The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 24, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
waynem34

wire brushing lead foulings

seems like i have to do alot of dry wire brushing to get the lead out of my barrels;still never seems to get completly clean.Ive got my ammo slowed to 1000fps maybe alittle more lol.I use hoppes 9 solvent.any other worth there salt?
Old June 24, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2
BruceM

Lewis Lead Remover or Chore Boy wrapped around old bore brush.

Bruce
Old June 25, 2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Don P

If you are shooting semi-autos you can use a solution of a 50/50 mix of peroxide and white vinigar and soak the barrels in the solution.
CAUTION!!!! this mixture WILL DAMAGE/REMOVE THE BLUEING FROM FIREARMS
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 25, 2010, 08:40 AM   #4
celtgun

Lead Removal

www.Big45MetalCleaner.com
This stuff works great, better than the Chore Girl, which is pretty good also.
For $5 you get enough for a lot of cleaning. Been around a long time, Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton used it. Two of the "Grand Old Men" of gun writing, and great pistoleros for sure.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"I walk on untrodden ground. Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better be alone than in bad company."
GEORGE WASHINGTON, (1732-1799)
Old June 26, 2010, 01:40 AM   #5
tachunter

Get 7.62 Solvent. It eats copper alive. And cleans your sinus problems.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:25 AM   #6
velocette

How about coating your bullets with Lee Liquid Alox along with your standard lubricant.
This virtually ended the barrel leading I had.
Next, adding a gas check can stop much leading.
Better to not put the lead there than struggle to remove it later.

Roger
Old June 27, 2010, 05:11 PM   #7
TXGunNut

If your barrel is stainless try a tornado brush. Lewis lead removers work pretty well (if they still make them) and something called Lead-Away dissolves it but will also attack your bluing.
Sounds like your bullet lube or bullet diameter needs work. Gas checks could work if you like pushing lead fast
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 27, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
probum

leading

use 4 OOOO steel wool and kroil on a brush or jag will clean the lead out of the grooves, a tornado brush will grind off the corners of the rifling as the stainless steel is harder then the barrel metal and will NOT get down in the corners to
get the lead out.....4 OOOO steel wool is softer then barrel metal and harder then lead mixes............I don't have 600 listings but do have over 50 years experience shooting lead.................
Old June 27, 2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Jimmy10mm

Friend of mine has a Wilson video where he demonstrates cleaning lead fouling with chore boy around a bore brush as BruceM said. Wilson uses it dry with no solvents. He only uses the solvent on the jacketed rounds. Looked like it would work really well. I've apparently wasted a lot of Hoppe's Nitro Solvent and time in my life.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The Chore Boy (which is 100% copper and not copper plated steel as some others are, so use a magnet to check before you buy) and the Big 4 Metal Cleaner pads work, as do the Lewis bronze patch devices.

The best way to use those is get the bore good and wet with PB Blaster or Kroil the day before you use them. Those super penetraters get between the layers of lead where the carbon separates them and makes them easier to brush out by any mechanical method.

There is also now a lead solvent by the makers of Wipe Out, called No-Lead.

The advice to add Lee Liquid Alox or (less expensive) White Label Xlox to the bullets is good.

I don't know what kind of gun you are shooting, but if it is a self-loader, try seating your bullets out so far that when you drop a cartridge into the barrel, the case is flush with the breech end of it. This way you are headspacing on the bullet, which I find both improves accuracy and reduces leading significantly. The only limitation is some guns won't let you do that with all bullet shapes before they cease to fit the magazine or feed reliably, so you'd have to try it on your gun.

If you have a revolver, you need to slug the chambers to be sure they are a minimum of half a thousandth wider than the groove diameter of your gun. Meister Bullets makes what looks to be a good slugging kit if you are unfamiliar with the process (but get a micrometer that reads ten thousandths, and don't try to get away with using a caliper for the measurements)? You also need to slug to be sure you have no constrictions in the bore? They are common in revolvers where the barrel screws into the frame. They are also common in lever rifles where dovetails are cut for sights or for the forward magazine tube mount. Constrictions cause massive leading, be they in the bore or at the chamber throat. Firelapping will clear them. Alternatively, cylinders can be reamed.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 29, 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Ifishsum

A couple of years ago I broke down and bought a Lewis Lead Remover - Brownell's sells them - and I really think it's worth the cost if you shoot a lot of lead, especially for a revolver (due to the forcing cone attachment). There are certainly other ways to remove leading, but few are as quick. One pass with the LLR is usually all it takes to get it cleaned up. I like that.

If you shoot multiple calibers you can simply buy the extra jag set and screens without buying a whole new kit.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Loader9

Here's a cheapy and quick way to get the lead out. Use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Point the barrel down for it to drain in a well ventilated area. Spray generously until the liquid is running out of the barrel. Have a pre- prepared patch that will go down the barrel as tight as you can force one down it with out sticking. Run the dry patch down the barrel. Watch the lead fall off of the patch. The secret is not the solvent but the cold temp change of dis-similar materials causes the lead to "unstick". The tight patch pushes it off of the steel and out with the patch. But you can't wait to run the patch down the barrel, it has to be right after spraying it. Repeat if necessary but allowing the barrel to warm up to room temp again. It's also a fabulous carbon remover too.