The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2006, 12:43 PM   #26
meplat

Quote:
For another purpose, I recently made a series of loads to see how LIGHT a load I could make for my 9mm Makarov and still have it function reliably. The result was a round that has about the muzzle energy of a 22LR, but still works the slide every time. I can shoot those all day and never get a sore hand or wrist (plus, the brass pretty much just flops out at my feet, instead of being hurled 10 yards into the weeds and rocks.)
Wrangler,

Can you tell me where to find these loads listed? I've been looking for a reason to own a Mak, and you may very well have just supplied it to me. This would make (it seems to me) an excellent "introduction" pistol for bringing new folks into the sport, without even the burden of being "ugly" - quite the opposite as a matter of fact. And, the new shooter would not feel like a dweeb because of being started out on a rimfire, but with a "real" caliber. Sounds like a heck of a combination to me. NOT hunting brass makes it even more alluring.

I know of one Russian SKS that has introduced somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen new shooters to the sport once they got past it's looks. The major response after firing the first round has been pleasantly surprised smile, a "that didn't hurt at all", and a bunch of spent rounds in short order.

Hmmm...a light recoiling Mak, and an SKS....need to dust off the 28 gauge for a durn nigh perfect easy day at the range for some newcomers...
Old March 4, 2006, 01:00 PM   #27
caz223

originally posted by wrangler5
Quote:
/snip If (when) you decide to look at a "real" progressive press, and if cost is a factor in your decision, be sure to take into account the cost of adding additional calibers to whatever press you're considering. /snip
That was the reason I went with a 550 rather than a 650, that, and the extra time involved in changeovers.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:21 PM   #28
Dave R

Quote:
A couple of questions for you Dave R. Do you buy your bullets by the hundred locally? I doubt it.
Sorrry to admit, I do for .308. I buy Sierras or Speers for about $16/100. That's 16 cents apiece for bullets. 1.7 cents for primer (bought by the hundred) and 6 cents for powder. Call it 24 cents a round or $4.77 per 20. Milsurp .308 is cheaper, but not much.

One of these days I'm gonne buy some milsurp pulldown bullets and cut my cost a lot more.
Old March 5, 2006, 06:09 AM   #29
maas

i like to reload just to do it. i think in the long run i save on my pistols (45acp and 45 colt) save on my rifles (308 3006 22-250 338) and spend more on my shotguns close to it i like to make a mag 2 3/4 ....1 1/4..... 7 1/2 load so i can use it on most upland birds the 338 is the real money saver. i think i cut costs in hafe and that was using nossler partition bullets $45 bucks a box i was crazy that day well then again it was the day i bought the gun so i guess i was jacked up mostly i use seirras because their bullets all weigh the same next up 250 grn game kings

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 6, 2006, 11:50 AM   #30
Crosshair

Quote:
One of these days I'm gonne buy some milsurp pulldown bullets and cut my cost a lot more.
Bought 2000 pulldown bullets for $100. 110 grain carbine bullets for plinking, 150 grain bullets for more serious stuff. Brings the costs down quite a bit.