The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
shopsteward

Charles Daly Broken Bolt Handle

I have a Charles Daly 12 gauge semi auto that has broken 4 bolt handles. I'm not sure why, but believe that the bolt handle might be hitting something when fired. As this is a cast part, it may be that it is so week that it breaks from the vibration? The last two broke after only one box of shells was fired through the gun. It looks as though the gun could be fired without the bolt handle as it may only be needed to empty the magazine. It looks like, if the gun had had shells in it, it would continue to fire until the last shell was shot and then the chamber would stay open allowing another shell to be inserted, then insert two shells into the tube chamber. Any help will be appreciated.

Shopsteward
Old September 12, 2011, 12:49 PM   #2
BigJimP

I've never seen a bolt handle break on a shotgun in ...50+ yrs ...so there is something wrong...

I think I'd have a gunsmith look at it .../ and if its hitting something it would be pretty obvious ...and if you eliminate that, then it has to be a strength of material issue ....and I'd certainly replace the bolt handle with something from the aftermarket if you can find it.

There are a lot of aftermarket bolt handles available for Beretta, Benelli, Remington, etc ..but I don't know what's out there for Charles Daly's ...

but breaking 4 handles ---is at least 3 too many ...
Old September 12, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Goatwhiskers

I've worked on several, won't touch another. Parts are basically not available as the importer folded. Numrich bought everything they had, but they haven't had what I needed. Bolt handles and locking lugs break, saw one that had the action slide where the bolt rides split from end to end. The Turks apparently have a real problem with metallurgy. Only one person's opinion, but I think the darn things are only good for boat anchors. Goatwhiskers
Old September 12, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4
zippy13

Greetings shopsteward, and welcome aboard.

Charles Daly is a phoenix in the gun world. It's not a manufacturer but an old name in firearms importing. Guns with the Charles Daly name have come from Europe, Asia and the Middle East. The brand will be around for a while, then disappear, only to re-appear a few years late after someone else has bought the rights to the name. Who knows if it will ever re-appear. Those of us who have been shooting for any length of time have seen Daly come and go. If your Daly was a car, you'd probably have decided that it's a lemon and have dumped it long ago.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Opinated

I really know nothing about that shotgun except what I read in this thread. Sounds like it has no value other than a firearm to use, no collector value. If it was mine, I would fabricate a functional equivalent of the bolt from steel in my shop. Glue up the original broken part with epoxy and use that to make a jig to hold steel pieces in alignment while I cut, bend (with heat), weld, grind to make something that will work. I have MIG, oxy/acetylene, stick arc welder and a plasma cutter plus two metal cutting bandsaws. And two Dremel grinders. Takes some time and effort, but it can be done.

Last edited by Opinated; September 14, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6
BigJimP

or buy a steel one - from another mfg - and modify it a little so it will work ....

But even if it was made out of a hard polymer - it still shouldn't break 4 times ...there has to be more to the story ...???
Old September 14, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Before putting money into it, find out what was causing the bolt handles to break.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:45 AM   #8
shopsteward

Thanks for the replies. I know the guns are notorious about breaking locking blocks and the bolt handle as both parts are cast. I have had the gun for 8 years and when purchased, it had a lifetime warrantee. The first problem was a broken locking block, which was repaired under warrantee. Then the locking block broke again and by that time Charles Daly was out-of-business. I was able to contact the manufacturer in Turkey and they were great about sending replacement parts, even a new assembly that included a differently manufactured locking block that eliminated the locking block breaking problem. I have attempted to contact the manufacturer again, about the bolt handle breakage problem, to find out if they have solved that problem, but have not received a reply. I have one bolt handle left and don’t want to use it as it is one that I can use to pattern a replacement part from. I was hoping that one of you was familiar with this particular problem and already had a solution (other than a boat anchor). I really do like the gun as it is light with little recoil. I am not a metal craftsman and am not sure if I can really make one that is an exact copy of the original bolt. I had thought about making one out of a screw driver. I was also wondering if the bolt needed to be in the gun in order for it to shoot. Looks like it would shoot without it as it might only be utilized to open the chamber to insert a shell when first shooting the gun and to empty the shells when done shooting. If I could get your thoughts, I would appreciate them.

Thanks,
Shopsteward
Old September 15, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
BigJimP

Yes, the gun will cycle without a bolt handle in it ....but I don't recommend it.

You need the bolt handle in the gun ...to rack the bolt back ..and lock it ...to unload a round from the chamber. Whenever you move around with the gun ....in and out of stations on a clays field / in or out of a blind ...etc / you need to unload or lock open the bolt ...so everyone can see the gun is unloaded. Not having the bolt handle in there - would make that next to impossible.

I don't know - but its also possible that other mfg's bolt handles might fit that gun ....or whoever makes that gun / or made that gun ...is now making guns for weatherby, etc ...and they use some kind of a universal bolt handle...but spec it differently ...one gets "pot metal", one gets steel, etc ...so I'd still say, go to a gunsmith and get this figured out ...about why its breaking / and see if you have some options.

