The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 6, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
chipchip

Ruger Hawkeye Standard Rifle

Does anyone own a new Ruger Hawkeye with the wood stock (standard model). I'm a traditionalist and prefer wood over synthetic and like blued guns. Was wondering if they shoot MOA. I'm think getting one. Owned a Ruger M77 back in the 70s and loved it.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
FiveInADime

I can't tell you how they shoot first hand, but most reports are of MOA or better in standard calibers. I was shopping them a while back looking for one in 6.5 Creedmor. I wasn't super-impressed with the fit and finish. I determined I would either piece together a rifle on a budget action or pay a little more and get a Winchester.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
chipchip

I'm also looking at the creedmoor. I'm getting Ruger's target rifle in the 6.5 Creedmoor in the spring. Had one in 223 and it would shoot 1/2'' all day long.
Was curious about their standard rifle. Was looking at Winchester as well but didn't see the Creedmoor in any of their guns
Old December 6, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Huffmanite

Bought a Hawkeye standard in 257Roberts well over a year ago. Maybe a 4 shot 1" group at 100 yds about best I've done with it with various reloads I've tried. Generally, I expect it to shoot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". Its a very nice rifle and certainly wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
gmarr

Have mine for about two years in .308 caliber with an old Redfield 2x7 Tracker scope. My 'go to' rifle. Handles great, shoots better than me, and I got it because of the wood/metal. I guess I'm just old school.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:29 AM   #6
jmr40

I've owned several of the SS/Synthetic Hawkeyes. Most will shoot right at 1" or maybe a bit better. If you want a cheaper gun to throw on a 4-wheeler or for tough duty one of the Ruger All Weather rifles is hard to beat.

If you want a quality wood/blue gun the Ruger ain't bad. But for very little more money the Winchester is definately a step up. I think you'll probably get perfectly acceptable accuracy with a Ruger, but you are more likely to get bragging size groups with the Winchester.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
warbirdlover

My brothers Hawkey will routinely shoot under 1" groups at 100 yards. My Mk II .300 Win will shot cloverleaf or better groups with cheapo factory ammo. Sometimes 1 hole groups if I'm doing my job and the conditions are right. Rugers are as good as anything out there. I've owned most of the others.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:45 AM   #8
bshefa

I bought a used Hawkeye 25-06 All Weather a while ago. It is a 1 inch or better gun with the right ammo. Took a few boxes to figure out what it liked.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:48 PM   #9
NHSHOOTER

My brother owns 3 ruger 77's, 22 hornet, 25-06 and a 243, the hornet shoots ok groups but the other 2 are deadly, I have seen him kill ground squirrels out to 300 yds with the 243 and If I would have been doing my job I would have killed a coyote at 450 yds, I just didnt aim high enough, hit right under his belly. I have just bought a new 77 in 7mm-08 getting 3/4 in groups out of one batch of handloads and am going to try some others just for the hell of it. I really like the rifle with the wood stock but I am thinking about putting a Boyds laminate thumbhole on it, anyone out there ever try a Boyds?