The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 15, 2008, 10:15 AM   #1
grampi

Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22?

I originally had my heart set on a 10/22, but the more I look, dig, and read, the more I'm swaying towards the Marlin. Both guns are said to be as reliable as a Swiss watch, so that seems to be a wash.

Pros for Marlin:
Less expensive, more accurate out of the box, magazine holds more rounds and is not as clumsy

Pros for Ruger:
Has a much larger custom market available, it's a Ruger

Both are available in stainless steel with a synthetic stock (I think the Marlin's is actually carbon fiber), so that is also a wash.

I'm really having a hard time NOT going for the Marlin. What say you?
Old May 15, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Tom2

I can't say that in my experience that one is more accurate than the other with ammo it likes. What I like about the Ruger is the flush mount box mag. But for alot of purposes the Marlin will suit the bill and if you are gonna keep it as a casual gun for like a truck gun or barn gun etc. I would consider the cost savings of the Marlin. I don't buy the idea that you will never need to clean a rimfire rifle though. I keep mine clean and lubed enough so that I have confidence that it will work 100% when needed. You can run a rimfire rifle for a long time without cleaning and it may never have a problem until some day the crud will build to the point that it misfires or such. No big deal for shooting tin cans but if you need to dispatch a nasty varmint you want it to go off for sure. Both will do that if cared for. If buying used you better strip and clean either one. Tubular mag is a bit slower to load but if you are not shooting high volume it don't matter. Keep it from getting rusty and clean and get whichever fits your purposes. Only thing about a Ruger is all the customization add ons that people think they must have. Not needed for GP shooting.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Stiofan

I've owned both, it really doesn't matter. You will get fans of both posting, these types of threads tend to be a popularity contest, as they try and sway you to buy "their gun", but in my opinion of owning both, you'll be happy with either.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
zoomie

I had a 20" bull barrel 10/22 with a wooden stock. I thought it was too heavy for a 22 (almost 8 pounds even without any optics) and it wasn't that reliable with anything but the best ammo. I sold it. I'm buying a Marlin 60 when the checking account and boss allow it. I might have liked one of the shorter, lighter 10/22 models, but the one I had turned me off to the whole line.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
glockman19

In putting my .22 collection together I decide on the Ruger 10/22 for my semi-auto, Marlin 981t for my bolt-action, Marlin 39a for my lever-action, Ruger Mark III Hunter for Semi-auto pistol and S&W 317 3" for my revolver.
Old May 15, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6
10-96

I have enough trouble getting that 10/22 rotary magazine thing out as it is... with gloves on? Fergitit!

Other than that, get whichever one trips your trigger- you'll likely be happy with either one.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Scorch

I read the other thread you started where you asked about the 10/22, and my recommendation is to buy one of the new Target 10/22s. Factory target barrel, laminated stock, already slicked up a bit. Folks who are big fans of the Marlin model 60 have seldom ahd them all the way apart or fixed them for a living. They are pretty good right out og the box, but as they wear there is no way to tighten them up except replacing parts. Triggers are OK, but just OK. Accuracy is pretty good but not as good as a 10/22. Take my advice and get the 10/22.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
yongxingfreesty

i picked the 10/22 bc easier to find parts for. i bought a VQ auto bolt release, vq extended mag release and trigger kit.

i have a fairly nice 10/22 for plinking now.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
grampi

Scorch

What's the model number on the target 10/22, I'll check it out.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Kawabuggy

I currently own a Model 60 that is over 20 years old, and a Ruger 10/22 Magnum that is a few years old-but like new in that it was only shot 1 time by the original owner from whom I bought it.

I think you won't go wrong with either. In the future, should you decide to sell it the Ruger will always bring more re-sale dollars. Heck, buy the Ruger, then go to a pawnshop and pick up a Marlin for less than $100. That way you can have both! Then invite a friend, or family member, to come and shoot with you. Shooting, like a lot of other activities, gets better when you do it with someone you enjoy being with.

If you do get 2, then you can alternate which one you want to use on those days when no one else is around to enjoy it with you.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:54 PM   #11
grampi

Kawabuggy

I don't really have the budget for two guns right now. Besides, I'd rather get something I'm gonna like right out of the box. I still have to buy a scope, a gun case, a cleaning kit, and various brands/types of rounds, so my intial expense is going to exceed $300. Also, I've got my eye on the 60S-CF (which is the stainless steel model with the carbon fiber looking stock which I probably wouldn't be able to find used). This is afterall, a budget that needs to get through congress without getting vetoed.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:15 PM   #12
RedneckFur

I've owned 2 10/22's and my openion of them isnt very good. Neither of mine were very accurate, the mags hang up and fail to feed after a few uses, and I'd get stovepipes about every 20 rounds or so.

I dont see why anyone would want to spend $200 on a 10/22, and then spend another 300-400 dollars on it to make it a good shooter.
Old May 15, 2008, 07:38 PM   #13
DAnjet500

Look here for the best and most accurate .22lr factory autoloading rifle, IMHO. A little pricey but you don't have to add anything except a scope.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireR55Classic.php

Also in stainless.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireR55AllWeather.php
Old May 16, 2008, 02:39 AM   #14
Sidetracked

I wont bash Marlin. I like their bolt guns and lever actions.

But...

In my opinion, the Model 60 never should have been produced. I have never known a friend or family member to be satisfied, let alone happy, with their Model 60. I shot most of them, and experienced the same irritations.

In the end, everyone upgraded to the 10/22.

If I was in your position, I would spend the small amount of extra cash and buy the better weapon.
Plus, if you decide to customize the weapon later; the 10/22 has a vast array of after market parts. The Model 60 has pretty close to zero.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:56 AM   #15
BoilerUP

I was given a Marlin 60 on my 11th birthday....nearly 14 years later its still going strong, with nary a feed or cycling issue. To me, it is more balanced and points more naturally than a standard 10/22 carbine.

