The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2008, 12:50 AM   #1
stephen426

Home Invasions on the Rise

We just got a letter from our local PD today. Home invasions are on the rise and they are hitting (suprise, suprise) the more affluent areas. While the typical burgler wants nothing to do with confronting the occupants, these criminals enter homes they know are occupied and hold up the owners at gun point. The police mentioned that they target people who have their garage doors open since it often means the alarm is off. I don't know if it makes sense to set the alarm if you are going to be working in the garage. I don't even think it would make a difference since they could just make you deactivate it.

That got me thinking (it only happens every so often). I'm not sure how many of you have alarms, but most have the capability of having a "panic" code programmed. It won't sound the alarm, but will send a trouble signal to the central station. I'm not sure if they call to confirm, but you could always give them a "panic" passcode. We have been tempted to try it to see what the central station will say (then call back 2 seconds later).

Moral of the story... Don't leave your garage door open even if you are working inside. Set up panic codes for your alarm and panic passwords. Set up a neighborhood watch and call the police to check out suspicious people and vehicles. I guess those who pack while at home aren't so crazy after all.

Times are tough and probably going to get worse before it gets better. Stay safe and keep your eyes and ears open!
Old September 10, 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The police mentioned that they target people who have their garage doors open since it often means the alarm is off.
There was one of these in a local suburb. Fortunately they didn't harm the occupants, only stole their van & other posessions.

"The Blue Mound incident was the second home invasion they tried to pull off late Tuesday and early Wednesday, investigators said.
In the first incident, the gun-wielding men entered the home on Calico Rock Drive through an open garage door and went to a bedroom where they confronted the 38-year-old homeowner and his wife, Henderson said."
On the next stop they ran into resistance. A husband & wife double-teamed them leaving one dead and the other critically injured.
"The Hoehns, both 34, feared that they and their children were about to be killed, so they battled the suspects.
He finally managed to get the shotgun away from the larger of the two attackers and turned it on both of them."

http://www.star-telegram.com/229/story/880230.html

First rule of security. If it has a lock, lock it. My parents leave their garage door open most of the time--I've talked to them about it but they're not interested in listening on that particular topic.
Old September 10, 2008, 01:40 AM   #3
#20fan

I'm always on to my Wife for leaving the garage door open. Hopefully this article will help her see the light! Thanks for posting it.
On a side note, around my area the home invaders are working in packs of 3 or 4. They kick both front and back doors at the same time. I have security doors on both.
Old September 10, 2008, 01:48 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Another technique is to ring the doorbell and then lure the homeowner out where he is ambushed by an accomplice.

We had a "phantom doorbell ring" the other night about 9:30. I checked things out carefully but didn't see anything. The neighbors down the street indicated that some kids had been playing around so I wrote it off. The interesting thing is that the next day our next door neighbors were out so I asked them if they had heard anything. He responded that he hadn't heard anything and then related a story from 3 years earlier.

At about 1:30AM there was a knock/doorbell ring. He, being of sound mind, retrieved a firearm and then carefully looked out a window that had a view of the porch. He didn't recognize the person at the door, and again, being of sound mind, didn't open the door. He simply waited and watched. After awhile the man on the doorstep turned to leave and at that point his accomplice who had been hiding around the corner joined him as he walked away.
Old September 10, 2008, 05:29 AM   #5
sourdough44

What about the rouse of asking for directions if someone is home & if not coming in? To me that seems like a plausable way to check things out & if someone is home to act totally innocent. Even when 'asked for the time' on the street I like to look them in the eye for a few seconds 1st.
Old September 10, 2008, 06:52 AM   #6
fm2

There is some great training coming up that deals with home invasion as a central theme. It's called Full Spectrum Defense and the thread is here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=310175

I went through the first class offered and it was an outstanding experience.
Old September 10, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Tuckahoe

It sounds like you have a good pro-active police department. Write them back and let them know you are armed and ready to dispatch anyone who attempts to harm you or your family.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Creature

While shootings are a daily occurrence here in Hampton Roads, I have noticed that home invasions are steadily increasing here as well. From the reports that I have read in the news outlets indicate the elderly or single mothers are being targeted, although anyone can be a victim.

