The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
LRChops

Did you think out your Rifle Sling?

From the M4 or combat rifle perspective, have you considered all the uses for your sling and the benefits or disadvantages to your sling set up?

I notice many people use the single point bungee slings and for the life of me I cannot understand why? SO maybe those of you who use them can tell me why those single point slings are so popular? Is it hollywood? Is it just cool looking? I can find no practical application for a single point sling.

From all the training and field experience I have, the only sling that should be deployed is a two point sling. I think a two point is obviously the only way to roll. And I always use a Vickers Blue Force! The best combat application sling there is (or others similiar). The two point is a stable shooting platform, you can transition to pistol and secure the rifle to your chest or back, you can immobilize your rifle to go hands free, run, or jump obstacles, walls, barriers,,,,You can bend over and handcuff without a rifle dangling, and you can essentially fully secure your rifle from take away or damage when on the move.

Single point sling, you cant do any of this without a belt mounted strap or velcro closure which would only allow one rifle position.

So why the single points?
Old January 19, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
lmccrock

Single point are good for vehicle ingress/egress (think Humvee). Basically you have one hand on the carbine always.

Most of us do not need that, so a 2-point Viking Tactics sling is king.
Old October 3, 2014, 08:59 AM   #3
WV_gunner

I know this is old but I'd like to weigh in on this.

I think for handgun like rifles and long guns without stocks they serve a purpose. In this application they help steady your aim, you push against it.

I actually just found a very cheap solution for my Draco. I'm bought a leather belt, something for a horse I believe, that's perfect for a $1 used. It's an inch wide and very thick. It's also the perfect length. I already have the hardware, the stud, nut, and swivel. All that's left is to drill a hole in the receiver.
Old October 5, 2014, 08:17 PM   #4
waymore

"I already have the hardware, the stud, nut, and swivel. All that's left is to drill a hole in the receiver."

Would this change the class of the weapon and cause it to require a certain tax stamp?
Old October 6, 2014, 01:34 PM   #5
WV_gunner

I don't know how it could, I'm just putting a sling on it. Using a 16 inch + barrel, stock, or forward grip changes it though.
I'm actually going to take mine deer hunting next year. I just need a low capacity mag. With a single point sling and red dot it should be good for 150 yards.
Old October 9, 2014, 12:28 PM   #6
viciouskitty

Or you could but the AK brace and have a pseudo sbr and much easier to use than using a single point for support.
Old October 10, 2014, 02:20 PM   #7
WV_gunner

Just because there's products out there that get through ATF loop holes doesn't mean they are 100% legal, might be black and white ATF laws but could be a gray area to local cops. My advice is to not play around with ATF loopholes. I have my single point sling and it's perfectly legal, no question of if. The last thing I need is arrested because local cops don't interpret ATF regulations exactly.
Old October 10, 2014, 03:24 PM   #8
skizzums

Actually it is 100% legal. Until it is deemed not legal, which could be any day.

If your worried about cops not interpreting it, then carry around the art approval letter in your bag.
Old October 12, 2014, 10:18 AM   #9
WV_gunner

I'll just stick with my $1 single point sling.