The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2015, 06:28 PM   #1
std7mag

Seating depth of Accubond Long Range???

I was wondering if anyone was reloading/shooting the Accubond Long Range.
I'm looking at this bullet for upcoming elk hunt(if I get drawn in lottery).

What kind of seating depth, or distance from the lands, has been working for these bullets??

Nosler claims " SAAMI Maximum length is giving good results"... RRRRRiiiiight....

Thanks for any input!!

Std7mag
Old July 8, 2015, 07:17 PM   #2
hooligan1

Im jumping mine at .050. Its a 190 grainer for my 3006, and its a rem 700 synthetic, using CCI 200 lrp, and IMR 7828.
It's a dandy so far at 100 yds, taking a trip to the Vapor Trail next month to see what she'll do at 600-1000.
Old July 8, 2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Roadkill2228

I'd really like to hear about these bullets from someone with experience as well, definitely want to buy them for my .270...I typically hear that mono metal and bonded core bullets do better with a bit of jump, and that veld and target bullets like to be kissing or even jammed into the lands...this is a bonded bullet but with the profile of a vld so just thinking about it I am stumped as to what it would behave more like as far as optimal internal ballistics goes. Please somebody who has used these things chime in.
Old July 8, 2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Roadkill2228

I'd like to buy them if they're ever in stock that is. Always on back order at cabelas Canada...any fellow Canadians know of any one else who has them?
Old July 8, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Roadkill2228

Sounds like hooligan is finding good results with a "meet in the middle" approach when deciding whether to treat it like a bonded hunting round or a vld target round...some jump but not lots.
Old July 9, 2015, 05:17 AM   #6
hooligan1

Roadkill, my testing goes back about a year with this bullet. I startedwith IMR 4350, but couldn't get any precision, called Nosler and talked with a fella about slower powders. 7828 is working better for me, but still need to fine tune, ten shot group outside to outside is about 1.5 moa at 100 yds with 5 touching. I know what I think it is.....need to sort and weigh brass and quit mixing it....but it is a hunting rifle and a hunting bullet.
Old July 9, 2015, 05:50 PM   #7
math teacher

There is no advantage to the Accubond LR over the regular Accubond inside of 400 yards and perhaps some disadvantage on elk or moose. It is more fragile in front to open at a lower velocity, but stouter at the base to prevent a total blowup at close range. At a hundred yards it will open more violently than the standard Accubond and thus may not penetrate as deeply. Just my opinion.

As far as opinions, I believe only people who have a lot of experience at long range shooting under field conditions have any business shooting at game over 400 yards. It may be a lot of fun to ring the gong at 600 or a thousand yards while shooting from a bench and quite another thing to do it from over your pack on a steep hillside.
Old July 9, 2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Roadkill2228

Agreed about the no advantage inside 400 yards opinion but it seems to be a moot point...why would any intelligent person buy a bullet expressly designed for "long range" in hopes of realizing a "close range" advantage? Then again I want to try them just for fun in my .270 even though I've never had need to shoot game over 280 ish yards...just curious...and perhaps I don't meet the "any intelligent person" criteria I just set forth
Old July 9, 2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Roadkill2228

Back to the seating depth question, I looked at the product illustrations for the ablr and there isn't much bearing surface at all...it's all boat tail and ogive to get those crazy high bcs (which Bryan litz has demonstrated are only realized if the bullet is highly stabilized, more than is necessary merely to avoid keyholing)...in my limited experience bullets with lots of bearing surface tolerate and even need jump much more than low bearing surface types...I it were me loading I'd want them kissing the lands...that's just conjecture though.
Old July 9, 2015, 06:28 PM   #10
hooligan1

Deer hunting under 300 yds is why I use the regular Accubond from Nosler. Banging steel at 600 to 1000 is why I bought em on the first place.

Sometimes its a about the challenge, and when my time comes and I need a longer shot, I will rezero to the ALR and swing for the fence. Until then my 165 grain Accubond will cleanly take game to 300.
Old July 11, 2015, 03:38 PM   #11
std7mag

Thanks for all the input!!

Yes, I'm planning to use them for Elk hunt, if I get lucky enough to get the draw from the lottery here in PA.

Place I'm scouting out is fairly large field, about 400x600 yards. However at both ends of the field, there is a pipeline clearing that extends out towards 1500 yards. Hence the long range part of it. I can/do hit steel at up to 600 yards in field positions. Thus far has been with 139gr. Hornady SST, or 140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I'm planning on 2 loads in the magazine.

1st. Bullet 160gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing for in the field.
If I see something longer than 400 yards, then pop that round out, and 2nd being the 150gr. Accubond LR...

I don't plan on shooting much beyond 600 yards. I'm not there yet.

PS, Midway USA has the ABLR on sale right now...