The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 13, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
homesteadfree

Newbie Yugo SKS questions

Hello, I hope to soon be a gun owner. I don't know what changed my mind about owning a "semi automatic rifle" (not an "assault rifle" as I myself used to call them). I think it's the way things are going...not good, and that I'm planning to own a sailboat soon and travel around, so...and now that I'm getting a little older I reminisce childhood memories of going hunting with my papi I'd like to do that kind of thing again. Luckily, I live now in Florida where our freedoms to own and carry arms have not (yet) been taken away.
Anyway, I've been looking at the SKS rifles and they seem to be inexpensive and well made so I'm leaning toward them. I thought about the M1 carbine but the ones that work are the old ones which seem to be now collectible antiques and expensive at that.
I'm looking at a Yugo SKS that has the factory built 10 round(?) magazine. Will this rifle take the other magazines, like a 30 round, also? Also, I've heard that some of them had the grenade launcher welded over. How can I tell from a picture if that's been done.
Thanks for your response.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Garycw

The 10 round mags work the best, but the 20 round Tapco mags work ok.the Chinese NORINCO SKS would also be a good choice with chrome lined barrel and with a simpler gas system. The paratroopers have a shorter barrel if you can find one.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
tahunua001

I would also recommend a Chinese SKS instead. it doesn't have the grenade launcher to worry about and the gas port doesn't have the same problem of rusting shut, the Chrome lined barrel is also a plus if you plan to shoot cheap surplus ammo out of it.

now for the magazine question. the factory 10 round magazine in SKS are designed to be a fixed box mag. you can't just drop the mag and slam a new one in like some other paramilitary designs. instead you have to completely fieldstrip the rifle to get the factory mag out. however once you do that you can put the rifle together(without the mag) and start using the tapco/promag 10/20/30/40 round mags just like you would on anything else without requiring the field strip. the tapco 20rd mag I have for my chinese works 100% reliably but I just prefer loading from strippers with the factory mag.

one thing to keep in mind is US CODE 922R. one of the most worthless pieces of legislature ever signed but none the less something that we must abide by. many SKS are imported as a curio & relic, meaning that it is historically significant or fairly collectable in stock configuration. however if you start changing things(like high capacity magazines) then it is no longer considered C&R and then requires you to have no more than 10 foreign made parts in your SKS from a list of 20 parts. the yugo SKS has 15 of those parts total but all other SKS only have 14(no grenade launchers/muzzle devices). changing the mags drops 2 parts from those lists and usually changing the stock will drop within compliance but it's irritating to say the least.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
farmboy

Don't discount the use of stripper clips, as the rifle was originally intended. They're cheap, easy to use, and once you get used to them, just as fast or faster than changing magazines, if speed matters to you.

I will agree with looking at an SKS without the grenade launcher. there are fewer parts involved, and the balance so much better without it.

Feel free to post back with any other questions. You'll get a variety of responses, one of which will hopefully meet your needs.

Good luck.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Boomer58cal

First off you don't need to strip the gun to change to a 30 rd mag. You push one botton(well pull back) and the stock 10 rder comes right out. That simple.

Second... my 40 rd mags are way faster than strippers. You'll have to reload 4 times just to equal one mag. I then I just slap in another 40. I've not had one failure from my after market mags. Not one. Plus if you ever scope your rifle strippers won't work unless you use a very short scope.

Third... Russia/chinese type 56 are your best bet but yugo's are pretty good too. IMHO norinco's are hit or miss. I'd check a few out to find one that has a nice trigger and slick action.

You'll love the sks. Built like a tank and as reliable as the sun rise.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; June 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
new_camper

Be sure that you check and see that the firing pin moves freely in the bolt of whatever version that you get. If they are stuck you can get a slam fire. Easiest way to check is to take the bolt out and shake it up and down and make sure that it rattles (from the firing pin moving back and forth).
Old June 17, 2013, 08:14 PM   #7
tahunua001

Quote:
First off you don't need to strip the gun to change to a 30 rd mag. You push one botton(well pull back) and the stock 10 rder comes right out. That simple.
um... no, that only releases the floor plate, the magazine body remains intact. the trigger group holds the magazine body in place.

