The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1
hunter64

Lyman 45 Instructions

I was given a Lyman 45 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the die out of the bottom. Does anyone have the instructions for the Lyman 45? I have looked on Lyman's site and they have 450/4500 but not 45.
Old November 21, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Check the link below. The 45 is a 1950's design that was replaced by the 450, then the 4500. The dies are held in by a thumb screw rather than a threaded nut, I believe. If loosening that thumb screw leaves the die stuck in place, it is probably just stuck by old lube that has hardened. Try heating the thing with a hair dryer and see if it lets you push the die out? Otherwise, apply penetrating oil and wait. The die should push up out of its recess. I own an RCBS that is fundamentally similar to the 450. I have put a dowel rod on the bullet ejecting screw used it to push the die up and out when it got stuck. I remove the top punch first, when I do this.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5179
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 21, 2007, 07:20 PM   #3
hunter64

Thanks for the info. I used a heat gun to heat up the old lube and no problems getting the die out.