The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
jwrowland77

CCI vs Federal Small Pistol Primer

Ok, so I'm down to my last 800 of CCI small pistol primer and like everyone knows, they're as hard to find as a needle in a haystack. However, I can find a bunch of Federal small pistol primers.

My load is a middle of the road load. Using semi-auto pistols.

Question is, can I just interchange these since I am using a middle if the road load without having to work back up?
Old January 4, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Adamantium

You can do anything you want . I doubt you will have a problem but how hard is it for you to make 10-15 rounds of ammo for a proper work-up?
Old January 4, 2013, 08:14 AM   #3
jwrowland77

True, I see your point. Just wondering.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
delta tide

I'm still new at this, but I would suggest to go ahead do a new load work up. You probably won't find much difference, but better safe than sorry. Keep good records and you won't have to worry about load work up next time you can't find your go to components.

Excel has worked so far for me. Set up a column for every component, OAL, bullet velocity, or anything else you want and a general results column. The you can simply put on a filter to show just your information on Federal primers the next time you have to use them.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
wild willy

What kind of press?I don't think you will have a load problem.But Federal don't work as well as Win. or CCI in my Hornady LNL AP primer feed
Old January 4, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
jwrowland77

I have a SS Hornady LNL but I use a hand primer to prime my cases.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Having looked at a number of charts on primer effect on velocity, the most I have seen has been equivalent to about a 4% change in the powder charge. I think if you just knock your load down 5% as a restart point, you'll be fine. Then load just 6 rounds, from 5% low back to your regular load in 1% increments to watch for pressure signs. If you have a chronograph this gets easier because you just have to get to a velocity match with the same bullet and powder to be very close on pressure. Federal standard primers tend to be mild, so you may even find they let you use slightly more powder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 4, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8
chris in va

I find them to be 'softer' than CCI in regards to actual construction. I have to be careful when seating so they don't get flattened.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Hammerhead

Unless you are at/near the maximum charge, there's no need to work the load back up for switching standard primers.

As noted, Federal primer cups are very soft.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
rajbcpa

I have been searching the Internet for 2 days for SPPs. ALL SPP are getting extremenly hard to find.

I would buy as many Federal or any other brand that you can get now since you may not be able to get anything for a while.

Yeh, I don't like Federal primers much, but I'll buy them if I can get them.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

I have used both for pistol ammo. I'm only loading for range use and plinking. I don't change my load when I switch from one to the other. Federal primers are softer than CCI primers. I prefer Winchester and Federal primers in load I use for pistols with reduced hammer springs. Both of those are softer than CCI and Wolf are so less chance of a light strike. If you are loading to get the most accurate load you can, you need to work the load back up when ever you change components including different lot numbers. For most pistol shooters I don't think you would notice much difference when changing primer brand as long as you are not trying to sub a mag primer for a standard primer.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:57 PM   #12
iraiam

I had the same problem for a bit, The Federal primers appear to be a little hotter.

I worked up some of my 357 loads up with the Federal primers and did not get to the same max as with the CCI primers due to pressure signs. I guess the benefit to this is now I have tested loads for more than one brand of primer.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #13
amamnn

Primers in Handgun loads? 4%? OMG!!!!!! --I'm having trouble stopping my buddy looking over my shoulder here from laughing so hard he gets me going too.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Jay24bal

Really?

Would you mind enlightening me as to where you can find SPP of any kind?

My supply is beginning to dwindle and I was planning to stock up when I got my annual bonus at the beginning of the year, but we all know the current state trying to find components.

Here in Northeastern Ohio, I can not find SPPs anywhere and my searches online are not turning up any better results. I found 300 Remington SPPs that were mixed in with LPP at a local shop, but that is all I can find. I am even contemplating buying magnums and working up loads with those for 9mm and 40 S&W.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 4, 2013, 11:31 PM   #15
iraiam

Quote:
Primers in Handgun loads? 4%? OMG!!!!!! --I'm having trouble stopping my buddy looking over my shoulder here from laughing so hard he gets me going too.
It is a fact that I cannot safely switch from a CCI small pistol to a Federal small pistol in several published loads without reducing the powder charge. These are at or near published maximum loads, but signs of pressure are just that.

What is it that you find funny?

Quote:
Would you mind enlightening me as to where you can find SPP of any kind?
I have had the best luck at the larger distributors, ask them when their next shipment is expected and be there with money in hand. I witnessed a full order of nearly all CCI primers sell out in one day at a local store.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
jwrowland77

The LGS where I'm at don't have hardly any CCI primers but have Federals by the box load for some reason. I plan on picking up a couple thousand now and then 3-4k more once I get paid again. Hopefully they will still be in stock.