The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Dan31

Carry Choice

So I have my eye on two different .45's both have rails which I like one has the 4.25" barrel length and the other a 5" barrel. Since its wet and rainy or cold and snowy up here in WA I have decide to wear a jacket made for carry instead of a holster. If I were thin and not a large framed man I would wear a cross draw style holster since I'm left handed. But being 6'5" tall and broad chested I feel the jacket will work for me since I work mostly outdoors.

So will one or the other be better suited to carry? The 5" barreled version is also a double stack.

Opinions?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Creeper

Hi Dan... another lefty here.

Barrel length has less a bearing on the "quality of concealment" than one might first imagine... IMHO, less so than the length or shape of the grip frame. 3/4 of an inch in barrel length isn't going to make you or break you.

I'm afraid that I am completely unfamiliar with a jacket that allows concealment of a full size handgun... not a clue as to where the gun is or how it's oriented or secured in the jacket.
Just to toss around some general considerations... both guns (probably) have a government length grip frame, but we don't know if either gun is round butted or bob tailed (less likely to snag clothing or have a sharp corner to "print"), or how wide the grip frame is on the double stack vs. the single stack (a minor point, but worth consideration with snug fit clothing)... so it's kinda hard to offer really useful advice without having more information.

Truth be told, as you're 6'5" and (probably) have a chest 15-20" larger than your waist... I suspect you could conceal both equally well.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:45 PM   #3
ScotchMan

Frame width and grip height tend to be the most critical dimensions to me. Assuming the 4.25" gun is proportionally smaller (and they usually are), that is probably the easier gun to conceal.

However, I would say the one you shoot better is probably the right choice if you can comfortably carry either one.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 10, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Dashunde

Dan, my defacto answer for a ccw is always... thinner is better.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:22 AM   #5
tristar viper

Thickness is kinda important to me, but my big thing is WEIGHT. I cannot stand a heavy gun on my side, thus the reason my 226 Navy does not see carry duty....don't even have a holster for it.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Dan31

Since I started doing a little more research I found that I will probably end up buying a Tanker Style cross body style holster like The Walt from First Spear since a true shoulder holster would limit me if I needed it fast and I would be swinging even wider to draw it. I will be practicing more with my weak hand so I can carry in any position on my body.