The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Greguw

Best way to site in new slug guns

Hey guys , I just picked up a new 12 and 20 gauge slug gun this year . This is the first year I am hunting deer with a slug , I am not going to be going after any deer more than 100 yards .
One gun is a 12ga savage 210 and will be using Hornady sst .
Other gun is a Hastings 20ga rechamber for the 3.5 hastings .
Whats the best way to site in these guns ... I was looking at the new laser accue site ...the one that load like a round ...at least to get me in the ball park and fine tune from there .
Anyone have any luck with these .
Thanks guys .

greg
Old October 20, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Don't waste your money on a bore-sight. Do it like this....

I believe the 210 is a bolt-action so it's very easy. Take out the bolt, put the gun somewhere that it will stay still and you can look through the barrel at a fairly distant object. Do your best to look "centered" down the barrel then simply make the crosshairs be on what you see at the center of the barrel. If you do this well you should be within a couple inches at 50 yards.

The Hastings is a breech loader I think? Do that one the same way. You'll just need a spot where you can settle the gun in that funny position with the breech open.

Might I also humbly recommend the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra 12ga slug. Their ballistcs are excellent and they are VERY accurate, at least in the 2 guns I've shot them in.
Old October 20, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Greguw

Thanks for that run thru on the siting and the tip on the slugs , I will give them a try .

greg
Old October 21, 2008, 01:17 AM   #4
T.A.Sharps

You want it bore sighted, it really takes nothing for someone to do it for you, they do it for free at a lot of shops like Scheels. You dont want the bore of it "pointed" at the paper, you want the cross hairs of the scope aligned with the bore on the target.

You can experiment around with it, but sabot slugs are pretty pricey, at $2-$4 a shot, I'm not playing around at the range.

Just go to a shop and ask them if they will bore sight it for you.

Also...

You will want to try more than one brand/type of sabot slug. You need to find the one your sabot gun will shoot the best, it can be very accurate if everything is right, but accuracy can vary a lot between different brands or even lots of ammo depending on the quality.

Hornady SST is a good one to start with.

Hastings has a very good reputation for accuracy in sabot slug guns. Their whole business is based on it, and as they have also developed that new 20ga 3.5" barrel H&R puts on their 20ga Ultra.

So far my 870 gets 8"-12" at 200yrds. I know some have got .5" at 100 yards.
Old October 21, 2008, 01:32 AM   #5
T.A.Sharps

Also, you might be interested it this group.
http://www.slugshooting.com/id44.html
Old October 21, 2008, 04:39 AM   #6
ropadop

I have heard many people recommend using an o-ring to free float the fore-end of the NEF rifles and slug guns. Not sure what size is appropriate. Also, many recommend to grip your slug gun fore-end and pull your buttstock into your shoulder as if you were actually shooting it from a hunting position. This ensures that the recoil characteristics are the same while sighting in as in the field so that you don't get differences in point of impact.