The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
NUKE HUNTER

remington 783

a good friend is thinking about getting one of these. its his first rifle and he is on a budget. hes only gonna hunt deer short range with it. what do you think for $450?
thanks for the help
Old October 22, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Kachok

A sure step up from the 770 but I don't think it is as good as the Savage and Ruger rifles if competes with. I can get a real Savage 110 for less then the 783 and that is a no brainier in my book.
Old October 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3
NUKE HUNTER

thanks for your input Kachok, glad to see that at least one person isn't afraid to speak his mind.
Old October 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Kachok

Anytime
Old October 23, 2013, 05:49 PM   #5
magnum777

I got the Savage Axis, came with a scope, it has tight groupings and shoots dead on, I got it for around $400. Great for a discount rifle.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Colt46

You could go Stevens 200

It's a Zero Frills Savage 110 that is superbly accurate and such an easy platform to tinker with you can change calibers by yourself.
Probably get them for around $300 in most venues.
Old October 23, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
taylorce1

I've heard that they shoot pretty well, but there was one review over on another forum where the guy had the extractor break in less than 30 rounds. I'd stick to the M700 ADL or Savage Trophy Hunter package for sub $500. I'd wait a year or two before I'd buy one to see if there are any kinks in them.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
globemaster3

I'm with Taylorce1 on this. Another alternative could be the Ruger American. Got another thread on those running right now.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 24, 2013, 06:01 AM   #9
NUKE HUNTER

im personaly pushing away from that remington model. hes an older guy that is just getting into hunting for his son, gotta love that. he doesnt know that much on this subject. he will probably only shoot a few boxes a year if that.all your opinions are great, thanks
Old October 24, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Kachok

Here are the inexpensive rifles as I see them.

Savage 11/110 ($450 w/scope)
Pros: Fine shooting rifles, light weight, great trigger, good recoil pad, nice slim feel, very user customizable.
Cons: Bullet picky, while accurate they don't like all bullets, flimsy feel to synthetic stock (a common problem) combo rings/scope are normally low quality.

Ruger Amercian ($360)
Pros: Very light weight, good recoil pad, short bolt throw, good trigger upscale detachable magazine, very very slim feel, good reputation for accuracy, very inexpensive.
Cons: Cheap flaky finish, super flexy stock.

Weatherby Vanguard Series II ($500)
Pros: Sub-MOA accuracy guarantee, good fit/finish, great trigger, 24" barrels, decent quality synthetic stock.
Cons: More expensive then others in class, overall bulky/heavy feel (to little ol me anyway)

Remington 783 ($360)
Pros: HUGE improvement over 770 in every way, all the accuracy goodies you could ask for, new trigger is said to be near perfect.
Cons: Has not been out long user reviews and range reports are all mixed.

T/C Venture ($450)
Pros: Sub-MOA accuracy guarantee, lifetime warranty, short bolt throw.
Cons: Recent recalls

Tikka T3 ($550)
Pros: Remarkable accuracy, comes with SUB-MOA guarantee and easily lives up to it even with cheap factory ammo, very light, smoothest action in the business, best trigger of any factory rifle, very slim/light feel, highest quality synthetic stock in class by far.
Cons: Most expensive rifle listed here, factory recoil pad is too hard for my liking.

Marlin X7 ($320)
Pros: Surprising accuracy/quality for what it costs, good trigger, good recoil pad, respectable synthetic stock.
Cons: Bolt is less then silky smooth, overall feel is a little on the cheap side.

Savage Axis ($290)
Pros: Like all Savages it is a shooter regardless of price.
Cons: Ugly, flimsy stock, gritty trigger.

Hope that helps
Old October 24, 2013, 10:37 AM   #11
taylorce1

Don't forget the M700 ADL rifles. Walmart sells the black stock with Remington label scope for $429 in .223, .243, .270, .30-06, and 7mm RM, and Gander Mountain sells the Camo & Black stocked with Rem label scope starting at $479 . I wouldn't expect much out of the scope but will probably get you by for a season or two. IMO a tried and true Remington M700 rifle for less than $500 is pretty good.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Kachok

I owned an ADL and I will NEVER touch one again, worst finish of any rifle I have ever seen I was fighting rust all the time despite regular cleaning and oiling, I would not even give it the dignity of making the list much like the 770. It was a shooter though, if only they made it in a stainless I probably would have loved that gun.
Old October 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #13
taylorce1

Most matte finish rifles will have some problems with surface rust depending on the climate in which you live. Even the matte stainless steel barrels will show rust. The reason is the media that they use to bead blast for the matte finish usually has metal deposits in it from previous use, and causes surface rust in the finish. Some barrels are better than others it is all luck of the draw as to when they changed out the media in the blasting cabinets last at the factory.

