The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Gun Guy Greg

Glock CCW Saftey Question.

The Glock 19 is one of the guns I've been considering for a CCW, But I'm a little bit concerned about some of the safety issues with this gun. My main concern is with something getting caught in the trigger guard like a shirt tail, jacket zipper or part of the holster and pulling on the trigger while re-holstering for example.

Now obviously your first safety is between your ears, and I know where my fingers are, but I'm a little bit worried about discharges that could happen while my finger is not on the trigger of the gun I'm carrying.

Does the little trigger thingy do anything to help prevent that kind of thing? or is there a part of the safety system I'm not taking into account?
Old February 4, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
9mm

Use proper holster and you won't have problem, this is a concern with a lot of people on guns like this. I worned my Glock in a Galco King Tuk for over a year now, its a good holster, can be tucked. I tried a Blackhawk cheap nylon holster/foam, the siding can be opened with a push of the nylon, shirt can get bunched in there/etc... Get a leather one.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Re-holstering can be a dangerous evolution if you're not paying enough attention, and it's good that you're thinking about it. There was a news story a few years back about a police officer who did just what you described - tried to re-holster his Glock without looking, and got the drawstring from his windbreaker caught up in the trigger guard, causing a discharge that went into his leg.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
patinmo

Good holster = nothing to worry about.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Good holster = nothing to worry about.
Not always. A good holster is a necessity, yes, but shirt tails can still get in a holster when you aren't looking.

Quote:
Now obviously your main safety is between your ears, and I know where my fingers are, but I'm a little bit worried about discharges that could happen while my finger is not on the trigger of the gun I'm carrying.
Fixed that for you.

Now, that safety between your ears does not just control your trigger finger. Use it to visually check your holster before you reholster. There are *very* few instances in which you will not be able to look at your holster as you are reholstering your pistol.

Quote:
Does the little trigger thingy do anything to help prevent that kind of thing? or is there a part of the safety system I'm not taking into account?
No, and no. The only safety that can prevent this from happening is your brain and not getting caught in la-la land.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
redhologram

Have something very similar to the Galco King Tuk, just different backing and it's great for the 19. I'm always extra cognizant when holstering any weapon regardless of safety features they may or may not have.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
TailGator

I have been carrying a G26 for several years. No problem. The admonitions above to use a good holster and to exercise thoughtful care when holstering will keep you safe.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:17 PM   #8
bigghoss

Never had an ND with either of my glocks while holstering or otherwise.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Nothing to worry about man. Good holster and better training.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:56 AM   #10
bakon

20 years of Glock. take it out of holster at end of every shift. no problems. off duty or at range, extra care to see what I am doing. And I would never reholster in a cloth IWB holster, and rarely in a sturdy IWB. I remove holster, place gun in, then put it back on body. OWB just use comon sense, no clothing should be near when drawing or reholster, use free hand to pull shirt or jacket up and away.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Double Impact

I think if you are to worried about the safety of carrying a glock.
Two things get a different gun and or increase your training to build safety and confidence. Good luck!
Old February 5, 2013, 01:42 PM   #12
gundog5

Others may disagree but if you are concerned with acidential discharge keep the chamber unloaded. As a 28 year leo and someone who has carried concelled for over 20 years the act of reaching for your gun will stop 99% of aggressors in their tracks. If you are going into an area that you have identified as having possible threats, jack one into the chamber prior to entering the area. Just my .02
Old February 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Texshooter

Glocks, while fine weapons, are, to me, more holster "sensitive" than any other pistol.

I was at an ACC tourney game years ago in Greensboro NC. An off duty LEO was in the stands and was adjusting his seat and his glock discharged. Best I could find was it was in a leather holster.

Reholstering requires more attention as well.

If you want an extra measure of "safety", perhaps check out an XD model which has a grip safety as well.

I have Glock & XD and they are both very nice pistols.

Go with what you feel best about, not with what any of us say here.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #14
TailGator

Quote:
I was at an ACC tourney game years ago in Greensboro NC. An off duty LEO was in the stands and was adjusting his seat and his glock discharged. Best I could find was it was in a leather holster.
I have to wonder if there wasn't something more to the story than adjusting his seat - perhaps something that the gentleman was embarrassed to admit.
Old February 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #15
mesamay2003

I have quite a few handguns, but carry a Glock 30 quite a bit, I had mine fitted with a Cominolli thumb safety...just my preference when it comes to Glocks and reholstering. I do sometimes carry some of my semi-autos that have no safety, but those have long revolver type triggers...lcp, pf9 etc. My XD's have the grip safety, and my M&P's have no grip safety, but do have a thumb safety. It's all about what you train and feel comfortable with...
Old February 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Get a SIG Sauer.

P229, P220, P226 if you're worried about anything. I never was. But everyone is different.

Do what makes you comfortable.
Old February 5, 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Do what makes you comfortable.
Good advice. We're not you. What works for us might not work for you. You might also find that over time, at least it was true for me, that your attitudes about what systems are safe or not will change over time.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 5, 2013, 05:04 PM   #18
testuser

What about an NY1 trigger spring?

You could always install a heavy trigger spring, it's very easy to do.

I actually prefer the 8 lbs NY1, but, then again, I also love double action revolvers. There's also the NY2 trigger, but that's a little heavy even for my tastes, about 12 lbs.

If you don't like the heavier trigger spring, no problem, the part is cheap and it's easy to swap in the factory part.