After 5-6 years in storage I couldn't get the Marlin to shoot straight through the iron sights and was too lazy to adjust the front blade, so I put a 3x9x32 Simmons I had laying around on top of it. Problem solved!

While it was in storage my family got into 10/22s...they are nice and I never had any reliability issues with them but I couldn't justify spending another 400 dollars on a nice stock, barrel and scope when I could just as easily buy a .17HMR or Hornet for less money than the mods. I eventually dug the Marlin out and fully intend on passing it down to my children when the time comes...in the meantime it will probably get squirrel and rabbit duty.

I've got a BRAND-NEW 10/22 in box in my basement...anybody interested?
Old May 16, 2008, 07:18 AM   #16
grampi

Sidetracked

Your experiences with the Marlin seem to be more the exception than the rule. Of all the opinions I've read in all of the various forums that compare the 60 to the 10/22, the overwelming concensus is that the 60 is superior to the 10/22 out of the box. It isn't until a person has spent a considerable amount of money on mods for the 10/22 that it becomes the superior weapon.

Last edited by grampi; May 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Juhosaphat

I have my Dad's 60 that he originally purchased back in the 60's. To this day it's running strong. The only problem I've had with it is the disconnector spring somehow broke and I had to bootleg a new one to work because I don't want to buy a new one lol It's been accurate since he got it and still is. The front sight used to get a little loose after a couple hundred rounds, so I lock-tighted it down and it's in place for good.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm almost certain he said it'd cycle 22 short ammo as well, making the 15-17 round tubular magazine hold almost double that. I'll have to get a box and try it one of these days...

My vote would be for the 60 though. That's mainly because with a gun like the 10/22, if you aren't happy with it, most people will just start throwing money at it in parts to make it better and by the time the smoke clears, you can have close to if not more than 1000$ invested into a 'plinking' .22 rifle. Not saying that's the case every time, but it is possible with a rifle with that many aftermarket options.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:20 PM   #18
woad_yurt

Please, get the Marlin....

Get a used one for cheap & you'll be happy as a clam. Go with a Marlin 60. An old Glenfield 60 is even better.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:43 PM   #19
grampi

woad yurt

The problem with finding a used one is I want the stainless/carbon fiber model and I'm not having any luck finding one. I'll just get a new one.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:21 PM   #20
rickseiko

You buy either one you have made a good choice.
I like the model 60 better because it is tube fed. Don't have to buy or load magazines.
Stock Marlins, in my experience out shoot stock Rugers. You can upgrade the Ruger to your hearts content, if you are the type that likes to do that. I wouldn't buy a Ruger and upgrade it. Me I would just save up the money I could spend doing that and buy a more accurate rifle.
Also if you buy the Ruger and get some hi-cap magazines for it get ones that have steel feed lips. The plastic ones haven't done well for my friends that bought them.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:04 AM   #21
CajunBass

I don't care for the look of the Marlin 60 so I've never even bothered to really look at one with a thought to buying it, but the vast majority of people who do have them seem to like them. I've got a Marlin 39A and it's a great rifle, but that's a different kettle of fish.

I do like the Ruger 10/22. Enough so that I've got three of them, and if I find another one I like, I'll probably buy it too. I don't care for the regular carbine, but prefer the upgraded DSP/Wally World models. I haven't and don't plan to spend a dime to upgrade them other than to add scopes and slings. I'm quite happy with the way they shoot/kill squirrels out of the box.

In the same price range, the Remington 597 seems pretty decent.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 17, 2008, 12:34 PM   #22
ocharry

yep i got me a 10/22 carbine,,,bone stock it is minute of squirrel head a 50yrds,,and just loves them bulk Remington golden bullets from wal-mart,,,it's born on date is in the mid 1990

i like the marlins too,,but i got a real deal on thisun and well that's why i got it,,,, but it has been a dandy

Last edited by ocharry; May 17, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:54 PM   #23
22-rimfire

I much prefer the Marlin for shooting out of the box. I also prefer the tubular magazine models unless you are hung up on aesthics. They are easier to reload from my perspective. I love my Weatherby 22 with the tubular magazine. I am not really a big Ruger pusher unless you just plan on customizing it. I have the 10/22 Deluxe. It carries a 4x scope and I use it mostly for plinking. I need to shoot that rifle again; I'ver just been shooting the better stuff (read more expensive) these days.

Another one to consider is the Thompson Center R-55 which are a full sized rifle and very accurate out of the box. I believe they run just a tad over your budget. The Remington 597 are now generally very good too. Unless I bought the TC (and I own one), I would probably go for a Remington these days.

I have three new 22 rifles waiting for scopes (CZ 452 Varmint, Weatherby Mark XXII [bolt], and Remington 547). It is sad, but I've had these for a good month now and have not shot any of them. Been working out of town mostly and saving my pennies for good scopes.
Old May 17, 2008, 03:42 PM   #24
ProficientRifleman

money an issue?

If money is an issue, I would go with the Marlin Mod. 60 or Mod. 795.

If you want to fancy it up a bit after a while, the 10-22 would be a better bet. The after market supplies of dress up items are endless.

But, for a working gun? A kick around gun? A truck gun? I would go with the marlin. It'll last a lifetime and its less expensive.

PR
Old May 17, 2008, 09:26 PM   #25
grampi

I found a local sporting goods place that can get the Marlin (he doesn't have it in stock, he'd have to order it) for just $227. That's cheaper than I can get it on the internet when figure in the shipping cost. I'll probably have him order it Monday as they're not open tomorrow.