The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
jfischer

Some newbie questions

1. Is it possible to use either sugar or tumbler media to flux with, just not a wood working guy so no saw dust laying around.

2. Can you tumble lube bullets that are not originally design for tumble lube?

3. Also looking to trade a Saeco and or Gibbs/Henley 45 cal 2 bullet mold for 9mm mold, see pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibbs 45 2 bullet.jpg (229.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg saeco131-45.jpg (229.8 KB, 27 views)
Old September 20, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2
studman5578

I am not sure about the sugar or tumbler media, but a candle will work fine. You can get a cheap-o candlestick (I found one laying around the other day) and just dip it into the molten lead and let some of it melt off. You don't need much.

Yes you can TL non TL boolits, thats what I do.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old September 20, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
grubbylabs

Crayons work really well also. You can usually find cheap wax almost any where, dollar store thrift store, walmart, lots of places.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 21, 2011, 07:32 AM   #4
GP100man

I prefer parrafin wax ,it seems to make the alloys mix better & draws out more impuritys & dirt .

Be advised it will ignite flash style !! or you can lite it so it does`nt smoke as bad .

Dry wood stick will do ok, just dry it good before sticking it into a melt

Paint stirerrs work .

I use bottom pour furnaces & usually leave the slag on top to have a barrier from O2 & nitrogen.

But skim it off before adding sprue or ingots then reflux.

Last edited by GP100man; September 21, 2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Any source of carbon will tend to react with the oxygen in the dross to tie it up and reduce metal oxide to metal. I suppose you could toss charcoal briquettes in. They just won't melt and spread out nicely like a wax does, and you'll definitely get smoke and ash. Rosin will melt, and is common in solder fluxes, but it also tends to etch copper and iron, so it's not a good choice for long pot life.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 21, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6
hornetguy

I've started using a piece of oak wood to stir in the pot. It works very well, with no flash fires and smoke.

I've been casting for about 40 years, using parrafin and bullet lube to flux with, not knowing the chemistry behind it. When I heard about using a wood stick, I thought, "yeah, right"...

It works.

I would suggest using a hardwood stick, however... one with little to no sap in it.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:01 PM   #7
reloader28

I tried parafin and it worked.
But I seemed to have alotta build up on my pot for some reason and quit using it. Maybe it was just me. Anybody else?

I started using beeswax, lithium grease and parafin that I made for a lube. I dont use it for lube anymore, but it seems to work very good as a flux.

I do have a wood shop but for some reason have never tried sawdust or an oak stick.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:22 PM   #8
studman5578

I also have had buildup with paraffin. It was like a sappy substance that didn't fully evaportate, it just kindof gobbed up on the surface. I couldn't tell but I think it was taking away metal too when I removed it.

I can say for sure though that using candle wax works pretty well. It smokes like there's no tomorrow so I'll try lighting it on fire next time (If I absolutely HAVE to... ).
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"