The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1
SD_Chop

7mm rem mag/white tail question

Ok, I was just looking at different 7mm ammo to try this season on white tails. I have a box of federal vital shock nosler ballistic tip they recommend for med. game. Its a 150gr. 3110fps I was wondering if the 160gr. 2950fps nosler partition round would have been better. Also am gonna try some of the new fusion ammo. Have not tried any of these yet on game, so are the 150gr ballistic tip light fast fliers gonna do the job. Or should i go with the partition round. Both seem to have controlled expansion and still have high energy
Old November 22, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

both are excellent!!!

As much as I like the NBT out of a .308 for deer I think it will come apart too quickly at 7mm mag speeds, particularly at very close range. It will definetly do the job on deer and it is an excellent bullet, but then again...so is the partition as it has a very long and successful track record on deer.

Try each and see which one is more accurate out of your rifle and use it. You really can't go wrong with either. The deer won't notice the difference!!!!
Old November 22, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Shorthair

NBT for long range, Partitions up close

I've been using a 7 mag for years and found that at less than 100 yards the NBT isn't tough enough to stay together. While everything shot with it dies, if you hit meat (shoulder) you lose the meat you hit. Partitions stay together and don't turn your venison into soup.
I'm fortunate to have a rifle that shoots both bullets extremely well.
Old November 22, 2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Rangefinder

Either one will reach vitals on a white tail without a problem. I've used both effectively in my 7 mag.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 22, 2006, 08:36 PM   #5
Twycross

I'd shy away from the BTs if the shots are going to be close (<150 yards), but other than that, any of them will be fine.
Old November 22, 2006, 09:22 PM   #6
SD_Chop

Any try the new Fusion rounds yet? Also i already have a box of BT's is it worth going to get a box of partitions too?
Old November 23, 2006, 12:48 AM   #7
sils79

Fusion rocks

I took my first Elk with the Fusion 140 grain from my 280. Oustanding ammunition, devestated the lungs. He walked about 30 yards before keeling over, it would have dropped a deer cold.
Old November 23, 2006, 12:59 AM   #8
truthfulhawk

really???

I use Federal 150 gr nosler ballistic tips...and have never had a prob at any distance. I have run rounds through shoulders, necks, ribs....and haven't seen a deer go farther than 35 yds. The round is great.
Old November 24, 2006, 11:02 AM   #9
castnblast

I've had no problems w/ boat-tails. I shoot Hornady 139 BTSP's and they work great. Flat as a pancake trajectory. I shot a 317 lb ferral/russian boar mix last season. (dressed, actual weight on a scale) One shot drop, 273 yds per the lazer rangefinder. Bullet went completely through both shoulders and made a rather large exit wound.
Old November 24, 2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Capp35

Quote:
I shoot Hornady 139 BTSP's and they work great.
+1 on that.
Old November 24, 2006, 12:10 PM   #11
winman

First of all,the ballistic tip is plenty tough for whitetails at any distance. Yes they expand quickly,there supposed to.The name ballistic tip refers to the ballistic expansion the bullet was designed for.Being a nonbonded bullet the jacket occasionally separates;but in my opinion,so what,if it gets the job done.My Dad just got a buck at about 50 yards with a .300 WSM,using a ballistic silver tip.This load pushes the bullet out of the muzzel at 3,300 fps.The buck dropped instantly,which is not supprising;since the bullet blasted a 3'' wound channel through the deer.To summarize: ballistic tip is a great bullet for deer but can do some pretty severe damage.
Old November 24, 2006, 01:34 PM   #12
ocharry

hi guys ,, i just put a 150gr. sierra HPBT through both lungs of a 140-150 lb. doe at around 130 yrds..... that bullet has worked great on other occasions,, but this time,, it wasn't the best i have ever seen,,i thought i missed her,,, threw up her tail and was gone ,,, waited about 20 min. went to where i last saw her and nothing ,,,went up to the fence where she crossed and just a spot or two ,,, so the tracking was on,,, when i found her and got her opened up it was a purfect lung shot,,, with about a coffee cup size exit,,,so i guess the bullet worked ,,just don't understand why the reaction,,, or lack of.... any thoughts...... just glad i went to check...never seen this type of reaction before..... thanks

ocharry
Old November 24, 2006, 03:33 PM   #13
JKump

Federal Fusion

Can make a commit on the Fusion rounds. I use a 308 shooting 180 grain Fusion. I took a nice spike at 125 yards. Double lung shot just behind the shoulder blade, very good blood trail for 15 yards, that is as far as the deer went. I took a big 7 pointer (170 lbs), at close range using the same round. The deer was within 20 yards and I shot down into the upper shoulder, this deer went all of 10 yards before it expired. Also can commint of the 357 mag 158 grain Fusion. I took another small deer (75 lbs Doe), at 20 yards, It went down right there. I am now a firm believe in Fusion ammo.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".