The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 24, 1999, 01:09 PM   #1
HappyGunOwnr

Is it true that using non-coated cleaning rods can ruin a rifle's bore? If so, which cleaning rod should I get?

------------------
Joe

http://hometown.aol.com/heartboy22/myhomepage/politics.html

http://hometown.aol.com/heartboy22/myhomepage/howto.html
Old October 24, 1999, 01:27 PM   #2
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

I recommend the Parker Hale coated rod. when it gets dirty rub it down with a rag with aceatone on it and its as clean as new
Old October 24, 1999, 02:19 PM   #3
Jason Demond

All mine are Dewey coated rods

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/G...Gunrights.html

Old October 24, 1999, 05:06 PM   #4
Jim V

It really does not matter what the rod is made of or if it is coated or not, IF you use a bore guide. Keep the rod itself clean and do not let grit become imbedded in it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old October 25, 1999, 12:54 AM   #5
Nakano

Righty-O Jim V. But still, one can slip sometimes. So I prefer to use an aluminum rod a majority of the time. It' s still softer than a steel (uncoated) rod at least. An alternative to the pricier Dewey and Parkers are the rubber coated Kleen Bore in one piece or sectioned. It is one of the few that will fit .22 cal and up.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

[This message has been edited by Nakano (edited October 25, 1999).]
Old October 25, 1999, 08:20 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I use a Dewey rod for my .308 bolt gun and a one piece brass Outers rod for my AR. All my other rods are 3 piece brass. While one piece rods are preferable, (since there's not joints to catch dirt), the important thing about any rod is to use a bore guide and to wipe the rod down after you push it through a bore.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old October 25, 1999, 07:12 PM   #7
HankL

Joe, Let's clear up one thing. If a bit of silica "sand grit" whatever becomes embedded in your rod it can put a scratch here and there. Wipe down your rod on every stroke.
If you try to use a .17 cal rod to do all of your swabbing you will get flex in the larger bores and this can cause damage as it will soon cause a coated rod to become uncoated!
Make sure that you keep them clean and use the proper one for the job. "This is starting to sound a bit kinky and I didn't intend for it to." A good cleaning rod is a very small investment as compared to your firearm.
Whatever you decide on, never go through the bore more than a few times without wiping off your suitable sized rod. Bore guides are also recomended unless you are shooting a rifle that has no easy access to the breach. I would strongly suggest a muzzle guide when cleaning a M14 M1A type.
I know that Gale and others have swabbed many more miles of bore than I have but I get pretty good service out of my barrels too!
Best of luck and keep um clean! Hank
Old October 26, 1999, 07:09 PM   #8
slickpuppy

Hank,
I can see your reasoning but have to disagree at least when it comes to pistols. I use a Dewey coated .22 pistol rod on all of my pistols and have no problem with flex. Flex would be indicated if the rod had scratches or gouges in the coating. I never have that problem. Then again, I do go slow when putting the rod to the barrel. YMMV
Old October 26, 1999, 11:34 PM   #9
sbs

I used a cheap Hoppe steel 3 piece rod in my Steyr. Don't faint However, before I used it I sleeve coated it with a 1/4" heat shrinked (sp?) plastic tubing cut to lenght I bought from electrical supply store. This heat shrink is not only tough but also grit and chemical resistance. If it getting dirty, I peel it with a stanley knife and apply a new shiny sleeve. Voila! a brand spanking now coated rod! SBS
Old October 27, 1999, 12:40 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

sbs: U b clever, and cheap...are we related?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old October 27, 1999, 01:54 AM   #11
oberkommando

Thats what I have heard also HankL if you use alum. it is so soft, harder debri can embed itself in the rod and it will act as a lapping rod, as to pistols usually the rods are a lot bigger in diameter than rifle, have more room around rod to bore, and patches are usually not as tight as say a 223 patch.

I use coated dewey and wipe with every stroke.

For the uniformed this thread sounds disgusting.

[This message has been edited by oberkommando (edited October 27, 1999).]
Old October 27, 1999, 04:36 AM   #12
sbs

4V50 Gary, may be we are related. Do you own Microsoft?

Oh, I forget to add. These heat shrink tubes come in many colors. I use light colour shrink tube (imperial yellow, Mary Kay red, earthly green etc. ) so it is easy to see when getting too dirty or gritty. Also, to color coded the caliber. use your imagination.
BTW, always get asked at the range where I get them and I'd say from an Avon girl. sbs
Old October 27, 1999, 06:32 PM   #13
HankL

sbs, this is a good idea except that if you have to pay for the heat shrink tubing you could have bought yourself a one piece Dewey rod pretty soon.

Keep em clean,

Hank
Old October 28, 1999, 04:43 AM   #14
sbs

Yes, I supposed so.
At about 35 cent for a meter (39.3"), I would have about 50 lengths of home coated rod for about the price of a $20 manufacturer coated rod. sbs