The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 15, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
CraigCollier

Any thoughts on Traditions Persuit XLT rifles?

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Traditions Persuit XLT rifles from the Traditions website through their "preseason inline blow out". The black stock and nickel barrel for only $189 vs $300+ is a deal I don't think I can pass up. I've read reviews on Traditions muzzleloaders through Cabela's website as well as Red Head and Gander MT. They seem to get pretty good reviews.

Just thought I would share what I'm looking at and get some more responses.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...Code=R78103450

Or I may pay the $60 more and get the camo version, haven't decided yet.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
arcticap

That's a fine looking rifle for the price and I like the nickeled barrel.
It's hard to imagine finding a better rifle for the money.
Most folks generally like their Pursuits and compliment their accuracy.
There's so many different Pursuit models that's it's hard to tell them apart especially when people post about theirs and it might not even be the same generation that you're looking at.
For instance, I've heard it mentioned that some triggers are heavy but that may have been a long time ago when that was more common and before they improved it.
One person may have said that the rifle is too light while others absolutely rave about how ergonomic the stock fit was from the very first time that they picked it up off of the rack.
One fellow mentions that his was accurate but that his firing pin somehow became blunted. But even though the rifle is still shooting he concluded that if a person is going to shoot many hundreds of rounds each year then they're better off spending more money on another brand.
Most folks simply don't shoot hundreds of rounds per year because that's just too expensive and people have other shooting hobbies.
Plus some folks were paying full retail prices and in comparison, the higher end TC's & Knights weren't that much more expensive.
So most owners are more than happy with both the old & new Pursuit models. I'm pretty sure that the owners of the newer versions are even happier because the later models were better made and have gained widespread recognition for it.
When I read someone post about how their Pursuit placed 2 shots on a target 200 yards away, then that proves to me that Traditions makes some fine rifles.
I personally think that there's more to a hunting rifle than simply how accurate it is. If that weren't the case then everyone would be paying 2 or 3 times as much and shooting the same few models.
It's just as much about how accurate a person can hold & shoot it, how comfortable it is to shoulder and carry while hunting and how reliable it is among all of its other features.
I can remember when the original Pursuits first came out and despite their heavy triggers, they had a reputation for being just as accurate if not more so than some other rifles that were twice their price.
And it's really hard to dispute Traditions successful past making good economical rifles.
Did you take a look at the Traditions trophy page?

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/trophy.asp

Last edited by arcticap; October 15, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
CraigCollier

Thank you very much, you've made a researched purchase that much better.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
arcticap

I have a nickeled Traditions Deer hunter and the electro-nickel is very slick, durable and corrosion resistant.
The nickel coats both the inside and outside of the barrel [and steel lockplate] and that's why I like it.
It may be worthwhile to call Traditions and ask if that Pursuit XLT barrel is also electro-nickeled both inside and out.
I think that it's a plus if it is and if it's not then at least you'll be informed.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:56 PM   #5
FrontierGander

personally i'd go with a cva accura. The quality and especially the customer service is 200x better than traditions.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:10 PM   #6
CraigCollier

Upon doing a quick search those look to be out of my price range. I want to stay under the $250 mark, and getting a $350 rifle for $189 is quite nice
Old October 15, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
arcticap

There's 1 Accura on Gunbroker selling for $355 with a $375 buy it now, plus actual shipping.
Does the Accura shoot twice as good as the Traditions at 1/2 the price?
Old October 15, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
FrontierGander

.853" outside to outside is my best so far with the accura!!

Plus the grit free/slop free 2lb trigger is also nice!
Old October 15, 2009, 07:59 PM   #9
CraigCollier

As long as I can smoke a deer from 0-150 yards maybe 200 at the max, its good enough for me I'm not into alot of target shooting, so I don't need a rifle that can put 5 shots in a quarter at 100 yards.