The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 6, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Black Rain Ordnance Making New York Compliant ARs

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1746466

I think I like the direction that other companies are making to turn their backs on states that trample the Second Amendment and refuse to alter their guns to fit within the restrictive guidelines that states like New York make up as they go.

I realize it's an economic move for them, but I don't think I would have went that route.
Old April 6, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Ben Towe

That stock is extremely cool looking, I'd like to handle one.
Old April 6, 2014, 04:49 PM   #3

I wouldn't be interested in one even if it was free.
Old April 6, 2014, 06:00 PM   #4
1stmar

Pretty sure stag has been doing this for awhile as well. Their site shows legal ars for just about every state. Including my commie state.... Too bad it's 22lt
Old April 6, 2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Beagle45ACP

Personally, I'm all for it. Yes, it sucks that this is the way things have to be in certain states, but if I lived in CA or NY, I'd love to have the option of owning an AR, and thanks to companies like Black Rain, I'd now be able to.
Hopefully in the future people in those states will be able to own "normal" ARs, but for now, at least they have these options.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old April 6, 2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Dragline45

OP I can see your point on gun companies just turning their backs on states that put up these restrictions, but when it comes down to it these restrictions are hurting the gun owners in those states, many of which did not vote for or support the restrictions. I would rather see these guns get into the hands of rightful gun owners than them have nothing at all just to oppose the politicians. Plus it's sticking it to those ignorant crooked politicians who tried to totally wipe out these guns from the state in the first place.

With that said, that stock is pretty freaking awesome. I was never a huge fan of pistol grips, I would actually prefer an adjustable version of that stock over the usual pistol grip.
Old April 7, 2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Leah Gunn Barrett, executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, said the new weapons “follow the letter of the law but not the spirit, and we’re keeping the governor’s office and the state police on their toes and monitoring this.”
The Germans have a word for that. I believe it's Sauergrapes. Of course, I really don't know much German, so I could be wrong.

That said, if the spirit of the law was an out-and-out ban. The letter was rushed and flawed. Not our problem. They wrote the law; they can deal with the fact that people will find creative loopholes.
Old April 7, 2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Joe_Pike

I realize it puts ARs in the hands of the people of New York that want to buy one and that's a good thing. I just liked the route that the people of Colorado took and recalled those that put the restrictive laws in place and has Magpul leaving the state for greener pastures.
Old April 7, 2014, 09:45 AM   #9
doofus47

Ha! Tom Servo picked out the quote I was going to highlight.
So... I guess the spirit of the law is "No Soup for you!"
Good on Black Rain.
Old April 7, 2014, 01:23 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike
I think I like the direction that other companies are making to turn their backs on states that trample the Second Amendment and refuse to alter their guns to fit within the restrictive guidelines that states like New York make up as they go.
If you're referring to the CA microstamping mandate, I think it's important to differentiate between laws prohibiting certain features and laws mandating certain features- particularly when the mandate is for pie-in-the-sky unproven technology that will be expensive to incorporate.

I despise silly prohibitions as much as anyone here, but I applaud and encourage gunmakers' attempts to circumvent them- it shows how silly the prohibitions truly are, and it gives law-abiding gun owners a product that's at least CLOSE to what they really want.

Mandates are much more dangerous territory. The slippery slope is easy to see; if gunmakers cave now, what's next?
Old April 7, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Joe_Pike

Quote:
The slippery slope is easy to see; if gunmakers cave now, what's next?
Well, what they did in Colorado with the recall of the two Senators would be a good start for any state. If more of that happened then more of those goofy laws could possibly be avoided.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:12 PM   #12
zukiphile

If the goal is to keep ARs out of the hands of crazy people, that stock seems counter-productive.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm not so sure that this is a slippery slope risk.

With the first AWB, so many complaint guns were made for their stupid rules that studies showed it was useless. This contributed a bit to the non-renewal of the ban.

If these guns flood NY with no indication of their use in crime - it would be a similar slap in the face to Cuomo.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:23 PM   #14
BobCat45

The only indication of the use of AR-15s in crime that comes to mind is that crazy kid who shot up the school in Connecticut.

But - will the NRA or CMP allow these in Highpower matches in Service Rifle class? They don't appear like service rifles (like standard AR-15s) but it seems punitive to put them in Match Rifle class.
Old April 7, 2014, 04:24 PM   #15
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
I'm not so sure that this is a slippery slope risk... With the first AWB, so many complaint guns were made for their stupid rules that studies showed it was useless. This contributed a bit to the non-renewal of the ban.
If you're referring to my previous post, I agree with you, and perhaps I didn't make my point clear.

I think mandates are a much slipperier slope than AWB-type feature prohibitions. This is particularly true of the recent CA measure, which features spurious pie-in-the-sky technology that will be difficult to implement.

If the gunmakers accede- what comes next? RFID ID chips? Bluetooth links? Hence, the slippery slope.
Old April 7, 2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I agree that CA is a mess. It has to be played out but if I lived in NY - I might tell my friends to buy one of these.

BTW, I'm waiting till I get Internet access on my Eotech.
Old April 8, 2014, 12:25 PM   #17
osirus82

thumbs up for BRO. I like the look of that gun too, it seems sleek and purdy. Now if they could just get the price in line with other similar ar's style rifles. I could less about the BS laws put in place in CA or NY. If the people of the state don't make their voices heard, they will end up just like CA/NY. I'm a huge fan of replacing lots of the current representatives (not like they actually been working). I love living in Colorado and was proud when senate leader John Morse and that other lady was ousted recently. I couldn't imagine trying to be a gun owner/collector/hunter/ in those nancy states, colorado for the win.
Old April 8, 2014, 12:34 PM   #18
Sharkbite

Now we just need a new governor and the state might be a good one again
Old April 8, 2014, 12:40 PM   #19
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
BTW, I'm waiting till I get Internet access on my Eotech.
I'm not sure I want to see pop-up ads and Wikipedia links about the stuff I'm aiming at.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:08 PM   #20
KyJim

My favorite quote from the article:
Quote:
She charged that manufacturers “make these guns look mean and militarized to appeal to a very small segment of the population, and they do it to make money.”
The antis ban guns for how they look. And, oh my goodness, firearms companies want to make money!
Old April 9, 2014, 03:57 AM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Auto facebook/youtube post a video every time you pull the trigger...
You guys might be on to something here.
I agree getting these guns into civilian hands in the ban states is a worthy cause. Hopefully they cut service to law enforcement also.