The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
CajunPowder

Cabelas NEW website

Cabelas has their new website up and looking in the black powder pistol section ... prices are UP!

$300 for a Pietta Remmie ! That's on the front page of the pistol section, dig deeper and it looks like the prices come down.

It's not as straightforward and the zoom feature on the pictures doesn't seem to be working as well.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2
mizar

You have to open the desired product's page - then it will show you if the product is on sale. One more thing - the "sort by price" function does not include the sales prices. I believe that Cabela's will take care of this issue.

Boris
Old September 26, 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
CajunPowder

It looks like a premature release. Number one mistake that CEO's who know nothing about websites or website promotions do is push everybody to release the site so they can feel like they are actually part of it ... then they go golfing and their friends tell them all the errors and things they overlooked, then the CEO goes back and yells at everybody. Been there, done that.

No excuse.

They better put that Black Powder line back on sale because they will lose sales.

Premature release, same old story.

But they can make up for it with extra special super specials. And the CEO will yell about that ...
Old September 26, 2010, 08:59 AM   #4
ClemBert

I like the old website better. I always thought it was one of the better ones out there.
Old September 26, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
CajunPowder

My question is WHY did they change it when it was working so well? Why fix it if it ain't broke.

So now, millions of web visitors have to re-learn the interface.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:46 PM   #6
RWBlue01

"So now, millions of web visitors have to re-learn the interface."

That is the idea. Every time someone has to learn a new shopping area, they may stumble upon something they didn't plan on buying and buy it.

The flip side is, you can not change to often or people will get ****** and not stop buy AND whatever you go to, it has to be able to get people to what htye want to buy.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:26 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

RWBlue - good points you made! Cajun - I gotta admit, I'm thinking like you though - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am pretty patient, but nothing @#$%@#%$ me off any more than to have to learn how to navigate through a new website, especially if it is full of bugs. If I can't find something easily instead of having to "wade" through it, I usually just forget about getting it there and go somewhere else to buy it. Same thing goes for shopping in a real store that you walk in to - if the people who work there don't want to work and help the customer find what he is looking for, or try to fake their way though it instead of just saying "I don't know" . . . . I'll go somewhere else where "customer service" means something. Hopefully Cabelas will get their act together and get their site so it's easy to use and navigate.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 26, 2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

I just went there and noticed right away it was a lot slower than the old one. As far as I am concerned this is a big mistake. I thought the old site had a good balance of speed vs features. The new one does not, not to mention all my bookmarks are no longer valid. I just wish people could leave well enough alone, an example, I used to use Excite for my email and a few years ago they changed it. It was a lot slower and more complicated so I gave up on it. I switched to Yahoo which is not perfect, is one heck of a lot faster loading and easier using than Excite in my opinion. I hope that Cabelas can get their website more like the old one in speed and features. I don't go to the Midway website as much as I used to before they changed it because it is slower and more complicated than it used to be.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old September 27, 2010, 08:59 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

The web sited looked the same but prices are nutz! I guess that drives the value of used guns up.
Old September 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Just tried - web pages not available.

New web page is a POS compared to the old one IMNSHO.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 28, 2010, 01:05 AM   #11
arcticap

I'm not crazy about the change but at least all of the black powder pistols are listed on one page, that's 71 items including spare cylinders and revolver parts.
Old September 28, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
cowboywitek

just wait awhile and everything will be on sale for a reasonable price. thats how their old site was.
Old September 28, 2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

Looks pretty easy to navigate to me. Now,if you want to see a crappy website for shooting products, check out Natchez or Midsouth. They have lots of random items that can't be found, narrow categories that exclude any sort of comparison between products, and a relative lack of data for the products (reviews,pictures, specifications,etc). If you're lucky, you get the two sentence marketing blurb from the manufacturer.
Old September 28, 2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
Just tried - web pages not available.

New web page is a POS compared to the old one IMNSHO.

FM
Nevermind...........................

I take it back. When I tried it yesterday, it would not get past the home page. I kept getting a webpage not available message every time I clicked on a tab at first & the few times I could get past the home page, it was ssssssssssslllllllllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Now it seems to be working as intended, and is kinda nice.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 28, 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
younggun1

cabelas website

the old website was one of the better ones out there, to get to the sections like hunting clothing do h=you have to go to hunting 1st? hopefully cabela's will get the bugs worked out

Tags
black powder , cabelas , muzzleloader , pietta , revolver