The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2005, 09:48 PM   #1
Kayser

Dumb question : Leaving primed brass around.

I've found that I like to do my reloading on large (for me) batches of ammo a little bit per night. Inspect/resize one night. Measure, chamfer another night, etc. What I'm wondering is : how long is it ok to leave primed brass laying around (in sealed tupperware for example)? Do the primers mind being exposed like that at all? Is it considered bad form to keep primed brass in a jumble in a big tupperware container?

Thanks!
Old March 22, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

This My Preferred Way Of Handloading Also.

I have left primed brass for ten years before I needed it for a project with no problems whatsoever. Remember, the packaging for primers is not airtight and they're unaffected by normal temperatures and hewmaditty. I have used 45 year old primers with every success.
Old March 22, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

What WIL said.
Quote:
Is it considered bad form to keep primed brass in a jumble in a big tupperware container?
I hope not since I have several years supply of primed brass of various calibers in plastic containers.
Old March 22, 2005, 11:08 PM   #4
Kayser

Heh. Ok, then. Once again, thanks for the newbie advice guys. This forum rules
Old March 23, 2005, 02:10 AM   #5
CaptainRazor

Metal Coffee cans with lids are great storage devices for "ready to go" brass.

I left primed brass around for long periods (years) before loading, never had any trouble. For that matter, if it where a bad practice, you wouldn't see any new primed brass for sale either.
The only downfall I could see, forgetting what brand and type of primers you had in them, but then, you can always mark the container I guess.
Old March 23, 2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Russ5924

I got rid of all my metal coffee cans and use the new Folger plastic ones. Seems to work just fine,I do all my primeing by hand when I reload I take what I need and leave the rest,normal for me to be a 1000 or more ahead.