The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2008, 10:55 PM   #1
sticman

.223 in a Dillon ??

Hey guy's,

I'm starting to load for a Bushmaster V-Match w/ 1 in 9 twist for coyotes. I'm going to try a 75g. BTHP with Accurate 2495, WSR primers. My question is, I'm using a Dillon 550 and I need to know how important it is that I clean , ream etc. the primer pocket. In a single stage it would be easy to add these steps , but with a prog. it seems that it would be a pain. Is this absolutely necessary?
Old March 4, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

No.
Old March 5, 2008, 01:18 AM   #3
somerled

I decap .223s in a unversal die after every other time loaded and clean the pockets with a brush mounted on a power screwdriver. Then I run them through my 550B like normal.

Is it necessary? Probably not. It does help the primers seat properly and easier. It also makes me give a second look to the cases. Sometimes a steel case, a military-spec case with a crimped primer or some damaged cases show up that would be easier to miss otherwise.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Sevens

Reaming the primer pocket is only necessary if your brass is of the military variety and the primers are crimped in place. You'll know when you try to prime them if the pocket seems undersize and it's hard to get them in properly. Reaming them is something you'll only do once. If anything, primer pockets will enlarge over time and use, they won't shrink.

Cleaning the pocket is a whole different animal. Asking that in a reloading forum is kind of like going to a pickup truck forum and asking "Ford" or "Chevy." Myself, I used to clean all primer pockets in every caliber... As much as I enjoy reloading, I hate cleaning primer pockets. So I gave it up on every handgun caliber.

I still do it on each of my rifle calibers... I justify it two ways: Rifle is much more precise shooting at greater distances than any of my handgun shooting. And also, I shoot a heckuva lot fewer rounds of rifle calibers than I do handgun. So I continue to clean those primer pockets on the rifle calibers.

Like anything we do, you could always experiment-- make up 20-50 rounds with very dirty scuzzy primer pockets, and make up 20-50 with bright, clean gorgeous primer pockets and see if you can find results on paper. If you do go through that process, please do come back and share the findings!
Old March 5, 2008, 09:43 AM   #5
jmorris

The only pain will be when you run into crimped primer pockets.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:28 PM   #6
sticman

Thanks for the info. I was sorta thinking the same but wanted to be sure. I hear of the possibility of slam fires and blown up receivers, and didn't want to take any chances. I can't say that I will be shooting at "extremely" long distances but you never know when and where that old coyote is going to appear. I just want to be able to greet him properly when he does.
Do any of you guys have an opinion on the AA 2495 powder? I wanted to try the N-140 but my supply house was out ( they say it's very popular ). I see a lot of writing about the H335 so I may try that too. I know that bench time and "my" rifle will tell (Thats the fun part) but I like to listen to the ones that have been there and done that already.
Old March 5, 2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Slamfire

I have a friend who has the Dillion case trimmer and completely loads his short range ammo (out to 300 yards) start to finish on his Dillion.

Well I am going to be the dark cloud in all of this. I have had slamfires in gas guns, and I don't like priming on the press. So I hand prime all of my rifle ammo with a Lee hand priming tool. That way I absolutely know that all primers are below the case head. I also ream gas gun primer pockets, just to make sure everything is below the surface.

I trim .223 with a Gracey trimmer. That trimmer cuts to length, bevels the inside mouth and removes the flash. When I asked my friend whether he had problems with the dillion trimmer, he said no. The Dillion trimmer cuts the mouth square and I figured without a bevel he would have had problems. Guess not.

Everyone has told you that you have to remove the primer pocket crimp off press. I use a Dillion de crimp tool, it is the best out there, and it works great.

I use the Dillion to dump the powder and seat the bullet, and for my short range ammo in .223, I get sub MOA ten shot groups. And that is with the 75 Hornady and the 69 Sierra.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Ozzieman

I own a Dillon 550 but have never loaded 223 in it and don’t think I ever will. Not that I think its wrong but with 223 I want to watch each and every process including powder and primers before the bullet is stuck in the case.
Over all I agree with every one here but I do clean each every primer pocket for any long gun cartridge.
Is it necessary? Don’t know but it makes me feel better about my reloads and that’s reason enough for me.
I have seen some 223 cases that got so dirty that I don’t think I could have gotten the primers seated far enough with out crushing the faces flat.
It’s also why I clean then size to remove the primers then tumble the cases. It does a fair job of cleaning the primer pockets but many of the cases I have to take a pin and push the cleaning media through the small hole that gets stuck in it.