The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
cw308

Case Trimming

I'm shooting a 308 med. load for target only, use fire formed Winchester cases, neck sized. After trimming the case to specs after sizing, do you resize the case neck after trimming
Old August 13, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

resize before you trim
Old August 13, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
wncchester

Right. No one cares how long a fired case is, only how long a sized case is. Trimming won't change the neck diameter.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
cw308

Thanks for getting back but I did size first, measure & trim. My question is after you trimmed a sized case do you resize to be safe nothing changed. I am not full sizing the case, I'm neck sizing
Old August 13, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

No, but before you necksize do you tumble or lube the inside of the necks? I use various powders for bottleneck cases and some stretch necks more so due to the dragging on the up stroke of the press. To stop the excessive neck stretch I tumble and lube inside the necks before sizing and trimming. This is my process depending just how much time you want to involve in the brass that you reuse. Yes I also anneal my brass when needed, depending on my loads or times/fired.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
cw308

NESHOOTER

Thank you, yes I go through the same steps as you. I also first clean the outside of necks with 0000 steel wool & clean inside of neck with a 30 cal. nylon brush before tumbleing. I've been reloading for years and it just came to me that the trimming process might change something in the neck, being the last step before loading. I guess it's crazy ways to make our groups tighter. My best group was 100 yards dead center 3 rounds in one hole couldn't shoot 4 & 5 didn't want to spoil the look, kept the target. Thanks again Chris
Old August 14, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7
NESHOOTER

Exactly, and by the way great group I have stopped at 3 as well why mess with perfection on that group. Plenty of time to try again it just makes you feel good, when that 1-hole group shot.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

I clean my brass, neck size and then deburr the case mouth. Not sure what brand of neck sizing die youre using, but Ive had good results with the Lee collet sizer. No lube is required and the collet presses the neck to the mandrel
Old August 15, 2013, 08:08 AM   #9
cw308

DAVID

I hear all good things about the LEE Collet die, I'm using the RCBS neck die & the Redding compition seating die. I shoot 1 round at a time, this might sound over the top but I mark the side of the case with a little line so the round sits in the chamber at the same position for every fireing. Thanks for getting back. Chris