The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2010, 03:17 PM   #1
brotus2

Wolf Primers???

They're cheaper - are they as good? Feedback appreciated for all calibers. Thanks.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Scrapperz

Thumbs Up Here!

I have had no problems with Large Pistol and Small Pistol. I would recommend trying some to see for yourself.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #3
bignz

They aren't the first brand I reach for but I did pick up 1000 LP a few months ago. Each one of them went bang. I wouldn't hesitate in the future. Same story with Magtech.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Some of the benchrest guys seem to like their standard rifle primers for being mild, which many BR shooters feel maximizes accuracy in a case at near 100% powder fill. They are made by KVM in Russia. Russians have always been big target shooting sports fans, so I'd expect them to be well designed from the accuracy standpoint. I've not had occasion to try them myself, so this is all second hand, and YMMV.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 27, 2010, 05:47 PM   #5
vladan

Same here, I have been using their small and large pistol primers as well as small rifle magnum primers for three years now and no single problem
Old March 27, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
johnw63

I've heard lots of good things about the Wolf primers and only a few complaints. You have to make sure that they are seated all the way.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:06 PM   #7
D. Manley

Unless you are running guns with lightened, tuned, triggers they should do fine. They can be a little harder to seat flush but not unduly so. I don't know whether the cup material is a bit stronger or the primer mixture a bit less sensitive but for whatever reason, they do take a little more inertia to ignite...should be a non-issue in stock guns.

I do run tuned triggers in my range guns and had to dump the Wolfs. I've never had a problem with Federal (my favorites) or Winchester but had a significant failure rate with the Wolfs. That said, the same rounds ran fine in my (untuned) carry weapons.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:38 AM   #8
RickV

I have used them for about a year and a half. I use them in LP, SP and LR. The only gun that I have had any problem with occasionally is my M&P 40 and on a restrike they always fire. It goes back to what other posts have said about making sure they are seated well it is operator error.