The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
shurshot

Question on Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 BDC???

I bought a gently used Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 BDC scope last night and it now sits on my Remington 700 BDL .270. A great scope, very clear, etc. So as I bought this used, there was no box or paperwork, and I'm wondering what I'm missing for information? The circles under the crosshairs, what is the yardage for the 1st circle down, 3rd, etc.? Any other specific info Nikon has on this scope would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
PS;
I plan on sighting in spot on at 25 yards, so that I'll be an inch or so high at 100 yards, with 130 grain bullets.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2
globemaster3

First, you bought a good scope!

Second, it's not as simple as asking what dot is good for what range. A lot of variables come into play from what caliber and loading you are shooting to what power you have the scope set to.

If you go out to the Nikon website, look at their Spot On ballistics software that is designed to maximize your BDC reticle. I have the app on my phone and like it a lot.

From there you select the scope you own, the caliber and either comercial loading or hand load data, tell it where you are zeroed, and it will tell you the rest. It even has the ballistics charts you can reference, and the app can use your current atmospherics for drift and to fine tune the BDC.

If you need more help with it, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to go through it a little more.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
FiveInADime

The Spot-On program is great. It's greatest use is seeing what the BDC circles represent at different magnification levels. You can get very close for any cartridge if you use the program to make note of the magnification level where the BDC matches your common shooting distances. None of that makes up for practicing in the field, though. You need to get a good feel for how to aim, with regards to the reticle, at different distances before you can be confident that you can hit your targets.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
shurshot

Thanks for the replys. I will check out the program.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
fatwhiteboy

I just bought one of these and put it on my M700 in .308. I haven't been to the range yet nor have I had a chance to read anything provided. I also have one on my M70 in .270 without BDC that I have had for 5 years. I have it sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 yards for Remington 130gr Corelokts. It is dead on at 200 yds and about 2-3" low at 300yds. It has not lost zero and has taken several hogs.