It is why I carry...even at home. At a minimum, I keep something within easy reach.

The latest invasion here in Hampton Roads ended on a happier note though: http://hamptonroads.com/2008/09/suff...grabs-away-gun

Quote:
Suffolk home invasion ends when victim grabs away gun
By Jim Washington
The Virginian-Pilot
© September 3, 2008

SUFFOLK

A man managed to grab a gun from one of two men who forced their way into his home Tuesday night, according to police.

The man was at his front door on Bradford Drive at about 10:30 p.m., acccording to police, when two men approached and forced him into the house at gunpoint.

While being held the man grabbed a gun from one of the men, who both then ran out of the house and drove away in a gray or silver van.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call The Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:10 AM   #9
KLRANGL

Hey, a fellow Hampton Roadesian

Over in Ocean View, we've had a few police tell us about a rise in burglaries, but I dont know about home invasions (anyplace to find that statistic?). Luckily the local gov is putting lots of money into our area lately, but we still have about 3 project buildings down the street from our house that keeps me on edge... Few weeks back, a man was actually shot and killed about 30ft down the sidewalk from our front door... So I dont even walk outside to my car at night without carrying... And to think my mom freaks out everytime I open carry I failed to mention that shooting to her for her own sanity (parents live in N. VA)
Old September 10, 2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Keltyke

Cops are good for taking reports and getting information and descriptions out. They're good if they happen to walk in on a robbery at the 7-11. However, they can't be everywhere at once and can't respond immediately. Where I live, the response time may be 5 minutes or 15, depending on how busy they are and where they are.

Stay alert and stay armed.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:36 AM   #11
KLRANGL

Keltyke's post reminded me of a good (read sad) story... My friend, on his way home from his girlfriend's house late at night, saw two black clad figures casing a store after hours. He called 911 and got, of all things, put on hold! After 15min he hung up and drove away... And this was in Fairfax County, VA which is one of the highest income counties in the United States by median household income (now 2nd after Loudon I think)...
Old September 10, 2008, 11:47 AM   #12
Keltyke

Quote:
He called 911 and got, of all things, put on hold!
I believe it. Some good words and phrases to use to at least get the dispatcher's attention are:

"in progress" As in "Home invasion IN PROGRESS."
"there now" As in "Burglar is THERE NOW."
"with a gun" As in "Man WITH A GUN."
"shots fired" (if they are). As in "Man WITH A GUN. SHOTS FIRED."

I'm sure there are others. 911 gets so many calls that are
not really "911 emergencies" that you gotta wake'em up to what's going down.
Old September 10, 2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Tuckahoe

Free men should not live in fear. Ted Neugent
Old September 10, 2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Keltyke

Quote:
Free men should not live in fear.

Only armed men are truly free, and they live only in the fear their freedom will somehow be diminished.
Old September 10, 2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Creature

Quote:
Quote:
Free men should not live in fear.
Only armed men are truly free, and they live only in the fear their freedom will somehow be diminished.
Whoa. Is that an original thought...or a quote? I cant find it after a quick google.

Excellent words regardless.
Old September 10, 2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Keltyke

Quote:
Whoa. Is that an original thought...or a quote?
That's original, but the general thought has probably been expressed in many different ways.

Here's another:
The hand with the olive branch of peace must always be backed up by the hand with the weapon of war.

And one more:
If there are two countries, and one wants a war - there will be war or there will be subjugation.
Old September 11, 2008, 01:34 AM   #17
AZ Med18

This is why I kinda don't like to answer the door to just a knock. If you need in you have a key(family members) or you call me and I unlock. I hate doors.
Old September 11, 2008, 05:32 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Home invasions are always on the rise, somewhere.

