The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 5, 2015, 09:41 PM   #1
FMF Corpsman

Remington 700 ADL BOLT NOT ENGAGING

My usual weapon is an M-4, but when I load four 30-06 rounds, there are times when they jam or jumble up. I'm sure that I offset them correctly. Any tips would be invaluable.

Jeff
Old April 5, 2015, 10:32 PM   #2
jason.jardine72

My brand new 5R did the same thing !! It would bind up and on an occasion the bullet turned out of the chamber !! I sent it to Remington and 2 weeks later I could speed through the action with full mag with no problems iv done it as a test a couple hundred times 0 failures before failed 80% of the time !! I don't know what they did but it is correctable! ! Sorry I didn't gave an answer for you
Old April 6, 2015, 07:25 PM   #3
steveNChunter

Sounds like the magazine follower is getting bound up/crooked. Unload the rifle, turn the rifle upside down, loosen the action screws, lift the stock off the barreled action, and slide the magazine spring and follower in and out of the magazine while squeezing the back of the magazine together. If it slides in and out freely, then put it all back together ensuring that the follower spring is straight. Then if it still doesn't work properly, I'd get a new magazine follower spring. Should be less than $10 from somewhere like MidwayUSA.

Here's a picture of the parts I'm referring to:

PS- You're probably already doing this but make sure you are pushing each round all the way to the back of the mag as you load it.

Last edited by steveNChunter; April 6, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old April 6, 2015, 11:24 PM   #4
FMF Corpsman

Steve and Jason, thanks for the response. Unfortunately my expertise tends towards weapons of war.
I bought the rifle at Gander Mountain in Minnesota. Do I need to send it to Remington? If so, to what address?

Gentlemen, thank you for your time.

P.S after 24 years of hit brass down my shirt, I picked a left handed rifle. Could that be the bolts issue?
Old April 7, 2015, 04:56 AM   #5
steveNChunter

All the warranty info you need is in this link - http://www.remington.com/pages/suppo...-warranty.aspx

You can send it in and let them fix it but be prepared to wait awhile getting it back because their current trigger recalls probably has them backlogged for months.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Mobuck

I would spend a LOT more time trying to solve the problem on my own before I spent the time and $$ to send the rifle back to Remington.
First off, the follower/spring may be installed backward. Secondly, there may be a little bur in the stock/mag recess or on the follower. Third, if you don't push the rounds back against the back of the mag, often they will "jumble up".
If you're experienced with the "M-4", you already know about tapping the back of the mag against your helmet or breast plate to ensure the rounds are firmly set back. Same idea with a fixed mag except you're using your thumb to push the rounds back as you load them.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You really don't have to send it all the way back to Remington. There are Remington Service Centers located in MPLS & St Paul or here (link) is where I've had a couple worked on in years past.
Straight down 35w/. A touch South of Faribault Morristown is. Easy to find place.

http://www.ahlmans.com
Old April 9, 2015, 05:27 PM   #8
FMF Corpsman

Steve and Mobuck, I just don't have the knowledge to do it right. I'm not ruining a good weapon by tinkering with it.
Unfortunately my only choice is to send it back and do it right.

Thanks

Doc
Old April 9, 2015, 09:49 PM   #9
jmr40

I'd check to be sure the magazine box and mag spring are installed correctly. It is possible to put the spring in backwards on the ADL.
Old April 10, 2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Mobuck

You don't have to make an effort to "stagger load" the magazine. That will happen w/o operator input. As I mentioned in your other post(and jmr40 just did), the follower may have been installed backward.
It is possible an action with feed rails for a magnum caliber or SAUM got used for a standard caliber. If so, there's no recourse other than returning for service.
What is your caliber again?
Old April 10, 2015, 10:51 AM   #11
cw308

Sounds like the follower & spring, follower may have to much foward pressure, when chambering rounds, does the bottom of the bolt face contact the top of the case head when chambering, should be easy to see whats going on.
Old April 10, 2015, 11:10 AM   #12
cw308

Thing you should be able to do.The M4 is a different weapon then a Remington 700 bolt action, There are minor things you should be able to correct, follower & spring, bolt maintaince & even changing the firing pin spring is no big deal. Checking torque settings & just cleaning to keep your rifle in good working order.
Old April 10, 2015, 11:16 AM   #13
William T. Watts

What Caliber rifle do you have,has it been disassembled?

Is the ammunition factory or someones handloads, have you disassembled the rifle or is it just as it came out of the box. Many times when you hear of unusual symptoms with a firearm it's an operator problem. I would check the caliber stamped on the barrel and what is stamped on the ammo to be sure. William
Old April 10, 2015, 12:27 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Threads merged, as they appear to address the same issue on the same rifle.
Old April 10, 2015, 01:36 PM   #15
FMF Corpsman

Spats, it's a 30-06. My knowledge is limited, is it possible for me to tell if it's reversed?
Old April 10, 2015, 01:43 PM   #16
FMF Corpsman

Right now that rifle has two rounds through it, it'll stay clean a while longer. I just want the damn thing to fire. On a side note, pardon my ignorance, it is a left handed rifle. I don't know how much that changes the dynamics
Old April 10, 2015, 01:48 PM   #17
FMF Corpsman

Willi, out of the box and I believe 168gr rounds
Old April 10, 2015, 02:14 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Corpsman
Spats, it's a 30-06. My knowledge is limited, is it possible for me to tell if it's reversed?
I don't know enough about rifles to help you on the substantive part of this. Sorry. I was just merging two very similar-looking threads. Were they both about the same rifle? Or do you have two 700 ADLs with similar problems?