Sounds like you got a bad one, but to expect the M783 to have any different finish than the 700 ADL is wishful thinking. If rust is a true problem where you live there are cheap Dura Coat kits you can get and finish the metal as a DIY project, which if prepped properly should end your rust problems. If the rifle shoots decent it is at least worth the extra expense of a metal finish to keep you happy.
Old October 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Kachok

I had owned matte finishes before and none of them rusted like that, it was exceptionally bad, almost like the steel was low grade or something. At any rate I would never recommend one to anybody especially if they live in deep south Alabama where heat and humidity are a constant.
Old October 24, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
handlerer2

I can't disagree with any on your list, Kachok. My only reservation would be that the Tikka shouldn't cost anymore than a Ruger American, or a Marlin X.

Tikka has cut the same corners all of the rest, drilled out bar stock as a receiver, washered recoil lugs, one size fits all bolt which isn't solid, and plastic trigger guard and magazine. They have a reputation for accuracy, and are as suitable as all the others on the list. I just think them over priced.

The Vanguard/Howa is as solid a push feed as you can find, and may still be best value in rifles available, on the market today,again IMO. It isn't drilled bar stock, has solid bolt, and integral recoil lug, also a much better trigger than the first version, which I have owned since 2006 and am well pleased with.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Kachok

Tikka may use some shortcuts but the end result if so precise that it's smoothness and accuracy are beyond reproach. Mine is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and I have owned alot. That is a remarkable feat for a 6lbs rifle and I say that they are worth every nickle of what they cost, though I miss the days I could find one for $400. The man who owns my local shooting range owes seven rifles, all Tikkas. That should tell you what he thinks of them.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #17
mxsailor803

Personally I WOULD recommend the 700 ADL. Most of my huntin is in 80%+ humidity in southeast SC and as far a rusting, never had a issue. I haven't pulled out my 700 in almost 2 years (one was for a deployment, other was pistol only) and it showed no signs of rust. Now after hunt, I do a quick wipe with Hoppes No.9 and put it is the safe that has a de-humidifier. I would still take the 700 ADL over the 783 as the 783 just hasn't proven its self yet. As far as some of the others, Savage Axis is a little on the ugly side but it is a budget hunting rifle and the Ruger American has the same effect on me. Now both of them are proven to be very good shooters. I would give the American a slight nod. And I mean a VERY SLIGHT nod.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Kachok

Maybe I just got a bad ADL, or maybe it is just because my safe does not have a dehumidifier, none of my other blued rifles ever had any rust issues. I won't vouch for them but I have known people who liked theirs. I did like the ADLs recoil pad and trigger though, if it were not for the rust issues I would be happy with it, as I said it was a real shooter.
Old October 25, 2013, 07:43 PM   #19
mxsailor803

The trigger was about the only thing I didn't like about my ADL. Granted I did wait almost 10 years to swap it out lol. I ended up using a Timmney and it is world's of improvement. Amazing what a $150 upgrade will do to improve the overall feel.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Kachok

Mine was the X-Mark Pro, not a bad trigger but not Tikka good either. About on par with my new Winchester 70.
Old October 26, 2013, 07:19 AM   #21
jmr40

Quote:
I owned an ADL and I will NEVER touch one again, worst finish of any rifle I have ever seen I was fighting rust all the time despite regular cleaning and oiling, I would not even give it the dignity of making the list much like the 770. It was a shooter though, if only they made it in a stainless I probably would have loved that gun.
They do make it in stainless. Sportsmans Warehouse has had them for 3-4 years and I've seen them at Dicks too. Last price I saw was $479 ish with a cheap scope.

For the money the new Ruger gets my vote for a budget rifle. The Tikka is a very good choice, but I'd put it in the mid levels for both price and quality. And probably the most gun for the money in the $500-$800 price range.

Quote:
the Tikka shouldn't cost anymore than a Ruger American, or a Marlin X.
The Tikka stock is far better quality than the others, and easily justifies the added expense.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Kachok

While most everyone else uses mold injection stocks Tikka builds a fiber/matrix stock completely different category of construction, literally the same difference between a cheap Chinese plastic toys and Ferrari body work. That remarkably strong stock is one of the reasons their rifles are such fine shooters, and why they are so light.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Been there

The Tikka is made of better materials where it realy counts - Barrel , trigger & stock + better QC , it would be nice to see other manufacturers offering an accuracy guarantee!
If money is tight though - Savage every time !

Last edited by Been there; October 26, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:58 PM   #24
steveNChunter

Quote:
remington 783
a good friend is thinking about getting one of these. its his first rifle and he is on a budget. hes only gonna hunt deer short range with it. what do you think for $450?
thanks for the help
They seem to be good rifles for the money, but $450 is MSRP. You should be able to find one for closer to $350.

I consider the 783 on par with the Ruger American and Marlin X7. Which are all around $350. Also in this range is the Stevens 200, which would be the best choice if you plan on customizing your rifle with an aftermarket stock and trigger.

Below $350 range you have the Savage Axis, Remington 770, and Mossberg ATR.

Slightly above the $350 mark you have the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard and T/C Venture. A nice step up for not much more coin.

But for around $550 the Tikka T3 lite is the best value of them all IMO
Choose wisely