The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 2000, 10:44 PM   #1
Cmc

Hello

I have a 22 L.R. Tube fed winchester model 77 rifle.

This rifle was not funtioning properly , failure to extract a round and it was extremely dirty.

I have the book on firearms dissasembly from Mr.J.B.Wood,and I followed the disasssembly procedure succesfuly.
I started assembling the action and was able to put all the components in the receiver but was not able to insert the
barrel retaining pin because the timing rod would not allow the barrel to move about 1/8" inside the receiver to insert the pin.
I inserted only the bolt with the timing rod into the receiver and the inserted the barrrel and there was no problem.

My questions is , do you Know of any reassembly tips that would help me complete the assembly?.
Also If you have any dissasembly procedure other than the one in Mr. Wood's book I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind to share a copy.
Thanks
Carlos

Old December 28, 2000, 08:07 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Carlos, it sounds to me like the timing rod is catching on the rear of the bolt. This may be something you will just have to play with a little until the bolt will retract completely. Place the barrel in a padded vice and hold the bolt to the rear while you put the action back on the barrel. George
Old January 4, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Cmc

Thanks George
I did get it back together tuesday.
I fired It yesterday and there was a failure to extract
every three or four rounds, The case stayed inside the action sideways and sometimes it would not extract the fired case at all.
I suspect the extractor does not have enough tension or it has a tired spring.
also It may have a broken ejector.
Can you help? I am planning on taking the bolt out and checking the extractor spring but is there a way to test the tension on the extractor before I take it apart and measuring the ejector without disassembly.
Thanks

[Edited by Cmc on 01-04-2001 at 01:50 PM]
Old August 11, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Jacques

hi
I have a 77 tubular fed too.

I'm looking for information to disassemble it.
someone could give me somme documentation?
Old August 11, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Visit our fellow shooters at http://rimfirecentral.com. There is a Winchester forum there.