The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Moiecol

Casting 45 acp

My question is will I have to use gas check when I cast some 45 acp
Old September 24, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
David Bachelder

Probably not. Keep the velocity below 1200 fps (rule of thumb) and you will not need a gas check.

Side note:
Velocity limits can change with Alloy. Another rule of thumb .... harder bullets can handle more velocity than soft bullets.

The statement above is not always true. In lead bullets "fit is king".
Old September 24, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Geezerbiker

I've shot a lot of cast bullets out of my M911a1 and I've never used a gas check. Some of these I bought but later on I started casting my own and I've shot a lot of those too.

The Lee 230g RN mold for this caliber drops near perfect bullets ever time. It's my favorite of all my Lee molds and it's almost as good as my best Lyman mold...

Tony
Old September 24, 2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Axelwik

No gas check needed for 45 Auto. They're usually only needed for magnums and rifles, and even then not always.

If you get leading it's not because you don't have a gas check.

Size your bullets 1 or 2 thousandths over your gun's groove diameter, use soft lead for low velocities, and a harder alloy for higher velocities.

Good quality lube also helps. The crayon wax that commercial bullet casters use isn't always optimum... too hard for lower velocities like 45 Auto. They use it because it stays put when the bullets are piled into a box and transported in a hot truck.

Last edited by Axelwik; September 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old September 25, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
noylj

Unless you can get the bullet above 1500fps, you won't need a gas check. Even then, I go to a harder alloy until I get up to about 1900fps, where I use a gas check.
For .45 Auto, you 'need' a rather soft bullet (6-12BHN).
Old September 25, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Moiecol

Thanks for the information, that helps a bunch being that I started casting buckshot. I've read the books, but I do believe that you need others hands on experience
Old September 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Mike / Tx

The softest alloy I use runs right in the 8'ish BHN range and the hardest runs around a 15BHN. Either of them and anything in between has shot wonderfully in my Colt 1911, as well as my .357, 41,& 44 mags, and my 45 Colt, within reason of course.

If I throw the soft stuff in the mags with upper end loads I get leading for sure, but not much harder and it goes away pretty quick. I do have some GC molds but for the most part I only shoot plain based bullets.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Ifishsum

The .45ACP should never need a gas check IMO. I cast both the Lee TL230-RN and TL230-FP (tumble lube style). I cast them with clip-on WW alloy mixed 2:1 with a softer alloy like range lead or stick-on WWs. Loading as-cast and tumbled with thinned Alox, they are accurate with no leading in either of my 1911s. The RN design feeds much more reliably in the old Colt GI model.
Old September 27, 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Ifishsum....

Can you tell me the diameter of those bullets?

I am going to start casting for my RIA 1911 and I need to know.

I like a lighter bullet so I'm thinking I will go with 200 grain unless someone out there tells me I should avoid it.

The jury comes in about even on 200 and 230. I like a round nose as well but only for nostalgia reasons.

Most everyone is telling me SWC with some votes for hollow point thrown in.

(It won't be for home defense. I have a cat for that.)
Old September 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Moiecol

My molds are in, Saturday I'll get them ready and start making some bullets 45/230 gr. RN
Old September 28, 2013, 03:18 AM   #11
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Ifishsum....
Can you tell me the diameter of those bullets?

I am going to start casting for my RIA 1911 and I need to know.

I like a lighter bullet so I'm thinking I will go with 200 grain unless someone out there tells me I should avoid it.

The jury comes in about even on 200 and 230. I like a round nose as well but only for nostalgia reasons.

Most everyone is telling me SWC with some votes for hollow point thrown in.

(It won't be for home defense. I have a cat for that.)

I use the 45/45/10 lube on these and do shove them through a Lee .452 sizing die whether they need it or not. They shoot pretty well for general target work. I also pour up a version of the #68 type SWC and size them to .452 as well. They shoot great loaded over a charge of Bullseye or Unique.

