The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Jevyod

Size your boolits?

Ok, Let me begin by admitting my complete and total ignorance! I have never cast before but have done some reloading. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on concerning casting! But now I have questions.
According to the Lee manual, sizing is not really necessary, but pretty much wherever I read, it refers to sizing after casting. I have also talked to several people and got different answers. Some people said to just start with the normal diameter without sizing, and see what it does. Others said to slug the barrel, and size .001 over what the barrel slugged. So what shall I do?! Also, if I don't size, would I just use a tumble lube? I went ahead and ordered a lee mold. It is the 2 cavity 124 grain tumble lube profile. ( for 9mm ) Am I crazy to try casting some without sizing, and simply adding tumble lube, and trying it to see how it shoots? Please feel free to enlighten me!
Old October 3, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
maillemaker

I cast Lee Tumble Lube bullets for my .45, and I shoot them as cast.

What sizing does is allow you to size them for optimal accuracy in any particular gun.

If you are looking to make precision ammunition, then you might consider sizing. If you are just looking for plinking or stockpile ammo, it's not necessary.

If you are casting a bullet that has to go through a luber, you may as well use a lubrisizer that lubricates and sizes the bullet simultaneously.

Tumble lubing is far quicker and easier.

Steve
Old October 3, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I have a Lyman lubrisizer, but I haven't used it in several years (having trouble adjusting it for bevel-based bullets) I tumble-lube my bullets with a 2:1 mixture of Minwax paste wax and White Label XLOX; it's cheaper and less messy than using straight XLOX or Lee Liquid Alox.

I load them without sizing, then for my target ammo I run the finished ammo thru a Lee "Factory Crimp" die in a single-stage press. (adjusted to size only and not crimp) Any cartridge that gets more than "kissed" by the sizing ring goes in the reject pile. The reject pile is still good ammo, just not target ammo (the bullet was too oversized, or loaded crooked, or the brass was too thick for a deep-seated bullet)
Old October 3, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Am I crazy to try casting some without sizing, and simply adding tumble lube, and trying it to see how it shoots?
No, you are not crazy. However, the 9MM being more critical as to bullet diameter and chambering (than a straight-wall .38-.357, etc.), it may behoove you to load (starting loads), only five at first and do the "plunk" test to see how thy chamber. If they chamber o.k., shoot those fire to see how they function the action. If chambering and functioning are o.k., load a batch and see how they run over the long run in your gun. There is no sense in obtain expensive bullet sizing equipment and sizing bullets if you do not want or need to. Before I invested in a Lyman 4500 (too late), and the dies, I would certainly try them as-cast first.

Note: Conventional cast bullet wisdom is that bullets will shoot best from bore-size to .002 over bore size, but that is just a rule of thumb...there are other factors, like alloy hardness can effect rules of thumb.

Last edited by dahermit; October 3, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
armoredman

My Lee molds tend to drop about 5 thou oversize. I size all cast boolits with the old fashioned Lee push through sizer, and great pretty decent results. (mm is a fun one to cast for, been doing it for a few years. Be aware the 124 TL boolit looks odd when seated right, like there's a shelf around the bullet waiting to get caught on something. it doesn't, works just fine.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Interesting stuff. Im new to casting my own bullets. Going to try 200 gr 45 colt and 457 round ball. I was concerned about sizing the 45 bullets. guess I will try just lubing them and see how they work.
Old November 2, 2013, 09:09 PM   #7
myfriendis410

Tumble lubing may be fast but it never worked for me. I also ended up with lube on the bullet nose that tended to attract dirt. As to faster than a luber/sizer you haven't tried a Star yet. I can lube and size 1,000 .45 caliber cast bullets in 30-40 minutes, with high temp stick lube and they are ready to go.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

You don't state what caliber you are talking about? I'm pretty new to reloading but have cast round ball and minies for a long time and am now primarily 38 spl. I'm casting several different profiles - SWC and RN. As was pointed out to me - and as you mentioned Lee's info - you can shoot as cast. However, in my case - I have six different 38 Spl / 357s. It was suggested to me to load up some "as cast" boolits in a dummy load (now primer / powder) and check to make sure they will chamber in the revolvers I'm using. If they do - then fine.

