The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Darker Loaf

.454 Super Redhawk Gun Build Idea

Let me start this off by saying that I'm a natural tinkerer, and enjoy something that is hand built or custom.

I own an XD Service 4" 9mm V-10 (ported) which has a custom trigger job done on it. My AR-15 is a tweaked RRA's gun with some new furniture. I just built my first 10-22 from just a receiver. My Kahr K9 Elite is probably the only straight up factory gun I own.

I like revolvers, but no so much that I want to own a whole collection of them, like some of my associates, yet I appreciate quality.

So, here's what I want for revolvers. 1. I want a kit gun that will fire any 22 LR reliably (I have a 22/45 Custom Lite for more accurate .22 LR shooting)--more about this in another thread. 2. I want a "hiking/back-packing gun" for bear/hunting [I live in WI and go backpacking mostly here and in MI) or self-defense. So I want a relatively light package and a relatively powerful round. Also, I'd like to be able to practice with the gun and not break the bank.

SO, here's my idea for such a gun. It'd be based on a Ruger Super Redhawk (http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...rd/models.html), and I'd like it cut for moon clips, so I can use .45 ACP with it. I'd like to port it (because I like a ported handgun) and get the trigger worked. Any ideas on where to go to get work done? I've been looking at Mag-na-port International and Gemini Customs.

Any thoughts on a large/medium sized game revolver with cheap practice rounds? I want something I can plink with at the range and then go backpacking with and potentially shoot a bear (probably a black bear) or use for self-defense. I already own an XD 4" in 9mm, so I'd prefer something that will get me more in the black bear or brown bear territory.

I'm not especially keen on .357, because I figure I could do a Glock 20 instead someday (I like the caliber, too). .44 mag seems too light for brown (at least according to the AK Wildlife Department's caliber philosophy). Also a knock against .44 mag is that .44 special isn't cheap or common. .460 seems promising, but I would worry about cutting that for moon clips (would it be under too great a pressure?) for .45 ACP. .460 and .500 seem too big for back-packing. Also, the .500 has no cheap-plinking alternative. I like the size of .454 and weight at 53 oz, and I'm willing to compromise on the lighter round since I will be mostly back-packing in WI or MI.

Thanks for reading this sprawling, rambling post. And thanks in advance for your ideas.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
GeauxTide

I would contact Hamilton Bowen at Bowen Classic Arms.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/
Old December 13, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Nanuk

A 44 Magnum loaded with hardcast LSWC's will penetrate quite deeply in a bear. I like 240-300 grain moving at or near 1500 FPS.

TKC customs can machine the cylinder for moon clips.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
mmb713

It sounds like what you really need is a large framed Blackhawk convertible in 45 Auto/45 Colt. You can get your cheap practice with the Auto cylinder and switch over to the Colt for bear/hunting work. You can load your own hot 45 Colt or buy Buffalo Bore. And you needn't break the bank by having a bunch of custom work done.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
kahrguy

http://moonclips.com/content/example...e-cylinder.htm
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/moonclip.htm
http://moonclips.com/content/example...e-cylinder.htm
Old December 15, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Darker Loaf

Thanks for the responses on the places for custom work!

I didn't know about Bowen Classic Arms, and thanks for reminding me about Clark Custom Guns.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Darker Loaf

mmb713, can you just buy new cylinders? That's pretty sweet. Where?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:34 PM   #8
mmb713

You can't buy the cylinders separately, they need to be fitted to the gun. The convertible is sold with both cylinders. If you already have a 45 Colt Blackhawk I believe Ruger can fit a 45 Auto cylinder to it, I know they used to, not sure if they still do. Cheaper to just buy the convertible in the first place. They also have made a smaller framed 45 convertible that CANNOT handle the extra heavy 45 Colt loads. If you want to shoot those get the large framed version. The GOG link below is the large framed version.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...wk+Convertible
Old December 16, 2012, 11:33 PM   #9
jackpine

I can think of two places that could do that for you SSK or magna-port and I know at magna-port most of that would be one of there standard package deals
Old December 17, 2012, 01:11 AM   #10
big al hunter

I shoot 45 colt in my SRH 454 for reduced recoil practice. They are less expensive than 454. For the least expensive ammo you need to handload. That should interest the tinkerer in you. It allows tweaking of ammo to match the gun.

If you cut the cylinder on a 454 for moon clips will you be able to shoot 454? It is my understanding that you will not.

I saw your post in the rifle forum and the SRH in 454 and a companion lever gun would be awesome. Both should be able to run 45 colt. And either will kill bear.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Darker Loaf

big al hunter:

So you won't be able to shoot .454 through a cylinder cut for moon clips? Dang. I thought that might be the case. Is it because of the pressure that isn't supported by the area removed to make room for the moon clips? Are you sure about this?

But, if I can get two cylinders, that'd fit the bill for me. I DO want to get into hand-loading. It just something further down the road for me, since that is an investment in and of itself. I'd hand load .45 ACP and 9mm if it saved me $$$. I've got more time than money.

So, the .454 companion rifle meets muster? Glad to hear it! I was wondering if it'd be able to take .45 LC, too. I'm going to read that thread next. Thanks for the comments/info.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Darker Loaf

mmb713:

Ahh... I was hoping there'd be a bigger bore version of (Super Red Hawk) a .45 ACP cylinder, since .454 or so is what I want to shoot in the end (for hunting). .45 ACP for fun/practice, and .454 for medium/large game.

Thanks for posting that though.