I don't like answering the door either. Probably 80% of the time, it isn't anyone I want to see. Friends and family call first.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:37 AM   #19
mpage

Wait - conservative radio shows keeps telling us that Crime is Decreasing™

The one thing I wanted to point out about people knocking on your door is this: they may just be casing your place to get an idea as to when you're home. You may want to let them know someone's there even if it's just by talking through the door. If you don't answer, you've just piqued their interest, and if they do break in later that day or week, you might not be home. I'm primarily talking about daytime burglars, though.

Also, these shady-looking door-to-door salesmen can be a problem, from what I understand. My local city requires these people to have permits and encourages people to either ask for their permits, or to call the police.
Old September 11, 2008, 11:33 AM   #20
stephen426

We were broken into shortly after my wife and I got married. Burglers often check to see if people are home by ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door. We had some remodeling done and some of the alarm wires were cut. The burglers basically had all day to rummage through the house and take whatever they wanted.

Lessons learned...

1. Get an alarm system and USE IT!!! Make sure it is monitored and have battery and cell phone back up incase the lines are cut. It may actually prevent break in (posted alarm signs) and will definately minimize the damage since they will have limited time before the police show up. Set up panic codes and panic passwords!!!

2. Invest in good locks and doors. Flimsy locks can be kicked in or easily picked. Consider bars (that release from the inside) or hurricane resistant glass (since I live in South Florida). The burgler broke into my house by throwing a brick through a sliding glass door.

3. Set up a neighborhood watch and know your neighbors. Look out for each other or else everyone one will mind their own darn business. Make a list of everyone's home and cell phone numbers in case of emergencies. Heck, it may be your alarm that goes off and you might me out of town. It would be great to have a neighbor check on your house.

4. Keep your eyes and ears open for suspicious activity. I hate to sound like a snob, but watch out for vehicles that don't "belong" in your neighborhood, especially if they are driving slowly or making repeated passes. The letter from the police told us to call them if we saw such activity and they would check it out.

5. I'm not sure I want to carry 24/7, but I am really leaning towards kepping guns strategically stashed throughout the house. I don't have any kids yet so curious hands are not an issue. I have heard that secret hiding spots are often the first ones hit and leaving weapons unsecured is an invitation to have them stolen and even possible used against you. Maybe I should just suck it up and carry at home.

6. Don't leave doors open (or the car running unoccupied) even if you are jsut running in to retrieve something. Since the letter from the police mentioned that the home invaders are looking for open garages, try not to leave it open (or carry if you are going to be working in the garage).

Please feel free to add to this list.
Old September 11, 2008, 12:27 PM   #21
Keltyke

"stephen426",

I'll add one thing - get a loud dog.

I have an 80 pound plothound mix and a 65 pound pit/sharpei. Talk about noise if someone comes into the parking area or knocks on the door! Wow!
Old September 11, 2008, 12:49 PM   #22
buzz_knox

Quote:
I'll add one thing - get a loud dog.

I have an 80 pound plothound mix and a 65 pound pit/sharpei. Talk about noise if someone comes into the parking area or knocks on the door! Wow!
We have a Pomeranian rescue who weighs about 6 lbs soaking wet. He is, however, exceedingly territorial, will alert on a gnat's fart at 100 meters, and will alarm (i.e. bark so as to wake the dead) should said gnat cross into HIS territory.
Old September 11, 2008, 03:57 PM   #23
Creature

Quote:
We have a Pomeranian rescue who weighs about 6 lbs soaking wet. He is, however, exceedingly territorial, will alert on a gnat's fart at 100 meters, and will alarm (i.e. bark so as to wake the dead) should said gnat cross into HIS territory.
Another bonus with that Pomeranian (ala small dog) is that it eats a whole lot less and, thus, is much easier to clean up after...

Small dogs rule.
Old September 11, 2008, 04:20 PM   #24
chinpokojed

Still waiting on my CC license to show up so no handgun yet, but we've got some decent K9 defense in a 85lbs Doberman and her 75lbs Doberman/Lab brother..

We don't get a lot of people knocking on our door
Old September 11, 2008, 07:57 PM   #25
VA9mm

I have a 60lbs female Pitt/German shepherd mix. If someone knocks on the door she goes ballistic. Good for chasing away people selling stuff as well .