with my smithy hammer to get the bolt to go forward.
I tried the trick of pulling back a little, then pushing in the release- and a 50/50 success rate.
I just got the gun, took it apart and slicked it up (like it was a rifle- just custom)- and after putting it back together for a function check, the bilt just wouldn't go forward- unless I hit it (LOL). It's not a removable part that you can polish up. I took it to the range today to break it in further for the semi-action (high brass/00 buck)- so I can get it ready for the lower 7 1/2s I'm gonna load for clay/skeet/trap)- as recommended to ease the failure to feed/fire/eject issues ("stovepipes") on these Turk semis...after a few 5x5 shooting, the latch did start to get easy and easier for release (as needed because it locks open after last round)...just a stiff bugger. I found out these "issues" also:
1) Dry lubing is ok (after polishing up to 3K paper)- but this gun is like an M2-Ma Duece Machinegun, and will need oil-oil-oil after a few 5x5 shoots. As I kept shooting, stovepiping developed and it looks dry as a desert sand.
#2)- also like a Ma-Duece, it cycles a "ghost round" of sorts. You load, charge, pull trigger, the bolt goes forward further in the breech. Charge again, and NOW, now there is a round ready for firing. Be careful...Try it first at the range (safely) and you'll see- it'll cycle - set bolt after 1st trigger (no boom), then charge again- and then you are ready for live fire. Oh yeah, and you can't load up and sneak another (5+1)- that ramp stays down after that first cycling. Just posting this in case others Google search, and find this thread on the Bolt Latch release...thanks!
Old September 10, 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Mobuck

Twenty years ago, I fought with a group of foreign made pump shotguns for 6 months and finally sent 4 of 5 back for a refund from the distributor. Each and every shotgun had some quirk or defect that required additional fitting, lengthy break-in, or outright gunsmith repairs. Number 5 was nearly perfect(except for being stiff) and 200 shots with a spritz of lube every 5 shots turned it into "almost as good as a Mossberg".
No more foreign made shotguns for me.