The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1
10-96

Rem 788 Sights

Been eyeballing my newly acquired 788 in .308 flavor and come up with a question or two.

1. Did nobody ever make leupold type 2-piece scope bases? All I can find are 1-piece and aluminum weaver style (#'s 75 and 76- don't care for 'em).

2. Peep sight bases. Do, or should, I go with a .22 style peep sight base and a more classic look semi-target peep sight? Or simply content myself with a Lyman #57 with target knobs that attach straight to the receiver? I know I'll have to inlet the stock a bit.

3. In years past, were the side mount sight bases only used on .22's? I have a Rem 540 with Redfields and I wouldn't mind that look on my 788- but without the globe front sight. It seems the existing front lends itself fairly well to a rear peep as it is. Any thoughts?

I'm leaning more towards peeps whilst I can still see well enough to enjoy them.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
publius

I've got a 1 piece Redfield base on mine, I imagine they made a 2 piece. Can't help w/the peep sight.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Bailey Boat

No 2 piece bases that I know of since there are only 3 holes tapped into the receiver, 2 front and 1 rear. Think long and hard before you "modify" the original stock. Their expensive to replace (IF you can find one) and that would destroy the value. If you're hell bent to make the mod then look in Midway's catalog for the synthetic replacement and hack on that......

PS: I have a 788-308 Carbine barrel (18.5") in 98% condition for sale if anyone is interested????? PM so it doesn't screw up this thread....
Old August 14, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
10-96

Oh man, I hadn't looked at it from the future value angle. Hmph- more stuff to thinks about.

Old August 14, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
smoakingun

i have a 788 in .308, the rifle just doesn't seem like one that will be a clasic some day, it's nice, but it will brobably go the way of the 721, or model 30, just an obscure rifle in the footnotes of history
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Bailey Boat

I don't think so, check them out (the very few that ARE for sale) on GB and GA. Due to their exceptional accuracy they will always have a niche following. They will run with the 700's all day and surpass most others in the process. I wouldn't be selling mine but I've achieved what I set out to do with it and that was to develop a load that would shoot one hole groups @ 100......... So now I'm bored with it and want to move on to another challenge...... Stupid me!!!!!
Old August 15, 2010, 04:09 PM   #7
smoakingun

the rifle is plenty accurate, a real tack driver. one of the better stock triggers. known for having a faster lock up than most rifles. short bolt throw. action is also known to be weak, due to rear locking lug configuration. the rear locking lug and the american passion for all things strong is what ultimately killed the rifle off
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old August 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #8
10-96

Did anyone ever use the peep sight base (on the side of the receiver) on centerfires as they did with the target type .22's?