The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1
HitmanNumber86

What can I do with a hunting license, other than buy permits? (IL)

I just picked up a hunting license today. I've been scouring the IDNR website for info for the past week. I saw the cost of upland game was $0, so I decided a license was at least good to have for that. After I got the license I found a page saying I had to enroll in a lottery for upland game in August. I decided to look into a deer permit, and I can't do that anymore either. Checked Turkey and only Spring is available. I checked non-resident costs for WI and IN, they charge rediculous costs for everything.

Why do they even offer a hunting license if it's wothless? Do I just have a new scrap of paper in my wallet equivilent to all my crumpled reciepts? Should I stick to paper targets and supermarkets?

Could someone please justify my purchase. I'm pretty upset about this beurocracy, and IDNR's crappy website. I've never been hunting before, but I've been eager to try it.

PS I used to have no opinion on poaching. Now I completely understand.

--Col. Saul Tigh, Executive Officer, BS Galactica, Colonial Fleet
Old October 16, 2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Snyper

It sounds like a totally screwed up system, designed to get your money without offering much in return

Here, I bought a lifetime hunting and fishing license that covers everything with but ducks with no additional fees

I paid $300 over 30 years ago, and they mail my big game tags and license validation each year

Good luck finding answers to your predicament
Old October 16, 2014, 05:23 AM   #3
Brotherbadger

Apparently the state of Illinois requires applications for Turkey and deer. While I'm not familiar with other states requiring it for deer, Turkey lotteries are used here in WI(we also have them for wolves and bear too). They aren't uncommon, especially out west. It sucks, but that's the way it works right now.

Honestly, hunting Turkey in the spring it's much more exciting than in the fall. I don't even bother with them in the fall.

It appears that Waterfowl(Duck/ geese) do not require any sort of application, and that season is about to start.

Honestly, I realized you're angry(i probably would be too). Just use this as a learning experience and prepare for next year. Personally, I have a yearly alarm on my calender, to remind me of the various application deadlines, so I don't miss them(even ones I don't currently plan on doing). Just a thought.

Quote:
PS I used to have no opinion on poaching. Now I completely understand.
Say something like that at my hunt camp, and you might leave with a fat lip. Definitely wouldn't be invited back again. Poachers are scum who give hunters a bad name. They refuse to follow the rules and think they are above the law. They care little for the environment and endanger the prospect of hunting for future Americans. I don't think you fully understand what you are saying here.

Edit: obviously I am not referring to people who sustenance hunt outside of season, but poachers in the traditional sense.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Last edited by Brotherbadger; October 16, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old October 16, 2014, 08:34 AM   #4
big al hunter

Waterfowl is fun. Give it a try.
Old October 16, 2014, 09:04 AM   #5
buck460XVR

What about squirrel, rabbit and coyote?
Old October 16, 2014, 05:29 PM   #6
taylorce1

Most states require a hunting license to hunt small game, birds, and fur bearers. You usually have to buy a separate tag to hunt big game and turkeys. Unfortunately you missed the boat this year to apply for these tags, I'd contact the local game and fish department and see if there is a possibility of over the counter or left over licenses available.
Old October 16, 2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Blindstitch

It's a learning experience. See what else is available. If you get a small game license it will give you some time to walk around private or public hunting areas and get to know things.

Each state has different rules. I'm from Michigan and everything seemed to be easy to understand. Here in Wisconsin it seems like the DNR doesn't know how to explain anything in typed word form. Although it can be very helpful to talk to them in person.

I can't tell you I know anything about Illinois but I saw lots of turkey around Rockford. But this would explain why I see a lot of pheasant hunters from Illinois.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Cowboy_mo

Fortunately my Dad moved us from Illinois to Missouri in 1968. That means I am not up on current regulations, but when we left a hunting license would allow a person to hunt all small game (rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, etc.)

Depending on where you live you could check out out of state permits for Missouri. I know (much to my displeasure) our Non Resident deer and turkey permits are much less than those charged by other surrounding states.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old October 16, 2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Doyle

The upland game lottery is ONLY for specific public land hunts where hunter numbers are limited. It has nothing to do with hunting on private land. There may be other public hunting land on which there are no lotteries - I don't know for sure but I'm betting there are. For example, national forests are almost always open for hunting without special quota lotteries.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Barnacle Brad

Its a rookie mistake made by not doing any research for your hunt area and blaming the system for your ignorance. Yes, you have access to the same information as anyone else in your state interested in harvesting game. Bottom line is, before you plop down cash, you should know what you are paying for - what areas are open when and what for. I dont have any sympathy for your circumstance at all, whatsoever. If you are interested in harvesting game, it is your responsibility to know what licencses, tags and permits are required to be in your possession before you go afield. Your state may not be interested in your success more than they are interested in selling you a "license".

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 17, 2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: removed snark.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:09 PM   #11
HitmanNumber86

Snyper, I'm moving to NC. [/sarcasm]

Brotherbadger, I do need a permit for waterfowl, but I'm in luck. I just learned today about scalpers at state controlled lands. Appearantly a lot of people in Illinois will buy extra permits for their friends early on, and they're almost guaranteed to be a few at every location. I'll try to plan something out.

big al hunter, Blindstitch, like I said, the upland game is an august lottery. I was mainly hoping for small game. I was so sure I'd scoured every page of the DNR site. Here's hoping I find some private land to hunt on. Next year I'll just walk into the DNR office.

buck460XVR, maybe, maybe, and no interest in hunting vermin. I hate coyotes (they tried to steal my MREs, and eat my girlfriend), but I won't hunt it unless I plan on making use every part I know how.

taylorce, is it common to find left over licenses?

