The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old September 18, 2002, 05:00 PM   #1
NIGHTWATCH

Rich?

Have you seriously considered that suggestion I made a while back about an issue of S.W.A.T. that is dedicated to the citizen gunowner/un-organized militia? It was kinda like segments of people from every walk of life who bear arms. The common people. Just wondering. Thanks.
Old September 18, 2002, 05:22 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

NW-

Rich is hunting in Africa with Ashleigh Emerson right now. Hey, somebody has to tackle the hard jobs!

Yes, we did give your idea serious consideration. At this time we simpy don't have room based on the current editorial schedule. If things change, we'll reconsider the idea.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2002, 08:37 PM   #3
NIGHTWATCH

Thanks Denny. Its something I feel pretty strongly about. So much harm has been done regarding the image of the armed citizen in this country, an appreciative effort needs to be made to educate people of the diversity within this group and the common purpose.
It seems wherever you look these days no mention is made of our contribution. Any mention of guns in the media or in hollywood (with the exception of the occassional western) is about crime or law-enforcement. If you have a gun on the screen your either a crook or a "special agent". :barf: I want to see an aknowledgement of the over 80 million law-abiding gunowners in this country who represent the truest source of hope and continued freedom in America. Anyway, Im begining to rant, sorry. Thanks for the feedback.
Old September 20, 2002, 10:09 AM   #4
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I'm in general agreement with you, and promise to do what we can, as we can. One example is the article Disabled, Not Defenseless in the current issue which deals with self-defense by those with physical "handicaps."
Denny
Old October 14, 2002, 08:44 PM   #5
NIGHTWATCH

We need this now more than ever.
Old October 14, 2002, 09:07 PM   #6
No4Mk1

NIGHTWATCH,

Thanks for bringing this btt. You are right, the topic is timely. As an armed citizen, I feel more defensive than ever. We are the "militia", and yet it seems as such we are under constant assault. Don't know where to go from here, but to agree with your premise.

HL.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
No4Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2002, 10:14 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Guys-
You have to understand the logistics involved in what you're asking. We're a Magazine, not a Newspaper or a weekly. The lead time is enormous...Feb 2003 is already set and the deadline for March articles is passed.....these issues are not worked on in series but in tandem.

Were we to make this decision Today, and put the word out, you're looking at the June/July 2003 issue at minimum. Then combine with the fact that we have to actually sell the issues we put out....ie: we need to recognize that we're a commercial venture, each issue of which is a huge financial gamble.

What you're asking is for a "vanity" issue of S.W.A.T. . Not necessarily a bad issue (I think it would be great), but an issue that is geared to a relatively small (commercial market).

Tell you what we'll do. If you raise $50K for that issue (I'm serious here), we'll kick in the additional $20-$30K and we'll dedicate every dollar of newsstand, advertising and subscription sales for that period to repayment and profit for the "investors". I assure you, you'll loose money. But so will we. I'm willing to accept that loss as long as I have partners.

What say you now?
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2002, 08:30 PM   #8
NIGHTWATCH

I didnt realize it was that complicated Rich. Please pardon my ignorance. If I knew the first thing about raising that kind of money, I believe I would try, but I dont. And from what your saying, the impact would have little effect on the mainstream line of media where it really counts. So... Thank you for your willingness to sacrifice to the point of loss. Sorry if I kept banging my head on this one.
Old October 15, 2002, 08:42 PM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

NW-
No harm, No foul...really.

The Forum is here for suggestions as to making the magazine better and more pertinent. To that end, we've learned a great deal and Denny has complied with a number of requests. The idea of a "Theme" issue is always problematic from a business standpoint, though. I presented the dollar figures only to give you an idea of the ramifications of such decision.

S.W.A.T. has grown faster in 15 months than I could ever have dreamed. I learn more with every issue. You keep the suggestions coming...we'll keep being honest about whether we can get it done.

Thanks much-
Rich
Old October 30, 2002, 05:45 PM   #10
ahenry

Just curious...

Quote:
Tell you what we'll do. If you raise $50K for that issue (I'm serious here), we'll kick in the additional $20-$30K and we'll dedicate every dollar of newsstand, advertising and subscription sales for that period to repayment and profit for the "investors". I assure you, you'll loose money. But so will we. I'm willing to accept that loss as long as I have partners.
Would I be correctly reading between the lines to assume that S.W.A.T. has an operating cost of 70-80 grand per issue?
ahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2002, 06:14 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

That's Affirm. North of 70 per.
Wanna buy it?
Rich
Old October 31, 2002, 02:21 PM   #12
ahenry

Quote:
Wanna buy it?
HAHA, nope! "Don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout printin’ no magazines." I really have never examined the business side of print media before, and 70K plus sorta shocked me. Would that expense be primarily payroll like more “normal” businesses, or primarily actual “putting ink on paper” printing costs?
ahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 05:55 PM   #13
sven

I would subscribe to SWAT (as opposed to buying the occasional issue) if it catered more to the general individual interested in firearms available to the masses. I love the detail of the reviews, but 60% or more of the coverage is on LEO/Military stuff.