Bolt handles are available ...because on occasion ...they do fall out and are lost ...on some guns they're notoriously loose / and on some guns notoriously tight ...
Old October 3, 2011, 01:59 PM   #10
shopsteward

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but as BigJimP stated, it must be hitting something. I tore the gun completely apart and found a recoil pad that the bolt strikes when fired. Sure enough the bolt had mashed the pad allowing the bolt to travel a bit farther and bolt handle to hit on the back of the receiver window. I believe this is what was causing the bolt handle to break. I then contacted [email protected] who manufactured the gun. I explained the problem I was having and was told that they have replacement parts to correct this problem with broken bolt handles. It cost me $100.00 for the parts and shipment, but I think was worth the cost. They sent me a picture of the replacement parts and it includes “bolt recoil pads”. It also includes instructions for installing the new parts and talks about checking the receiver window for bolt handle clearance. I think if one just relpaced the bolt recoil pad, that might fix the problem. As I previously stated, I have had the gun for about 8 years and have put a lot of rounds throught it. If anyone would like a copy of the picture of the relpacement parts or a picture of the installation instructions, I will be glad to send them (not sure how to post pictures).

Shopsteward
Old October 3, 2011, 05:01 PM   #11
BigJimP

Interesting ....thanks for the update.
Old October 4, 2011, 05:06 AM   #12
kozak6

This must be a particularly widespread issue as Numrich now has reproduction bolt handles. Although, they might not be all that useful if a worn out bolt buffer is the real problem.

It's neat that you were able to contact the factory for parts.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:11 PM   #13
shopsteward

I just received the new parts today. They include;

1 action bar sleve
1 action bar
1 bolt assembly (includes complete breech bolt assembly)
2 bolt handles
2 bolt recoil pads.

Now to see if this fixes my problem with broken bolt handles. Previously, I had problems with broken locking blocks, but that was fixed when I was sent a breech bolt assembly that had a beefer locking block. I only wish that I had know about these parts earlier, because these new parts contain a fix for both the locking block problem and bolt handle problem. It has taken me over a year of research and e-mails to solve these problems. I hope that this may help sovle problems for other Charles Daly shotgun owners.

Shopsteward
Old January 4, 2012, 09:43 AM   #14
thomascw

Did the new parts fix your problem?
Old January 7, 2012, 12:25 AM   #15
HKGuns

Quote:
If your Daly was a car, you'd probably have decided that it's a lemon and have dumped it long ago.
^^This^^

A buddy of mine had a chucky-D for exactly ONE hunting season. He had a similar failure that rendered the shotgun inoperable in the field and it ruined his out of State hunt.

He sent it back to Chucky-D, they fixed it and he sold it.

He went out and bought a Beretta 391 and hasn't had one failure or mis-feed of any kind since. Sometimes you do get what you pay for......not always.

My recommendation is that you follow in my buddies well worn footsteps!
Old January 25, 2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Dashon

locking block for charles daly

My dad has a Charles Daly also and the locking block broke in it! Will the manufacturer you spoke of at [email protected] be the best place to try and get another locking block for his gun?
Old January 25, 2012, 05:53 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Quote:
This must be a particularly widespread issue as Numrich now has reproduction bolt handles. Although, they might not be all that useful if a worn out bolt buffer is the real problem.
See if you can get the buffer fixed before putting any money in a handlle. Perhaps you can get the parts from Numrich.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:01 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

WOW!!! A hunert bucks on a lifetime warranty?

My mossberg may or may not have had any warranty...

After 20 years, I called them and informed them I needed to buy a new rear stock attaching bolt...

They got my address and never asked for a credit card number... I had told them I wished i could buy some of them nice window decals...

The manilla envelope arrived in 3 days with a factory stock bolt, several for sale decals and a new catalog...

Them fools never asked me for a dern dime either...

Brent
Old January 27, 2012, 07:20 PM   #19
shopsteward

When I first got my gun, I had problems with the locking block breaking. Charles Daly was still in business and they replaced it. The new parts that I received included a complete breech bolt assembly. The new breech bolt assembly consists of the breech, bolt handle, locking block, firing pin, and extractor. All the parts are better made than the originals. This completely corrected my problems (broken bolt handle and broken locking block). I got all my parts from Akkar Mfg. in Turkey. Before I contacted Akkar about replacement parts, I tried to get them from Numrich, but they were sold out of the parts that I needed. Actually, contacting Akkar directly may have worked out better. I found that they had replacement parts that would correct all my problems.

I noticed that Numrich has gotten additional replacement parts and they might now carry the same parts that I got. It would be important that you get the same parts that I got as they are much stronger. You can call them and ask. Make sure that you do replace the recoil pad and get the new style oval bolt and bolt handle.

My sons also has the same gun that I have (bought them at the same time). One had the same problem and I sent for the same replacement parts for his gun. This time the parts were held in airport customs and I don’t even want to think about the trouble I had getting them released. So, if Numrich carries the parts, I think it would cost about the same as I paid. Also, the replacement parts I put into my son’s gun went right in without any modifications.

I guess I would not have bought the gun if I had known about these problems, but I didn’t and now it seems to be fixed. I really do like the gun. It is light with little recoil and at my age light is real good. Anyway, I wish I had known gold was going to be $1700 an ounce.

Shopsteward