The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 16, 2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Bigjaw

Help choosing See through rings on bavarian stock.

Greetings everyone! I was looking for some advice on choosing some hardware on my pending rig. I have a CZ 550 Medium Mag (300 win mag) on the way.

I've held one before and find that the hogback Bavarian stock sets up super fast over the battue quarter rib. I hunt in Michigan and like to move around and I'd much rather shoot my iron sights withing 150 yards so I found this ideal. That said, if I see something beyond 150 yards I'm going to use a scope.

I'm 6'1" and when handling this gun previously I checked the fit if I would need to raise my head to view a scope and it doesn't seem like it's a problem, especially with the eye relief on either a Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch.

Anyone have a recommendation on a reliable set of rings I can peep under that are offset so I can keep the lens forward (again, exploiting the good eye relief and making the bolt easier to manipulate)?
Old April 17, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Bigjaw

Disregard. I got a call from the seller stating they discontinued the battue quarter rib which I was head over heels for. I want what I want the way I want it or not at all so I bought a Browning BLR in a takedown which I've had my eyes on also. Not as accurate I'm sure but plenty accurate enough and man are they sexy
Old April 17, 2009, 11:13 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

See through rings, on any rifle, put your head too high for good shooting.
Practice at 150 do you? Can you hit a 9" pie plate, off hand, every time at 100?
Old April 18, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Bigjaw

I've never had a problem shooting 2-4 inch groups over iron at that range with any of my guns in the past minus an old 30-30 lever action that nobody's ever been able to hit the broad side of a barn with.

We'll see how I do when I get my new gun. I agree that raising the scope has drawbacks simply by changing the cheek weld but frankly I think people spend too much time fussing over details and loosing sight of practical field accuracy. One guy told me that I should buy synthetic if I ever plan to hunt in Alaska because wood swells... I'm not saying that's in incorrect statement but people have hunted successfully for a hundred years in cold weather and never second guessed their rifles. It's probably colder here in northern Michigan than Anchorage anyhow. I'll hit the kill zone, raised scope or not, beyond 400 yards if the rifle is true, I'm not worried about that.