The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
kingudaroad

reloading winchester 351 sl

I have dies and bullets on their way, but not much data. I have found on the net a starting load of 16.5 gr of IMR 4227 up to a max of 19.0. I think this is the powder I will be using.

Can someone with an old reloading manual confirm this data for me?

Also do you think that IMR4227 of the past has the same characteristics of the modern version.

This is for a Winchester model 1907 mfg in 1909. Thanks
Old March 20, 2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Trapper L

From the Lyman manual #45 the following info:
180 gr jacket bullet, max OAL 1.900"
Unique powder- start at 10.0 grs=1501'ps, max at 11.0 grs=1587'ps
2400 powder- start at 17.0 grs=1597'ps. max at 19.0 grs=1793'ps
IMR4227 powder- start at 17.0 grs=1400'ps, max at 19.5 grs=1751'ps

The test firearm was a Winchester 07 using the Remington bullet. The max load for the 4227 is a compressed load and most likely is beyond case capacity in that you probably can't put enough in it to do any damage. I would use caution with any old firearm and work up to the max loads if that is where you want to shoot this rifle. This same gun was my very first centerfire. I remember the recoil was more than I expected but then again, I was only ten years old. Unfortunately, it went away when my dad died and I was much too young to actually own a gun. I have been looking for one but the ones that are in great shape are expensive. Guess I'll just have to save up.
Trapper
Old March 21, 2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

One word...

Given that these are blowback operated guns, you need to keep the loads pretty close to original factory ballistics.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
kingudaroad

Thank you Trapper

This gun was bought new by my great grandfather and given to my grandfather and I got it when he died. It is not in very good cosmetic shape as I believe it rode on the side of his horse as an everyday ranch gun. Mechanically it is very sound with a nice shiny bore and good rifling. It has been in a closet for probably fifty years. I have some factory ammo and shot it the other day. It shot very well.

I hope you find one someday, I've seen a bunch for sale in the $350 to $500 range.

Thanks for the data.
Old March 21, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5
kingudaroad

Mike

You are absolutely correct. I read somewhere to start at minimum and work up to where the gun functions and stop.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I've seen a bunch for sale in the $350 to $500 range."

Hum...

Interesting.

I've always wanted one of these, but it's fairly rare to see them on the East Coast for some reason.

I know a couple of people who have them. One used to make cases by lathe turning the rims and shortening .357 Max. cases.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 30, 2007, 02:26 PM   #7
.351winchester

This thread will be very useful to me as I am about to take the plunge with my tax return and pick up the original urban carbine for around 500. I have zero experience with reloading and was kind of intimidated by the needed precision, but damned if I'll own a firearm with no ammunition. Always thought it would be cool too to save all that money by reloading, also to make special 12 gauge rounds. bottom line, I cannot get the 07 and not reload.
Anyone know where to find the 10 rounders, or IIRC 20 rd. mags that were used back in the day,( possibly LEO?) Or maybe I'm thinking of a mag for the Remington 8A.
Old April 30, 2007, 03:02 PM   #8
kingudaroad

They did make a ten round mag but if the gun did not come from the factory with it I hear that it doesn't always function without a little gunsmithing. I now have redding dies and bullets that very closeley resemble the jacketed factory load with a cannelure from Ammo Depot. I am going to shoot enough of my factory brass to reuse.

I have not loaded any yet as I am still working on fitting a rough cut forend. My woodworking skills apparently leave something to be desired.

My plan is to start with 16.5 gr of IMR4227 and work up until there is enough blast to function the super heavy bolt.
Old April 30, 2007, 04:41 PM   #9
.351winchester

if you can ever spare a box of factory stuff, just name your price.
Old April 30, 2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Tim R

Seems to me the 351 would be straight foreword. If you can read a book, follow instuctions, use a scale and have a little common since, reloading is really not all that hard to do.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Jagerdad

What's happened ..? since 2007...?

I found this thread and noticed it's dated 2007. Has anyone got an up date..?
I have a 351 and would enjoy up dated threads. So...knock-knock....? Anyone there..?
Old May 17, 2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Bboomer

Check out this link Click Here
Old January 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
RSVmax

.351 Ammo Help!

I recently picked up a .351 from a friend and would love to be able to shoot it! Finding ammo is proving to be more of a pain than I had expected. I did find some but for $3 plus per round I think I'd rather reload... My dad has an old press that he's willing to let me use... no idea make but I think its a lyman... but he doesn't have dies for .351 just .357 and .38sp... If anyone is willing to help a newbie get started on making some ammo for this gun I'd really appreciate the assistance. Also, if anyone is selling bulk .351 rounds or brass/bullets I'd be interested in making an offer. Thanks for reading this and hope to hear from someone soon.

-Ryan