Quote:
Second... my 40 rd mags are way faster than strippers. You'll have to reload 4 times just to equal one mag. I then I just slap in another 40. I've not had one failure from my after market mags. Not one. Plus if you ever scope your rifle strippers won't work unless you use a very short scope.
so if you had a single 40 round magazine and I had a stock 10 rounder and we had to fire 80 rounds and all our ammo was on stripper clips you seriously think that you could get your 40 out and loaded all the way to max again and have all 80 down range before the 10 rounder with strippers?

modularity is the only advantage that the high caps have over fixed. if you are restricted to only a single mag the stock mag is superior.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:06 PM   #8
seanc

Changing out the stock 10 round box mag does not require stripping the gun down. Just a firm press to release the trigger guard, remove the trigger group, then the fixed 10 round box mag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQYBn98HNE

tahunua001, in your tight scenario, you win. In the real world where we're allowed to own more than one mag, Boomer58cal wins.

Per the Original Post, please check out the following thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526126

Also, since this is going to be your 1st gun, you'd be well served by buying a .22lr rifle. I'm not trying to talk you out of an SKS, I'm trying to point out THE BEST WAY TO LEARN ABOUT GUNS. Period. Still buy an SKS
Old June 17, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9
tahunua001

Quote:
Changing out the stock 10 round box mag does not require stripping the gun down. Just a firm press to release the trigger guard, remove the trigger group, then the fixed 10 round box mag:
the trigger guard is the only thing that holds the action to the stock, with the removal of the trigger guard you have pretty much field stripped the rifle. besides that was not the assertion made by boomer, he stated that by simply releasing the floor plate you can remove the original magazine, an assertion that is incorrect.

however, if a person really does want to carry around a bunch of duckbill mags more power to them. I much prefer to carry stripper clips as they are lighter and I can carry more of them for the same amount of weight. my argument that if a shooter is restricted to 1 magazine, be it a matter of expense, or he just forgot his/her extra mags, the metal mag is more capable in prolonged engagements.
Old June 18, 2013, 07:39 AM   #10
seanc

Boomer never says "removing the floor plate", he says you push one button. I wouldn't confuse the trigger guard button with the sliding mag release tab.

I always felt removing the trigger guard and magazine was optional when field striping and usually the very last thing I'd do to separate the barreled receiver from the stock. I also understood removing the firing pin was optional, but I did it every time, none the less. All optional takedowns are required for initial cleaning.

Field stripping an SKS: 1. verify unloaded 2. verify empty chamber 3. engage the safety 4. remove dust cover 5. remove recoil spring 6. remove bolt carier and bolt 7. raise the gas block mounted gas tube lock lever 8. remove the gas tube and gas piston 9. move gas tube lever all the way up to remove short op rod and spring
To also remove the barreled action from the stock, MAKE SURE THE SAFETY IS ON, then depress the trigger guard retainer button at the rear of the trigger guard (not as easy as it sounds) until it pops off, then lift off the trigger guard and magazine.
Old June 18, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

I remove and replace the stock mag all the time. If the trigger group needed to be removed I'd have to remove the pistol grip on my tapco stock. I haven't had to so far. I use my stock mag when shooting from the bench. Maybe it works differant with the tapco stock. I don't know.

If you just feel like using stipper you can still use 40 rders. Still better than 10 rds no?

Boomer

P.S. I agree with getting a .22 to learn on. Single shot or bolt would be best but I use my 10/22 with tapco stock for a cheap training gun. It's not the same as the sks but close enough.

Edit. I wanted to add a thing or two.

I can also preload my mags with strippers. Or use strppers at the range to reload.

In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. Erwin Rommel sorry couldn't help it.

Last edited by Boomer58cal; June 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 01:40 PM   #12
seanc

Boomer:
You can cut a notch in the Tapco pistol grip, just under the trigger guard, to allow you to get in there with a phillips head screwdriver to depress the trigger group retaining button thingamajig. That's what I did to mine instead of having to remove the pistol grip all the time. SKS + Dremel = Happiness
Old June 18, 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Boomer58cal

I've been thinking about doing that but thanks for the tip. I've just had to many projects to get to it.

So many guns so little time

Boomer
Old June 18, 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
tahunua001

Boomer said:
Quote:
You push one botton(well pull back)
as you do not pull anything back to remove the trigger guard then one must assume he is talking about the floor plate release, a device that is not intended to fully remove the magazine.

if it does remove the stock magazine, either you have a very out of spec rifle or the person that owned it before you modified the rifle to do so, standard SKS design does not allow removal of the magazine without also removing the trigger guard.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Boomer58cal

Could be I guess. I've been looking for years for the perfict sks. Not a scratchon it. I don't think it was issued. It's the cleanest sks I've ever seen. If it's out of spec somewhere I sure can't find it. 200% better that the norinco the guy had when I bought it. Works for me. I only use the stock mag on the bench anyhow. Shoot 1.5 to 2 moa with cheap ammo scoped. If I do my job that day. No complants here.

