The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Strikeph

Loads for Lee 44 Wadcutter 429-208-WC

I just got this double cavity mold from Lee, but now I realize I can't find any loads for the wadcutter. The closest is the Lyman 180 WC, but those are 15 grains lighter. Since the WC has a crimping groove almost flush, the bullet seat much deeper than a RN bullet of the same weight so I'm concerned with using the same charges.
Old September 1, 2006, 07:28 AM   #2
cochise

What powder are you using? .44 spcl or magnum? There are "approx" starting recomendations for specific powders at a grn weight.

I would reference the 200 grn lead bullet and go from there. Of course seating of a wadcutter is deeper, ie more pressure, but if you start at the suggested "starting" level and slowly go up, you should be ok. The key is to go up tenth of a grn at a time watching for any signs of pressure then stop, and back off 2 or 3 tenth's of a grn.
Old September 2, 2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Strikeph

I'm loading .44 specials for now, but shooting them in .44 Mag. My initial plan was to use 2400, but I was thinking tonight, that maybe this would be a good place to try out my Trail Boss, since the wadcutter seat is almost 1/4" deeper than a 205gr RN bullet would be. It should deal with the decreased case space better, I'd think, as long as it doesn't cause powder compression, as I've read elsewhere.