The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
tdmoparguy

Selling BP Revolvers

I'm about to sell all my BP stuff. Whats more desirable? Should I clean them up to look new or do yall prefer them with a patina?
Old March 22, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
breed

put up some pics just like you have them.
Old March 22, 2010, 03:06 PM   #3
ebr-lvr

Definitely.....What Breed said +1

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"
Old March 22, 2010, 09:09 PM   #4
tdmoparguy

Yall sure? the reason I'm asking is because they were in my closet and water leaked on them and they have surface rust on the barrels and cylinders.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:33 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Take pics, then remove any wood, ensure they're dry and oil them down with Breakfree or something similar to stop the rust. Could start with a listing and length of time they were wet.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 23, 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
ebr-lvr

Well tdmoparguy, I must have mis-read your initial question.
I thought you asked if we preferred the guns with patina, or
slicked up?
BTW respectfully patina and rust are two very different issues.
I am sure I'd prefer leaving patina.
I am also sure I'd use 4aught steel wool dampened with a 50/50
mix of break-free and hoppe's #9 to gently (going w/the grain)
remove every trace of rust.
Hope this helps

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"

Last edited by ebr-lvr; March 23, 2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old March 23, 2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Perhaps on additional comment

MOPARGUY,

One additional thought is that photographs are not great at showing corrosion on internal surfaces unless they are done right. I have personally never been able to photograph bore and get anything more than glare.

When you sell the pistols, you might want to describe pretty carefully the condition of these internal surfaces.

I do understand that you said that the pistols suffered from only surface rust.

I also agree that probably everyone here would be happy to see some pictures and get an idea what you need to have for the things you are selling.

BTW: Also once a moparguy
Old March 24, 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
tdmoparguy

I'll take some pics tonight and try to put them on here.
Old March 26, 2010, 05:19 PM   #9
tdmoparguy

Heres the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0011.jpg (48.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0013.jpg (33.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0014.jpg (34.6 KB, 100 views)
Old March 26, 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
tdmoparguy

And here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0015.jpg (32.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0016.jpg (28.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0017.jpg (31.2 KB, 79 views)
Old March 26, 2010, 05:25 PM   #11
tdmoparguy

And these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0018.jpg (35.4 KB, 100 views)
Old March 27, 2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Delmar

The one that isn't a Colt, is that a Spiller and Burr? I would sure clean that one up a bit.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:58 PM   #13
tdmoparguy

Yeah is a Spiller.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:16 AM   #14
noelf2

Didn't get any closeups of the barrels. Are they rusted too? Most damage seems to be on the cylinders, which can be easily replaced. I recommend you check into getting replacement cylinders and cleaning them up, brass and all, screw the patina since these are replicas. It will come back, or rub some black powder fouling on the brass to darken it up. You can bring these back to "real purdy" with just a little effort. They'll be worth more then, and you probably won't want to sell them anymore. Just my $.02
Old March 29, 2010, 12:37 PM   #15
tdmoparguy

The barrels are good.
Old March 29, 2010, 07:22 PM   #16
flatheadsal

how about prices? thanks
Old March 29, 2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Delmar

Quote:
I recommend you check into getting replacement cylinders
To me, that would depend on whether any of the rust is inside the cylinder. If it functions well, there are a lot of guys who would rather get a good shooting pistol for $40 less than spend the extra money for a replacement cylinder.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:36 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

I think I agree with Del

If you swap out the cylinder only because it has some surface rust, but there is surface rust elsewhere on the pistol you have gained very little.

If the pistols are internally okay I would sell them as-is with a good description. Let the buyer decide what he wants them to look like.

Several people here have asked about prices indicating that they might be interested. My personal thought is that this forum would be a good place to sell them if the right price can be agreed upon. The reason I feel that way is that, 1) the pistols have been discussed at length in this thread. and 2) we are all friends here.

If a buyer can not be found here, then go to Gunbroker. Clean them up the best you can but carefully describe the condition and your knowledge of the history of the pistols.

I would set a fair but slightly low starting bid. One you can live with and then watch to see what that market assesses the value at.

1851 Navies are popular but they are also abundant. The Spiller and Burr is uncommon. There are plenty of pistols on Gunbroker that don't fetch the prices I have mentioned and I could be way high. On the other hand a lot of pistols sell for good money at the same time an identical pistol can't get a single bid. (Short barrel ROAs with hard sights are getting twice as much as long barrel adjustable sights...Go figure) The brass frames on the Navies and on the .44 may reduce the size of the potential market population. If you are concerned about this you would have to think about starting at a lower price than I mention below.

I would start the Spiller and Burr somewhere between 150.00 and 200.00 and expect it to go up. I would sell the two Navies as a pair with the holsters starting at 200.00 to 225.00 and perhaps not get a bid. A .44 Navy Sheriff is worth upward of 125.00 in good condition. These are not "Bluebook" values, they are Hoy's values and I reserve the right to be wrong.

The Gunbroker market is getting to be as funny as the eBay market. Difficult to predict. Hard to know how many bidders are interested in a given auction. And unfortunatley the venue has attracted some idiots both as sellers and buyers. If only one or two are looking at a pistol and the starting price is low, the seller can wind up giving it away to a bidder who would have been willing to pay a higher price.

I personally would not pay the prices I have mentioned. Not because I think they are too high. It is just pistols I don't need.