The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2001, 01:12 PM   #1
hillbillychuck

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on scope/mount combos for my Redhawk. It has a 7 1/2" barrel and is a .44 magnum, I will be using it for deer/hog hunting probably no further than 75-100 yards in the mountains and peidmont of North Carolina.

It has a set of factory 1" rings that mount directly to the barrel. Are these good to use or is a B-square reciever mount(or equivelant) better for eye relief etc.?

I have been thinking about putting a Burris 2x scope on there, or maybe a red dot sight, which would be better for hunting? Does the Burris have any mounting problems with the factory rings ie. incorrect eye relief, or physical mounting problems? If y'all think a red dot is the way to go, which ones work the best for handguns, mount the easiest on the ruger rings etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Chuck
Old May 25, 2001, 09:07 PM   #2
kidcoltoutlaw

i dont no about the scope on the barrel it might be ok but i do no of at least one guy that had it fall of the gun that is the barrel.the whole thing scope barrel went down range.that is about the only problem i ever heard of with a redhawk.i love them i have 3 and a super redhawk.i got a b square for mine i looked at it and said this will never work but it worked and worked great to .i put the screws in with clear finger nail polish.and i cut a section out of a rubber glove for each scope ring.i use a very thing glove it goes around the scope like a rubber band would under the scope rings.it keeps the scope from moving and helps it take the recoil.i read about it in a gun mag the very high power the 50 cal shooters do it all the time.i put a 2x lep.on mine .the red dots are fast like the cmore or the holo site but are not good for accuracy work like shooting groups.dont no if im any help but if you think i can help just let me no ,thanks,keith