However, I'm also trying to keep things "consistent" - so I decided to size mine .358.

As I said, I'm new to reloading but I think I would load some dummy rounds (you don't need more than a couple) and try them out to make sure they'll chamber O.K. If they do - then load some up and see how your accuracy is. If you don't like it - you can always go back to sizing.

First, I'd check to see what the OD of your boolits is - that may be a big clue as to whether you need to size or not. I'm using Lee molds at the present - the SWC is tumble lube - the RN is lube grooves. I'm still playing with lube. My main experience has been with BP revolvers for many, many years. I'm "old" and "old habits" die hard - for some reason I'm favoring the boolits with lube groves over the tumble lube - but a lot of folks us 'em and it's something that I need to play with further. If the tumble lubed ones get down the barrel OK and I don't have leading issues - then why not?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #9
CS86

I'm no expert on cast but I've read a fair deal of info on casting and have had lots of practice in the last year or two. This is my thoughts for a first timer with lead, and I'll try and stick to the topic of the original post.

Fit is a primary thing you need to be concerned with. It is best before you start anything you slug your barrel and check it with a micrometer. There are some Youtube videos that show how to do this. .001 sized over the slug size is ok, but I'd recommend .002 and if I remember right I don't think it is wise to go over the bore diameter by .004. In essence this means that you don't have to size, but it is good practice to make sure you are within tolerance.

An undersized bullet will lead your barrel up... bad. A bullet too oversized should prevent you from chambering the bullet, but that depends on the barrel.

When you seat the bullet into the flared case it is best to use a separate crimping process after seating and not try and do the 2 steps of seating and crimping at the same time. This prevents shaving lead with the case mouth as it's seating. The little shavings can cause leading problems. I hope that makes sense.

Make a few dummy rounds to ensure that you can chamber the bullet. Also the reason I say to try and size at least .002 over is to ensure that your case isn't swaging the bullet down in size. Take the dummy bullet and remove the slug. Measure it with a micrometer and make sure it isn't swaged down to your bore size or less. If it is undersized you could also be crimping to hard.

As far as lube, go ahead and try the tumble. As long as your fit is good then you can play with lube which can come down to personal preference. Lube that works good for one person may not work good for another. You won't know until you try. Low pressure calibers generally can work well with tumble lube, but high pressure calibers may have a tough time with it.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!
Old November 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Quote:
When you seat the bullet into the flared case it is best to use a separate crimping process after seating and not try and do the 2 steps of seating and crimping at the same time. This prevents shaving lead with the case mouth as it's seating. The little shavings can cause leading problems. I hope that makes sense.
That makes sense for most autopistol cartridges like 9mm, but if the bullet has a crimp groove (like all cast revolver bullets) there is no reason not to seat and crimp at the same time. The case mouth is floating over the groove while being crimped; it's not going to shave any lead.

I seat and crimp my 9mm's at the same time and have never had a problem.
Old November 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Chaz88

Interesting topic. Way back when dad taught me to cast and reload we ran everything through a sizer lubricator and I still do. It was only a couple of years ago that I learned it was an option to just cast and lube. I have not tried it but would like to hear about your results.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
CS86

Quote:
That makes sense for most autopistol cartridges like 9mm, but if the bullet has a crimp groove (like all cast revolver bullets) there is no reason not to seat and crimp at the same time. The case mouth is floating over the groove while being crimped; it's not going to shave any lead.
I was thinking the OP was talking more for autopistols, but I have also noticed that when a bullet design has the crimp groove it isn't necessary to crimp in separate steps. Thanks for bringing that up.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:51 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

I have been casting for 4 years, and have as of yet to size a single one. I use Lee molds, and shoot as cast. I lube with liquid allox in an old butter bowl. I pour them out on a paper plate, then let them dry for a few days. It has worked well for me so I have not changed anything yet.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:30 PM   #14
totalloser

There is a good chance you will need to size. I cast 9mm with a Lee six cavity and they drop too fat. Keep in mind this size does double duty for revolver projectiles and so is inherently a little bigger. I had trouble getting the projectiles into the cases with my powder through expander, and didn't like the idea of trying to flare the cases more to accommodate an out of spec bullet.

*But* some molds drop them just right, some only a tad over.