The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
jaymag

browning A-5 best shotgun ever!

My father picked up a bennelli M1.The gun somtimes has ejecting issues.That gun is $1100 bucks.I still never had one miss fire in 20years plus with the A-5.It has the must perfect forgiving trigger EVER made.Accurate with slugs even down a smooth bore,To fast shooting rapid fire.I have fired the oldest piece of crap shotshell from birdshot to slugs.It alway's went bang.I now own two belgem A-5's.I have fired many guns,but try a browning A-5.It's love at first sight.
Old April 28, 2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

People either love or hate the A-5. For some folks, the squared off receiver seems to hinder looking at the target.

The stocks do not work for me. But, I admire the reliability, durability and record the A-5 has.
Old April 28, 2006, 09:30 AM   #3
bgoldhunter

Jaymag, I've got to agree with you. It is a classic design that just keeps ticking....my only problem is I don't have enough!
Old April 28, 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Huntergirl

Great shotty but not purtty at all.
Old April 28, 2006, 06:06 PM   #5
farmall

Ditto on the A5, but I shoot model 11 Remingtons, myself. Love them, classic looks, deadly reliable. When someone says "automatic shotgun" the Browning design is what comes to my mind.
Old April 28, 2006, 07:08 PM   #6
mta90412

got a mod 11 myself found it in a storage unit I bought out and I trust that thing with my life. There were some pics with it in WWI with three dudes on a boat... I wonder if its authentic and for that matter how much its worth.
Old April 28, 2006, 10:32 PM   #7
farmall

Saw a mod. 11 at Cabelas in Kansas City a few months back. It was marked "Property U.S. Gov't" and parkerized finish. Overall condition about 75%. Price marked $195.00. If the Warden (wife) hadn't been along, it'd be in my safe tonight.
Old April 28, 2006, 11:19 PM   #8
MISFIRE

As best as I can remember, my dad bought his Sweet Sixteen in 1950. He, and after he passed, my brother and I have run a bazillion of everything through it. Never, never, now in 50+ years has that old shooter choked and I don't even know half the time which way the recoil ring thing is turned. I have a beautacious new Beretta Urika trap gun that is a softer shooter and makes me look good on the range. That ugly old Browning hasn't killed many clay birds but many, many Illinois cottontails, ducks, geese (back when lead shot was allowed), crows, doves, and quail. I'm even looking for a full choke barrel for it.
Old April 29, 2006, 05:38 AM   #9
quack fiend

dang farmall, that sounds like a STEAL--wish i lived close
Old April 29, 2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Mannlicher

Huntress says:
Quote:
Great shotty but not purtty at all
come on, the A5 is the best looking shotgun ever designed!!!

I have three, one each in 12 Mag, 16 and 20 gauge.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 29, 2006, 08:42 PM   #11
Captain Bligh

I have an A-5 Light 20. I love this gun. It's my favorite of my three shotguns. I'm tall with a long neck. The square receiver offers me the perfect sight plane.

Browning should be beaten with a stick for discontinuing the A-5 -- although mine is probably worth more now than when I bought it in 1969.
Old May 1, 2006, 05:38 AM   #12
Tommy Vercetti

I had one..one of the guys I was hunting with tripped and fell on it..broke my fore end
Old May 1, 2006, 02:05 PM   #13
bgoldhunter

I agree, no semi auto or pump is as pretty as the A5. Nothing else even compares!
Old May 1, 2006, 02:48 PM   #14
Tommy Vercetti

Elvis liked them
Old May 2, 2006, 12:03 AM   #15
publius

Not pretty? Blasphemy!!! Everything John Browning made was a work of art. Damn shame he isn't still around.
Old May 2, 2006, 04:00 PM   #16
Tommy Vercetti

his Hi Power would have been a striker fired single stack
Old May 12, 2006, 04:24 AM   #17
mpage

Quote:
got a mod 11 myself found it in a storage unit I bought out and I trust that thing with my life. There were some pics with it in WWI with three dudes on a boat... I wonder if its authentic and for that matter how much its worth.
That's interesting--the gun was in the pics? It may have been used along the Yangtze. IIRC there were 11's used over there.

If you can post the serial number's range, the age can be determined; it may even be on the SRS site.

That pic may be decent provenance.