The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Elerius

Anyone own a S&W 559?

I'm looking into a S&W Model 559, I would like to have an example of a second generation Smith auto. All the pics I have seen look like the guns are pretty well used and beat up. does anyone own a blued one in good condition they could post a pic of?

Last edited by Elerius; April 9, 2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Roughedge

I have a 659, the SS one if that will help.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Skans

There weren't nearly as many blued ones made as stainless (659); apparently they aren't as collectible as the original single-stack Smith all steel 39's.

I have a nice 659 which I will never part with.
Old April 9, 2014, 11:34 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
There weren't nearly as many blued ones made as stainless (659); apparently they aren't as collectible as the original single-stack Smith all steel 39's.
There also weren't nearly as many steel-frame blued Model 559's made, relative to the alloy-frame blued Model 459. The M559 is the rarest of the standard-production double-stack 2nd-gen S&W pistols, but there doesn't seem to be much collector interest in this series, other than unfired LNIB examples. (I've seen such guns go for ~$700 while a holster-worn example several gun-show tables away is being ignored @ ~$400.)

I'll say this... if the price of the ugly one you're looking at is under $400- and particularly if it's under $300- it'll probably never be worth less than today if you maintain its condition, but buy it as a shooter, NOT as a collector piece. IMHO shooter-grade 2nd- and 3rd-gen Smiths are a great buy in the $250-$400 range, but it's too soon to say if serious collector interest in the lower-condition guns will materialize in the near future.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:54 PM   #5
passtime

One number off topic but I couldn't resist. I had a 659. It was one of the best handguns I have owned. Heavy but sweet. I could shoot head shots on a silhouette at a hundred yards with it. I should never have sold it and I kick myself in the butt every time I am reminded of it. Thanks for the memory...LOL. Actually I am looking for one now to replace it.
Old April 9, 2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Elerius

I'm looking for the 559 in particular, because it was all carbon steel. I have a particular interest in blued guns beyond the Hi Power and 1911's, and there are very few of them. Everything seems to be stainless, or steel slides and aluminum frames. It is my understanding that most of the Model 39's were anodized aluminum and there were only a limited number of all steels produced. I'd take one if I could find one, though it is single stack and a lot of stuff on the list already is. With the carbon steel I can get a high polish royal blue style reblue if I snag a worn one, which would be pretty unique. But if I can find a good picture of one I can see if I think it would be worth it to clean it up.
Old April 10, 2014, 02:55 AM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Google will give you plenty, here's one:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...e-special.html
Scroll down the page a bit.

Now, go figure...
Old April 10, 2014, 08:42 AM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerius
It is my understanding that most of the Model 39's were anodized aluminum and there were only a limited number of all steels produced.
This is correct. The most commonly encountered Model 39 is the M39-2 ("dash two") with the alloy frame. The M39 no-dash has a steel frame; IIRC only slightly more than a thousand of these were produced, all in the mid-1960's using frames made in the late 1950's and held in inventory for some obscure reason. FWIW there is no M39-1; this pistol was rechristened as the Model 52 before release.

There was also a steel-frame blued single-stack 2nd-gen pistol- the Model 539. IIRC these were made for only 2-3 years with a production total around 3,000. They're somewhat easier to find that no-dash M39's. OTOH no standard-production* 3rd-gen blued steel-frame single-stack model was made.

Pardon the slight thread veer.

[*EDIT TO ADD FOOTNOTE: Upon further reflection, I realized that S&W has made at least one blued version of the Model 952, but (a) I'm not certain of the frame material, and (b) all M952's are rarified Performance Center special editions, rather than standard-production guns.]

Last edited by carguychris; April 10, 2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: footnote
Old April 10, 2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Elerius

Hmm, thanks for the tip on the 539. I've never even heard of that model before. That is another good possibility then

Quote:
Google will give you plenty, here's one:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...e-special.html
Scroll down the page a bit.
I do try Google before every thread I start asking questions, I might have come across that one and was thrown off by the revolver in the title. That is a decent pic. They remind me of the Browning BDM in appearance.
Old April 10, 2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Kev

Here's some great pictures, as well as a great price!
Actually..the more I look at it the more I am checking my bank account

http://www.gunsamerica.com/993046333...stol_Blue.htm#

edit.. a few more
Factory engraved
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=406983292

Nickel
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=407969863