The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 21, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
DasFriek

Carry an extra mag?

To date i dont,but i havent been carrying long.
My PT745 is 6+1 wich i carry chambered.
My 1911 is 8+1 carried chambered.
None of my holsters have added ability to carry mags,nor do i have a seperate mag holster.
I know this is a personal thing,but i dont plan on needing more the 7 shots of course that could be a bad plan.

If you do how do you carry them?
Do you feel i should carry extra? Why?

Also ill just throw this out as ive thought about carrying extra mags in my Benchmade knife pouch.Does anyone think these can be "made" easily? or a bad idea?
If you do carry mags how do you carry yours?

Last edited by DasFriek; August 21, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

To quote Clint Smith. "If you get killed, don't let it be for lack of shooting back."

If your knife pouch will hold a mag, practice with it. If it works, use it. If not, get some mag pouches.

I don't think to well of the holsters with a extra mag pouch as I wear my holster on strong side hip, that would put the extra mag far from my off-hand for reload (one man's opinion).
Old August 21, 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
KyJim

I don't usually carry an extra mag in my everyday back and forth to work routine. Occasionally, I'll carry an extra mag if I'm going other places. Sometimes I'll use a mag carrier but often just stick one in my pocket.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:15 PM   #4
DasFriek

Good points on all.
I forgot to ask but if you do carry mags how do you carry yours?
I have 2 knife pouches wich are belt carried horizontal with velcro and one adds a buckle,wich isnt too good if you need it fast.But it does cover the mag better and harder to get made.

I wear rather tight jeans so pocket carry isnt gonna work.No room for one and too hard to get out if needed.
I only carry IWB for my weapons so any suggestions should take that into account,so the mags will need concealed also.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:28 PM   #5
AK103K

I carry two spare mags in a double carrier on my belt, on the off side. It rides right behind my Leatherman, which works well to block it from view.

I personally think you need to carry at least one spare mag if you carry an auto. It has nothing to do with capacity (but as was mentioned, theres nothing wrong with capacity), it has to do with function, or specifically, malfunctions, and the guns weak point, the mag itself. If you have a problem, the time to figure it out isnt in the middle of a gunfight. Get the old mag out, and the spare in and go from there.

As Willie said, you dont want the holsters with the mag carrier on the holster. You want a good, specific carrier, made for the mags you use, and wear it on the side of the body opposite the gun, or at least, where your off hand can easily access them.

Knife pouches can work OK, but tend to hang to low on the belt, and you can usually still see its a mag in the pouch from the front (or rear).
Old August 21, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
DasFriek

I use horizontal belt mounted knife pouches,so you can kinda see from the top.But they do cover the mag so well you dont see the plastic end cap.Just the blued portion of the mag shows.
Anyhow ill still look into purpose made mag holsters,suggestions?
Im guessing these need concealed like the weapon does.Since i use IWB i think i should start there.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:57 PM   #7
AK103K

The only other bad thing about the knife pouches is, if someone does see it and asks to use your knife.

I carry IWB too, but I dont use an IWB mag pouch, as I find them very uncomfortable. The belt carriers I've used all ride with the bottom of the mag at the bottom of the belt, so nothing shows below the belt.

The couple I use lately are Blade Tech and Desantis.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:46 PM   #8
dairycreek

I carry an extra mag no matter what auto I am carrying. The magazine is the weakest part of the seml auto system. To carry an extra mag is not for just extra ammo but to be able to respond in case there is a mag problem. Semper Paratus!

GOOD SHOOTING
Old August 21, 2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

We get this post alot around here and it some how degenerates into a shouting contest.

Hows this, its a personal choice, just like everything else. Some people carry extra mags, some don't. For me its a comfort issue. I'm already carrying enough stuff; cell phone, wallet, gun, keys, etc. I just don't need anymore weight.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:50 PM   #10
Chuck Dye

If you elect to just drop a spare in a pocket, be prepared: it will prove to be a lint magnet and may not be reliable even if frequently cleaned.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:26 PM   #11
DasFriek

I dont see anyone fighting,i dont see this as a life and death decision.Handy? yes. Neccessary? no
If i have room,right clothing and not so worried about being perfect in concealment then yeh i see me try it at least.

In the pocket would never work,too much crap in them and i wear tight jeans.
The baggy jeans never felt right to me,plus i wanna show off my bum as it should be dissapearing soon since im almost 40.

I seen a IWB mag holster from Galco that seem to fit my needs well.But i can see the knife pouches coming in handy tho.
Old August 22, 2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Check out this thread -- http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=372381

FWIW, I carry whenever I legally can. I most often carry a 1911 (usually Commander size). I sometimes will carry an H&K P7M8. I wear the gun in an IWB holster on my strong (right) side at about 3:30. I carry at least one extra magazine, and sometimes two, on my weak (left) side in a single or double (as the case may be) magazine pouch worn OWB at about 8:00.

I carry weak side because I've trained to reach for the fresh magazine with my left hand and drop the old magazine with my right just as my left hand acquires its grip on the fresh magazine. A speed reload in 1 to 2 seconds is doable with training and practice. Carrying a spare magazine in a pocket or some improvised pouch could slow things down quite a bit.
Old August 22, 2009, 01:11 AM   #13
Crankylove

I carry a spare mag for my 1911 sometimes, when I think about it, and can find it. When I have it on me, it goes in my back pocket. If it isnt on me, its usually in a door pocket or glove box.
Old August 22, 2009, 03:12 AM   #14
Conceal Carry

Quote:
If you do how do you carry them?
I carry three extra magazines in a belly band.

Quote:
Do you feel i should carry extra?
That's a personal preference, as you have said yourself.

Quote:
Why?
I don't want to get stranded in a fight with no ammo, it's only a hundred or so extra grams..
Old August 22, 2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Magyar

Just what's in my pistol. I'll use what's between "my ears" before the cavalry arrives...
Old August 22, 2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Dr Raoul Duke

I also
Quote:
use what's between "my ears" before the cavalry arrives
,. It's called situational awareness. Between the Mekong, the PD and now, I'm either a walking example of this, or so overwhelmed by it that I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. You guess. I also carry two spare 9 round magazines for my SA XD40 SC in a vertical velcro pouch over my left kidney. Between the 10 to start, that gives me a total of 28.

Are we talking about normal people this time, or George Romero Zombies? I have more ammo for my CCW as well as a Ruger 10-22 in my van!

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever
Old August 22, 2009, 09:20 AM   #17
pax

There's already an active thread about this topic: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=372381

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread