The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Big Caliber

Static in the tumbler...

Anybody got a cure for it? When I separate the brass form the media (walnut) the static electricity scatters the granules worse than if I sneezed into the pot. What about throwing in an anti-static laundry drier sheet? I tried a grounding wire to electric conduit, but it really didn't do much. Help.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Sidetracked

Dryer sheets work well. The easiest way to do it is to cut the sheets into ~1/2" strips, and toss them in. It makes them easy to replace, and the pieces don't get wedged in case mouths. After a few loads through the tumbler, just toss the old ones and replace with another three cent sheet.

Some folks here have talked about using liquid fabric softener, as well. I haven't tried it, though. Maybe some one can explain why they prefer it.
Old May 26, 2008, 04:31 AM   #3
moose fat

Dryer sheets cut up.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Horseman

Tear up a paper towel into strips. Add a 1/2 ounce mineral spirits to moisten the towels. Add this to your media and tumble. The next time you take off the bowl top you will be amazed. The inside of the bowl will be spotless, the media will be dust free, the brass will be dust free and CLEAN, and the paper towel strips will be filthy and need to be replaced.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Big Caliber

Thank you all. I'll try both methods, (1 at a time).
Old May 28, 2008, 05:19 PM   #6
gandog56

Yeah, but the anti static dryer sheets....well they get rid of static, too. Cut up soaked paper towels don't.
Old June 1, 2008, 07:39 AM   #7
BHP9

I use used dryer sheets in both of my tumblers. It cuts the static but also cuts down some, if not all of the dust.

I throw them out after each tumbler load.

I place the used dryer sheets in a zip lock bag after the laundry is done.
Old June 2, 2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Horseman

Quote:
Yeah, but the anti static dryer sheets....well they get rid of static, too. Cut up soaked paper towels don't.
Actually the cut up soaked paper towels absorb all the dust and debris inside of the bowl. This means you don't have to worry about static since there is nothing in the media that is left to stick to the cases or bowl. IMO the paper towels work much better. The dryer sheets work well, but your brass, media, and inside of bowl will sparkle like brand new with paper towels and a little mineral spirits. There's literally nothing to even wipe or blow off the cases if you use this method, I promise.