The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 24, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
mallard down

stolen Benelli

hey all, i am new to the site and i joined for a good reason. i live in south jersey and sunday night my truck was broken into and my Benelli SBE II in max 4 camo was stolen. it is 31/2 mag semi auto. i'm looking into every corner that someone could try to sell it. a tell of the gun is on the left top of the stock the top black rubber gromet pops out of the groove. if you come accross a private sale PM me for the serial #. if we stick together we can make it impossible for someone to get away with actions like this and remove the market for them and help protect other from going thru a simular ordeal. any help or opinions are welcom.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

You may wish to post this on the Buy, Sell and Trade: Rifles and Shotguns thread of this forum; http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16 .
Old January 24, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Keep a eye on armslist , or keep a check on craigs list, some listers are very creative on how guns are posted. Good luck in your search.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

I notice that people rarely post their gun's serial number. Why is that? I would thing a web site listing hot gun serial numbers might help to reduce trafficking in stolen firearms. That and why not a regulation requiring a seller to post the serial number of what he advertises as is done with cars.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
I notice that people rarely post their gun's serial number. Why is that?
You post the serial number, then somebody reports your gun as stolen from him, and then tells his local police that he's seen his gun listed by you.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:45 PM   #6
musher

of course if your gun is already reported stolen...

For what it's worth, I'd just post the sn.

Folks may not stop to PM you in the middle of a deal, but might remember the sn and PM you about the transaction.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
zippy13

Time after time, we see postings where someone has inherited a quality gun. They post the SN along with the description asking for info and an appraisal. They're an easy target because there's a slim chance they have the original paper work and the BG can gin-up a bill of sale.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:23 PM   #8
M4BGRINGO

Can't you notify the NJSP firearms unit and let them know? At least someone wouldn't be able to "legally" sell your stolen gun in NJ. Not trying to sound like a wise-arse, I am being serious.

Now, if someone has a stolen firearm (like your shotgun) they most likely are not going to ask someone for their FID and matching drivers license when they go to sell it. As you already know, the person selling a gun needs to show the buyer nothing. All the two people need is a COE and that's it. The stolen gun can be passed through many hands and may never turn-up as stolen.

Good luck with the search.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:14 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Time after time, we see postings where someone has inherited a quality gun. They post the SN along with the description asking for info and an appraisal. They're an easy target because there's a slim chance they have the original paper work and the BG can gin-up a bill of sale.
I never thought of that, Zippy, but I don't see how knowing the serial number makes you a easy target. If the BG steals your gun then he will have the number and get a bill of sale made up, so how is it easier to know the number and "gin-up" the phony paperwork in advance of the theft?
Old January 25, 2012, 03:22 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I never thought of that, Zippy. If the BG steals your gun then he will have the number and get a bill of sale made up, so how is it easier to know the number and "gin-up" the phony paperwork in advance of the theft? I just don't see how posting the serial number makes you a easy target unless that enables the BG to look up to see if the gun is registered before they steal it.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #11
zippy13

K-Law, my friend, you missed the point, he doesn't steal your gun -- he claims it was stolen for him. After all, he has the description and the SN -- must be his.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:56 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

Zippy. I was wondering if you possibly could have meant but decided that kind of scam was to stupig for anyone to try; BG claims the gun was stolen from him, shows me some phony bill of sale, and tries to con me into giving him the gun left by GrandPa. In that case I can see why you would want to keep the sn private.

Still, that sounds like a pretty stupid scam. If someone tried to pull it on me, and even if I didn't have the original paperwork, I would introduce the BG to my local PD. I can see why you would want to keep the sn private.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:46 AM   #13
mallard down

good stuff

to all, you all make verry interesting points and have supplied me with new knowedge. i have my local PD involved and also calling pawn shops with in a 30 mile radius. i will also be at the philidelpia gun show this wekend. i was also informed that a fella in the next town also had his Benlli stolen from him that same weekend. not 2.5 miles from my house. were we targeted? how would they know. i have been watching craigs list but nothing. i cant explain how it feels to know that my gun is out there. again thank you all and i appreciate you interest in my situation.
Old January 25, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

That thing about the guy 2.5 miles away having his Benelli stolen the same weekend may mean something like there is a connection. is there any chance that you both had a service man in your homes for some kind of repair or cleaning? Talk to that guy if you can.

Do you have a Molly Maid? I have heard that sometimes they will pass information to the thieves. I was really ****** when a guy sent out by an HVAC company asked if I could help him with his recent conviction on a weapons charge; felon in possesion of a firearm. Talk to that guy if you can.

I would pass that on to your PD and you may want to ask on calguns dot com under its LEO forum if any of the officers can think of what that connection may be.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; January 25, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:09 AM   #15
mallard down

Theklawman, thank you for the wed, i will be checking that out. i do not use any outside maintenance or cleaning companies othe than our exterminator that visits a few times a year but no stone unturned. i will be atempting to make contact today.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
shortwave

Think I would extend my pawn shop/gun store search distance further then 30 mi. radius. NJ LE probably has a unit that checks pawn shop merchandise but calls from the victim to the pawn/gun shops telling them what happened to you and your neighbor including serial numbers would give them a heads up what to look out for when someones first brings a gun in to pawn/sell.

Don't know how things are run in NJ but if it's anything like Ohio, once your gun is reported stolen, the description and ser.# of the firearm is put on the 'hot sheet' of stolen guns and circulated to all pawn/gun shops throughout Ohio. Many times when the thief takes a gun to the shop, if the shops not interested (looks,actions of seller)they tell the thief "not interested". But if you make the call to the pawn shop telling them of your circumstances, there's a slim chance(BUT STILL A CHANCE NEVER-THE-LESS) that they will remember the 'heads up' you gave them and stall the thief while they call LE.

This above scenario just recently played out for a friend of mine that had two guns stolen. He's only recovered one but is thankful for that.

Also, you may want to talk to the other victim and see who you both know in common. Do you both shoot/hunt in the same places?

Goodluck!

Last edited by shortwave; January 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Sgt.Fathead

I lived in NJ most of my life. There are no pawn shops selling arms there and really, I doubt this gun is going to show up for sale. In use as a sawed off for hold-ups in Newark or Camden, yes. Sorry to hear about the theft and I hope the OP has no issues with the NJSP or his local for it. Draconian laws in that state, man.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #18
7.62 Nato

" i will also be at the philidelpia gun show this wekend."

See if you can contact the Gun Show promoters or security at the show location. Give them your gun info and ask them to keep an eye out at the door. I'm assuming guns walked in are safety checked (unloaded) like around here.
Old January 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #19
mallard down

i check out the gun show in Philly, no really impressed. prices seemed to be inflated. i talked to the right people and gave my info. i'll keep my fingers crossed. GOOD NEWS.. i mentioned that someone not far from me was robbed as well and stole his gun. i made contact with him to find out that PD cought the guy and returned the gun. there is hope.
Old January 28, 2012, 06:32 PM   #20
TheKlawMan

So does your PD know about the guy caught in the town a few miles away? Don't assume that they do. Call them.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:54 PM   #21
mallard down

k-law, im on it like white on rice. seems that there a lot of Burglaries going on in the adjacent towns. House break-ins, vehicles being broken into. They just caught two kids in their young 20’s in my friend’s house. He walked in on them and the PD’s dogs ran them down after they jumped out of the window. Totally different crew involved. If the economy doesn’t turn around soon I’m afraid crime is going to spin out of control. Especially with all the signs you see on people’s front lawns stating “no more police lay-offs”. The crooks can read too.