The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
browninghunter86

Ar-15 Sights

Just purchased my first black gun....DPMS Oracle 16" 5.56/.223 and put a red dot sight on it. Sighted in at 25yds

what is the best way to mount front sights......gas block or handguard? Will co-witness with red dot sight

Looking at possibly adding a set of back up flip-up iron sights on it and was wanting to know what is a cheap brand of sights that are reliable and function well?(I am on a very tight budget) Have seen UTG and NcStar and MagPul
Old February 14, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
browninghunter86

lots of info posted in this thread thanks
Old February 14, 2012, 05:57 PM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Well, I have my front sight attached to the gas block. As for rear BUS, I went with the YHM but traded it to my brother for a Magpul. The YHM is metal, the Magpul is plastic. The YHM was smaller (which I liked) but I prefer the ergonomics and ghost ring on the Magpul. It is cowitnessed with an AimPoint, I can't remember which model...
Old February 14, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Justice06RR

Magpul and YHM iron sights are the most popular brands, but there are a few others. I'd mount the front sight as far forward as possible.

I'd stay away from NcStar scopes. I had one that would never zero. UTG/Leapers is fine. I currently have a 6x32 on mine and it holds zero fairly well at 25yards.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Inspector3711

Quote:
UTG/Leapers is fine.
I like mine... For $32.99 at Midway you can't beat the price and it gets great reviews.