Good day. Boomer
Old June 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #16
homesteadfree

Great response and information amigos!

Thanks for all the response and great information. I've been reading and watching a number of videos regarding the SKS. What a great rifle! Great and glorious History!
I remember my dad's 22 rifle well, and his 12 gage. Don't need to repeat that...
This rifle will certainly fulfill my needs. Too bad we can't buy them still for $99!! I'm waiting for mine to arrive. It looks brand new. We'll see when all the grease is removed...Yes, I will definitely clean it and check the bolt firing pin for proper and loose back and forth movement to prevent slam firing. What do you think about the spring loaded firing pin? Some say you need it if you're going to fire reloaded ammo.
Looking forward to the next show down here in FL to buy some ammo. We have it cheaper than on-line prices. Ordered some stripper clips as well.
This rifle is the best kept secret in the United States of America, every citizen concerned about self defense and the defense of the republic should own one. Ironic, that we obtained these from our nemesis...gets you thinking about who the real enemy is...
Best regards amigos!
Old June 20, 2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Boomer58cal

Ageed on that last part. I love mine and I have 3 AR's

I hope you love yours

Boomer
Old June 20, 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Bacteriophage

If you got the Yugo, just watch out for the gas port switch. If you close it, the gun doesn't cycle, which once confused the heck out of me at the range. On the up side, closing it turns the gun into a straight-pull bolt action, which sometimes improves accuracy.

My Yugo is my favorite gun right now, since I tweaked it a bit.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Jim243

I don't want to argue with anyone here, but the mags are easy to change out but stripper clips are cheaper and work just as well.

This is a C & R model and this is what it is suppose to look like. (without the rail and scope)

Jim

Old June 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #20
tahunua001

unless that was imported prior to AWB it is also a 922R violation.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Boomer58cal

I'll only buy non pre-ban unless it's a super deal

Boomer
Old June 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #22
Mac's!

The Chinese SKS rifles are less complicated, in that they have fewer parts. (No grenade launcher stuff) Generally speaking, less complicated means fewer moving parts which equals better reliabilty. The Yugo's have the gas selector switch for the grenade launcher system. It can get stuck in one position. It can also fall out during disassembly and the little button can get lost. Yes, the rifle will fire without the selector switch in place but only as a clunky bolt action rifle.

Regarding mags: I have several SKS rifles of the Chinese variety. I tried the Tapco mags and a couple of off brand metal ones. I could never get them to work reliably. Yeah yeah! I know! "They're great! They always work" etc. But, I couldn't get them to work reliably. It seemed like if the mag was pushed this way or that would affect how well the rounds fed. Plus, I realized that the detachable mags defeated the purpose of why I got the SKS rifles in the first place.

Yes, I have numerous rifles with detachable mags. AK's, STG 58's, 10-22's, etc., but I also wanted a medium caliber semi rifle with a higher capacity mag that would not catch on furniture, brush, etc. The flared in mag on the SKS rifle fit that requirement and the ten round capacity isn't bad.

I found the perfect compromise between mag capacity and flared in style with the Red Star twenty round mags for the SKS rifles. They look just like the 10 rounders and are flared in but stick down a little more. I had to shave a little off of the front of the feed lips to keep the rounds from chambering to low but after that, they are 100% reliable. I still load them with stripper clips but the last 2 or 3 don't go in real easy.

The op mentioned a sailboat. Now I'm not a sailor but it seems to me that a sailboat would have tight spaces, close quarters and lots of ropes and such. A medium caliber fairly short rifle without a mag hanging down would be good. The SKS rifle with the flared in mag style would be a good choice. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old June 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Boomer58cal

Mac's...

I was just wundering if your sks is a Norinco or other chinese build sks? I've seen several Norinco's that didn't like duck bill mag's. Arsenal 26 type 56's seem to work beautiful with them.

Boomer
Old June 21, 2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Garycw

I haven't ran across any that didn't accept the duckbill mags unless its the M model which takes AK mags. The poly Tapco mags seem pretty good with thick rigid lips. Some from Canada I think we're thinner and if left loaded it would warp the top lips over time. One advantage of poly mags, is that you can sand/file them for a tight fit, verses removing material from stock. If your not worried about keeping original which will decrease collector value the drop bolt mag mod will make life easier with detachable mags. There's easy YouTube videos on this.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Boomer58cal

Oh the mags fit the norinco's fine, but wouldn't feed well in the two I've seen. Some Norinco's are well made and some not so much. I think it depends what day of the week it was made.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; June 21, 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Tags
sks 30 round mag