I know that I am not your target audience. I am not LEO/Military, nor am I a LEO/Military wannabe. My point: if your scope was slightly broader, I would subscribe. Maybe others would as well.

I'll still support you with my occasional purchase down at Tower Books, especially when I see a review of something I COULD own.

Thanks!

-sven
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 06:16 PM   #14
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

sven,
Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your in whatever form it comes in.

Yeah, a lot of the gear featured can be used by peace officers and the military, but most of it can also be used by any individual. And no one has a monopoly on tactics be they civilians or military.

We are broadening our scope to include all serious shooters. Articles in the current issue include articles on the Kahr Arms 1911, the Taurus Tracker and Ashleigh Emerson takes a .30-30 to Thunder Ranch's Urban Rifle course instead of a tactical black rifle.

We try and have something for everyone.

Again, thanks for the comments and your support.

Denny
Old October 31, 2002, 09:29 PM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Sven-
I'll make you a deal:
- Go to http://www.swatmagazine.com/archive.htm
- Click on the covers and then look at the Tables of Contents for the past year an a half
- Discard all LEO only Features and compare what's left to any competitor.

If S.W.A.T. doesn't provide more content of the type you request per issue, I will buy you a one year subscription to that competitor magazine...cheerfully.

The point is simple: many of the other guys provide 6-7 info-mercial features. We offer 10-12 honest reviews. If 2-3 are geared to that portion of the civilian population that carries a badge, you're still ahead of the game.

Seriously, this is not a "call out" and it's not a sales pitch. But I hear this all the time: "Oh, you're a cop magazine". I can't believe that anyone who's gotten past the title can say that.

Further input genuinely appreciated.
Rich

ps: November Cover:
"Should Juries Decide the Law" (Jury Nullification Essay)
Infantry Weapons of Korea
Kahr Arms new 1911
Making the AR-15 a Better Night Fighter (Note AR-15 vs M-16)
Rock River's M-4 Entry Tactical Carbine
Taurus Tracker Pistol

Where's the "60% or more" LEO/Mil stuff?
Old October 31, 2002, 11:16 PM   #16
ahenry

Quote:
ps: November Cover:
"Should Juries Decide the Law" (Jury Nullification Essay)
Whoa! A Jury Nullification essay? I am going to have to pick up the magazine for that article alone.

BTW Rich, I should have added in my above comment that while I am curious about the business side of magazine publishing from an academic perspective, I entirely understand if you prefer not to answer such questions. It was an oversight on my part to omit that clarification.
Old October 31, 2002, 11:44 PM   #17
garrettwc

Quote:
The point is simple: many of the other guys provide 6-7 info-mercial features. We offer 10-12 honest reviews. If 2-3 are geared to that portion of the civilian population that carries a badge, you're still ahead of the game.
This is why I quit subscribing to gun mags in general. I started reading various forums where "real world" experiences by average non LEOs like me were not the spectacular wonder gun of the month thrill written about.

Quote:
I hear this all the time: "Oh, you're a cop magazine". I can't believe that anyone who's gotten past the title can say that.
Rich, I think part of that may come from the editorial content of the previous owners. I remember reading SWAT years ago and it was reviews of UZIs, and assault packs, etc. The subtitle was IIRC "Survival Weapons and Tactics"

I honestly had not read it in years because of that impression. In the last year I have made the aquaintance of a local gun shop owner, this person is a TFL member and aquaintance of yours as well. She had gotten some copies from you to sell/promote in the store. She talked me into getting one, and I have been a regular reader ever since.

Folks, it would be nice if the title of the magazine was "Honest Reviews of Firearms and Related Accessories, Training, and General Information for the Average Shooter, Plus Some Law Enforcement Stuff" but there would be no room left on the cover for photos.

I know I'm sort of preaching to the choir, but get past the table of contents and read the meat of a few articles. IMNSHO you will like what you find.
garrettwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2002, 01:42 AM   #18
sven

Rich,

Great points... don't get me wrong - it's the best magazine out there!

I think it all starts with the name... count me guilty of judging the magazine by the title on the cover. Oh, that and the articles that stick in my mind like the nuclear facility response team, etc.

Is there any chance I can get a subscription mailed in a sealed envelope to save my ultra-liberal roomates hours of lost sleep imaging what might be stored behind that locked door? =)

Side note: I scraped a Grateful Dead dancing bear sticker off my door window and replaced it with my NRA decal yesterday... I think my roomates might start getting the hint soon....

I have to say - I am very excited to see what runt does with the art direction... I will keep buying your magazine, either in the stores or via subscription.

Thanks for your passionate words and deeds!

-s

PS: loved the clip of you on the news. keep up the good work!
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2002, 09:20 AM   #19
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Sorry, no brown wrappers available. Suggest you put paper bags on your rommies' heads!
Rich