The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2002, 06:57 AM   #1
Captain Bligh

Comfortatable J-frame Grips

Can anyone suggest a compromise for me from the original equipment Uncle Mike's that came with my S & W Model 60 (.357)? At the range yesterday, I decided to part with the grip.

I shoot it well enough. And, I like the three finger hold it offers. But, the darned thing just never feels comfortable. Sometimes when I pick it up, I feel like I need to adjust my hand position so it gets to a place that I feel more comfortable. This gun is my light clothes/hot weather carry gun. Yesterday, I had the realization that I don't want to feel awkward when I pull a carry gun.

What I like about the Uncle Mike's grip is the three finger purchase. What I don't like is the curvature of the grip coupled with it's narrow girth.

I don't need anything fancy or pretty. I'm merely looking for functionality plus concealabilty is a factor. Anything out there that would still give me three fingers and greater comfort? Does anyone have experience with Pachmayr Compac?
Old January 3, 2002, 07:01 PM   #2
James W

Precision Gun Specialities

I have had good luck with the Hideout Grips from Precision Gun Specialties.

These are available from Brownells. Since I carry my 642 in my pocket quite frequently, I opted for the smooth variant.

James W
Old January 3, 2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Captain Bligh

James, is there a link to the Hideout? If you use it for pocket carry, it sounds smaller than what I think I want. It is a two-finger grip like a boot grip? I'm looking for something I can still get three fingers on.

Randy
Old January 7, 2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

You might have a look at...

..the Hogue "Bantam" series. Slightly larger and more comfortable than the Uncle Mike's. I asked the same question in another post and Tamara said that the Bantams were the same thing that comes on the Taurus 85's. I found them to be quite comfortable on my wife's 85.
However, I haven't bought any yet for my Smith 331. I think the Bantams might be those "snap-on" grips too. No screw to fool with. However, I'm not completely sure about that, so you'd better call your gun shop.

KR
Old January 7, 2002, 11:37 PM   #5
Captain Bligh

I'll have to go to Hogue's website and take a look. I thought the Bantam was the grip that left the backstrap and bottom of the grip frame exposed. If I am correct about that, it would move the handhold closer to the trigger. That's fine for someone with short fingers, but I'm afraid mine are long and I wouldn't like the close position.

Randy
Old January 8, 2002, 05:47 AM   #6
Scarecrow

I have had the Compac's on my 3" Mod.36 for about 15 years now and really like them. I've tried several other types of grips, even Tyler T grips and still went back to the Pachmyer's. They just feel right to me and seem to index the gun in my hand perfectly when I pick it up.Very controllable in fast double action shooting too. Regards, Mikey
Old January 8, 2002, 02:34 PM   #7
don't shoot it's me

I have the smooth hideout grips on my 442...nice compromise between checkered wood (which irritates my ankle) and rubber (which sticks to my clothes)...a deal at 15 bucks..
www.brownells.com

pic of it on my gun here
http://photos.yahoo.com/p7newbie
Old January 9, 2002, 09:53 AM   #8
E. BeauBeaux

http://www.nill-griffe.com/
Old January 10, 2002, 06:52 AM   #9
Captain Bligh

BeauBeaux, I like the looks of those nill-griffe's. I may have to check them out further.

Randy
Old January 12, 2002, 08:04 PM   #10
JB in SC

These are the regular Hogue's (not the bantams) on my round butt 36-6, very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s&w 36-6.jpg (60.7 KB, 139 views)
Old January 15, 2002, 09:14 PM   #11
Wayne D

I like the hideout grips too. They are just fat enough that my finger doesn't go too far through the trigger guard.

"vegetarian" - old Indian word for lousy shot
Old September 5, 2002, 02:20 AM   #12
Paul Fitz Jones

Model 60 grip to love

I have carried a Fitz GF (Gunfighter) Grip on my off duty weapons since 1964 and the same cherry wood grip on my model 60 in my retirement. It was designed as an officers off duty grip that does not hang up in clothes like rubber and I carry it in an inside belt holster for a fast draw. I taught officers to shoot right and left handed around barricades with it and two handed at the 7 yard targets in the dark where they did extremely well.

Take a look at the bottom center of the pic at the flyer and try one guaranteed that you will love it.

[email protected]
Police Firearms Instructor
Old September 6, 2002, 08:16 PM   #13
don't shoot it's me

what pic?
Old September 6, 2002, 09:08 PM   #14
Walosi

Randy -
These might be worth a look:

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/

Type "J Frame" in his search feature, and scroll down to Picture ID 160. These are aged ivory Micarta, and give you a full grip on a J. The fingergrooves also fit like the Uncle Mikes', but just a bit better, as this is almost a "round to square" conversion grip - almost as much control over a J as you would have over a K Frame, and nearly the same trigger reach, as they cover the backstrap. They are slim gips, and conceal very nicely in both hip and belly holsters. I've put nearly 200 rds. of 110 gr. White Box mags. through a new 649 with these on, and while they still spank with this load, the Uncle Mikes wore me down after 30 rds., or so. A bit pricey, but you more than get it back, IMO.