Doyle, I'll see what I can do about that. I found this resource http://www.accessil.org, which may prove useful, but there's nothing close by. Though, you did remind me that we have a family friend (who I hardly know), that had a good bit of land several years ago.

When is the best time to start sorting hunting trips in IL?

Also, Brotherbadger caught what I was thinking. A man's not going to go through all this absurd legal hooplah to feed his family, when he doesn't want to pay for overpriced crap beef at a supermarket. I guess most people assume poaching only involves going out with a 240G and dumping a hundred rounds into a herd of Sumatran tigers, white rihnos, and narwhals, just to watch them fall over.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 17, 2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: removed snark.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
When is the best time to start sorting hunting trips in IL?

February. Always start next year's hunt planning immediately after this year's season ends.

Like you found earlier, some things require lots of lead time.

Did you see this page: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...Northwest.aspx

Looks like LOTS of public land in your area without having to go thru the lottery.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Re: poaching

Just a reminder, folks -- it's seriously against the rules here to advocate/support illegal activities, even if they're done for sustenance or for some other "good reason." (An unemployed person with a family to support might be tempted to rob a liquor store for "sustenance" -- does that make it OK? I think not.)

Also... cut out the snark, please.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old October 17, 2014, 04:00 PM   #14
jmr40

All states handle hunting licenses different. You just need to learn how the system there works. I live in GA and it can get complicated here, but I live here and understand our system. When buying out of state it is good to have a resident help guide you through the hoops. Would have been better if you had done that before buying with no understanding of how the system works.

I'd advise finding a local mentor, or at least go to a reputable sporting goods store and asking for advice.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:00 PM   #15
JWT

Seems like anything that is even remotely related to firearms is convoluted in the state of Illinois.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Strafer Gott

Poaching is a good way to loose your gun your pickup and your rights fast. It's just not the thinking mans' appreciation of nature.

On a lighter note, in this state, a small game license with Habitat management endorsements gets you legal access to BLM lands.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:51 AM   #17
guruatbol

What a benevolent government we have allowing us to hunt. You know poaching the deer is a very bad thing.

I know controls on hunting are mostly for herd preservation and stopping what happened to species like the Bison. But I am just getting tired of so darn many controls and regulations!

To answer the op, your license fees go for the management of the wildlife. I don't always go out hunting but I always have a license.

Mel
Old October 18, 2014, 11:32 PM   #18
HitmanNumber86

JWT, so say we all. It wasn't my choice. I was raised here, and can't seem to get out.

jmr40, I guess I could try to find someone on the forum next year who would be willing to plan a hunting trip. No one around these parts hunts. Most of them don't know you can own guns in Illinois.

Vanya, I have to disagree. Many people are put into precarious situations in there lives where desperate measures are necessary. A little over a year ago, I was looking at being homeless. I was going to use the last of my money to get a Greyhound to California (Better winters than IL). I was learning all I could about trapping, 'cus I'll easily commit a felony to protect me and mine. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong. Luckily it didn't play out like that. Threatening people with prison, torture, and fines has never stopped socioeconomic issues, and it never will.

guruatbol, thing is, they don't let a lot of people hunt, especially in this state. In many countries you can go out and shoot a goat or deer any time of year, so long as it wasn't someone's property, or you aren't being abusive. Herd control is a moot argument, 'cus the deer population in North America has increased several fold since colonialization. I'd rather see my money going towards preserving the many animals that aren't marked "Least Concern" by IUCN. It's like telling people they can't pull potatos because they don't want the population to decline.

Old October 19, 2014, 12:29 AM   #19
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
thing is, they don't let a lot of people hunt, especially in this state.
According to Illinois DNR website over 500,000 deer tags were issued and over 365,000 were modern firearm and muzzle loaders. I guess at least some folks know it is legal to own firearms and how to apply for tags. Whoever "they" are in the quote above, is a mystery.
Old October 19, 2014, 11:32 AM   #20
Blindstitch

HitmanNumber86,

You're just going to have to take your lumps. I started hunting in Wisconsin last year and slowly working through the laws. But years before that I scouted as much public land as I could find and continue to make my rounds finding more areas that I can access that aren't shoulder to shoulder like going to walmart.

I started scouting for spring turkey 2 years ago and haven't found a place i'm confident in but I'll probably apply for spring turkey in december.

But not all is lost since I found a place or two to hunt small game and pheasants. Yesterday was the opener here.

Old October 19, 2014, 12:27 PM   #21
HitmanNumber86

Blindstich, I never expected it to be that difficult in WI. It always seems that when I ask someone, "Where can I go to shoot *****?" I always get a guy who says, "Go to WI."

After experiancing all this beurocratic trash, me and my girlfriend are seriously talking about moving to OK. I can't seem to find reliable work here, and when I do I could lose my trigger finger on any given day (5/8 plate almost took it at my last job). 9 month small game season, nice long deer season across most of the sate, five year licenses, Elk and Bear, machine guns , recession proof, and cost effective living, also the gunsmithing class at MSC I've always wanted to go to.

Old October 19, 2014, 12:28 PM   #22
zach_

+1 on hunting squirrel. Squirrel are big up there. Squirrel legs are great eating. The rest makes good soups and stew. Make sure they are dead before picking them up. Tricky little critters.