As for the HP's I threw you a picture of, well save that until your really into the casting and have things well in hand. The others will get you plenty of cheaper shooting and will knock paper out just as well.
Old September 29, 2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Moiecol

Casting today was too cold, hot, etc. etc. but after a bit it started too work well. I used bee's wax which worked better than paraffin , no flame up
Old October 2, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Moiecol

I have now 130 bullets, I was able to 80 done today under 45 minutes. I still have plenty of lead to melt, so I'll order the lube/size die soon

Old October 3, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
maillemaker

Those look like Lee Round Nose tumble lube bullets, yes?

Steve
Old October 3, 2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Moiecol

They're round nose 230 gr. but have not lubed them yet, I still want to make a whole bunch before I lube
Old October 4, 2013, 07:02 AM   #16
Mike / Tx

Can't make out just how well the TL rings formed. Not a biggie, and just throwing this out there.

If you find the rings aren't filling out well, dump them back in the pot and add in a 6 or so inch of 95/5 solder stir well and try again. You didn't spot your alloy, but if it is wheel weights then it only takes a little bit of solder to get mine pouring out nice and sharp. If they come out looking like they are sand blasted in appearance your running a bit hot.

Mine shoot very well with a dose of Alox or the 45/45/10 verson.
Old October 4, 2013, 08:30 AM   #17
hdbiker

Lee Molds

I use both of Lee's 200 gr. swc and 230 grain rn TL molds. Both drop bullets slightly undersized .451 or .4515 ,but accuracy is very good with a slight edge going to the 200 gr swc.I shoot pure range lead so the bullets drop a little heavy. I keep both bullets around 800 fps and the accuracy is very good. I've put around 8000 rounds of these threw my Springfield Loaded Target and the gun will still print around 2 inches at 50 feet from a rest. I own several other Lee molds and think for the money, their a great buy . hdbiker
Old October 4, 2013, 01:48 PM   #18
maillemaker

Be aware, you may well have problems with the Lee Round Nose Tumble Lube bullets.

The problem is that the ogive nose of the bullet terminates in a step/shoulder where the lube grooves start. This shoulder is about where the brass case mouth ends up when the bullet is seated.

The end results is that you end up with a very significant step, about .027", as a result of the thickness of the brass and the depth of that step/shoulder on the bullet.

When your gun extracts a spent cartridge, the case rim will snag on that step. 3 things will happen, only one of them good:

1) The case will jump the step, and all is well.
2) The case will gouge the case mouth of the top round in the magazine, and jam.
3) The case will jump the step, but expend so much energy it will stall on top of the top round in the magazine, also resulting in a jam.

You can see my write up on this problem here:
http://www.forth-armoury.com/temp/bu...s/problems.htm
http://www.forth-armoury.com/temp/bu...lems/sizes.htm

Lee's recommended "solution" to my problem was to over-crimp the case mouth. However, the .45 ACP is supposed to headspace on the case mouth so if you over-crimp it it may fall too deeply into the barrel. Lee said this was not a problem since many .45s actually headspace on the extractor. This may be, but it is not the way it is supposed to be.

My solution to the problem was to switch to the Lee Truncated Cone tumble lube bullet. The Truncated Cone bullet has the cone of the bullet nose go straight to the outer diameter of the bullet with no step/shoulder, so the only step is the thickness of the brass. I have had no problems with this bullet.

The gun is a Ruger P90.

Steve

Last edited by maillemaker; October 4, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old October 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Moiecol

Thanks all that information it helps a bunch, always learning something new everyday. To keep myself humble I tell myself
( I'm a perfectionist, but I suck at it)
Old October 7, 2013, 09:56 PM   #20
chris in va

I started with the TL and switched to the 'regular' Lee mold. I still tumble lube and get good results.

Caveat, you'll need to play with the seating depth specific for your gun's function. The ogive isn't the same as the original design and the full bullet diameter starts about 1/3 down from the top. Make sure it fully chambers without sticking in the leade.