The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Buzzard1

Mossberg 930 or?

I have been selling my guns, the old cruddy shotguns I have kept around all these years. Down to just a few of them left. 8 shotguns sold in the last month or two. None of them were worth anything. $350 was what I got for the best one and the rest were around $150.

Now its time to invest some of the money back into a decent shotgun for everything. No more of this haveing multiple guns stuff. Just one multipurpose.
I am looking to spent around 500-800 prefer around the lower end of the scale.

I went in to LGS and they had a Mossberg 930 12 gauge Combo barrel. Has 28inch field and 24 inch rifled barrel. Which could do everything I will probably ever need it for. They had it priced at 640. I came home and looked it up on Buds and they have it for $522 so free shipping to my ffl and 20 dollar later it could be mine out the door for under $550.

Are they nice guns? Is there something better for the money? I prefer to buy new gun, dont want to deal with used ones anymore.

My first thought was the Versamax as the gun of choice but well I dont know if it is worth the extra money.
Old June 20, 2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

Re: Mossberg 930 or?

Not for what you are getting. The 930 is a great entry level gun, runs for a long time with very little maintenance. Unless you plan on shooting 300-500 runs a week, it will serve you well.

I keep a 930 on either side of the bed for HD, I trust them that much.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
g.willikers

It's become popular with the 3 Gun competitors, if that helps you decide.
They don't mess around with gear that doesn't do the job.
You could check some of the web sites devoted to the multi gun game, and see what they have to say.
Brianenos.com has a forum section for 3 Gun.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Orion6

I just picked up a Stoeger 3000 (based on the very well received and reviewed 3500) and it has been flawless so far. I paid $450 for the black 26" model.

The older (and much maligned) Stoeger 2000 was very hit or miss, but the redesigned 3000/3500 are different guns and seem to be very reliable and well made.

I also almost bought a 930, so if you want the combo from Bud's that's a good deal. Both the 3000 and 930 are simple designs and should serve you well.

If you want to spend a little more for the latest technology, a Versamax Sportsman at Bud's is $790, and a Beretta A300 Outlander is a little less.

One more to think about is the Franchi Affinity. In black you can find them around $650 on Gunbroker, but for the money I'd get the Stoeger (same action as the Affinity). Good luck and have fun with whatever you get.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
jmr40

I've never owned the 930, but have read too many positive reports on the gun to say don't buy it. I wouldn't have much use for those barrel choices though. Do you need the 24" rifled barrel to legally hunt with? If required for big game where you live, then it makes sense and this would probably be a decent choice.

I'd prefer a 26 or 28" field barrel and a shorter smoothbore barrel for buckshot use. I could make a 24" smoothbore with interchangeable tubes work for everything.

With a ceiling of $800 the 930 is probably a good choice on a new gun. I did the same thing a few years back and ended up with a used Benelli M-1 for under $700.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Buzzard1

Do I really need the two barrels? No, I have hunted deer with a Remington Sportsman 58 16 ga and a 1100 12 ga both with fixed mod chokes. Most of my guns had fixed modified chokes, I always saw it as the do all choke if you had to have one on a gun. But with the ability to change chokes I think I could do anything with everything with one barrel with ease.

So the 24 inch rifled barrel would just be an added bonus. Looks like for 50 bucks more it would be worth it just to have. I started looking into this three gun stuff. Not really for me but I do like the idea of maybe getting an extended mag tube.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Backwoodsboy

Get the 930. I did about three years ago, has worked for me through thick and thin since. Have used it for whitetail mainly with the rifled barrel and rifle sights but also have used the 28in and choke for duck goose and many other furry rodents.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Buzzard1

Well the shotgun is going back on hold again. Day off of work didnt do me any good, ended up with some bids out on some rifles, ended the day winning three of them. All identical and need some work. So heres to hoping I can make one great one and get some money back out of the other two so I can hopefully have a shotgun this fall. Otherwise the Remington 16 gauge is going to be back out in full swing and I really dont want to go back to just that.